Author Topic: New Lexon spirit  (Read 14261 times)

carbonazza

Re: New Lexon spirit
« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2023, 04:17:46 PM »
...I was also surprised how thin the downtube actually is. I would estimate it was ~1mm thick?
Yes, it's scary how thin some tubes are.
Did you epoxy the RivNuts ?
Or you just did leave them  dry?

Vipassana

« Reply #76 on: April 06, 2023, 08:24:19 PM »
Yes, it's scary how thin some tubes are.
Did you epoxy the RivNuts ?
Or you just did leave them  dry?

Just dry. I actually didn't even think about epoxy until you mentioned it. Probably would help it from getting loose in the future.

Tijoe

« Reply #77 on: April 29, 2023, 11:20:30 PM »
FYI,  Looks like Lexon recently raised the frame price by $38.00.  Not too bad an increase, but I wonder why...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2023, 02:36:11 PM by Tijoe »

h-habilis

« Reply #78 on: May 03, 2023, 03:35:27 AM »
I was going to ask about the nice looking battery, until reading it is self built  :o
Congrats! Do you have some more details about it?

I would never have dared to rivet a carbon frame.
If you have some more details, I'm interested too.

To be more precise regarding the battery, I modified the case of a new battery ordered from a well reviewed battery builder on Ali, it is a 460mm Reention Dorado that I was able to spec LG INR MH1 cells for, 48v/17.5Ah, USD338 duty and freight free.  After receiving/testing the battery, I voided the warranty by lopping 49mm off of each end, installing 2mm thick CF end caps, and building a custom base.  The base is held in place on the downtube with 2 additional epoxied-in aluminum rivnuts.  I epoxied them in place like the original "rivnuts" because I did not want to stress the holes in the frame by deforming the rivnuts in place.  A motorcycle battery rubber strap was also employed.  I'm now at about 2,200km, first set of drivetrain stuff getting worn out, definitely an advanced level conversion due to fixing the torquey 14.3# motor in place on a carbon frame.  Currently at 48.75#, when I install the lighter motor and a smaller (same physical size, but more air by volume) battery I should come in around 42# total.  Scott Lumen territory.

Tornado

« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2023, 01:57:00 PM »
I ordered one too. I typically do the same as Mathesonmd and build a couple a year. I am going to try out the new SRAM T-type drivetrain on this one.

How do you mount the T-type derailleur, is it UDH hanger on the frame?

h-habilis

« Reply #80 on: June 01, 2023, 03:32:12 AM »
I took the plunge on the Spirit after watching a couple viddies from this talented Brazilian XC racer, I figured if he ain't breaking it, I definitely won't either.  Here is one of his latest.  If your not that into the frame, prior video images of his foxy GF in riding clothes are so worth it, LOL.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/cdeGO9gAvO4

Vipassana

« Reply #81 on: June 01, 2023, 11:36:23 AM »
I'm so curious to see people post and review this frame here, but it just doesn't seem to materialize. 

I'm less worried about breaking the frame and more worried about a loose rear suspension that creaks, clicks, pops, and wiggles after some amount of time. Heck, I'm worried about that on the real Spark, the Chinese clone, even more so.

For what it's worth, I now have 842 miles on my 2023 Spark Team. Frame and suspension have been flawless with zero trouble/maintenance needed.  Headset cable routing has also been fine.  Only consistent issue I'm having is with the Chinese clone Syncros 1-piece stem/handlebar setup; it clicks unless you grease between the stem/steerer tube regularly.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 11:39:37 AM by Vipassana »

h-habilis

« Reply #82 on: June 01, 2023, 09:19:30 PM »

...more worried about a loose rear suspension that creaks, clicks, pops, and wiggles after some amount of time. Heck, I'm worried about that on the real Spark, the Chinese clone, even more so.

Hear that, all valid concerns.  Time will tell, and certainly heightened maintenance will be called for.  Currently at 2,789km, driven daily 50/50 asphalt and trails/beach.  I've had contact with only 2 other FS frames, this one struck me as the flexier one of the group likely due to being the only easy to buy carbon frame, fortunately this has not gotten worse.  Cleaned and repacked the pivots once as a slight creak developed after a couple of days of ripping on intertidal beach.

Tijoe

« Reply #83 on: June 02, 2023, 10:44:51 AM »
I've held off on purchasing one of these frame.  After they raised the price above $1K USD, (plus shipping) I lost interest.   It is the time of year that I ride, and until fall/winter, I don't have any plans to assemble another bike.  I've been enjoying the hardtails I built in the spring.   My 19 lb Spcycle carbon hardtail is so light and handles about 90% of the trails I normally ride on.  I just don't see the need right now for a Spirit frame.   Perhaps they will go on sale in the fall...

h-habilis

« Reply #84 on: June 03, 2023, 12:05:09 AM »
I've held off on purchasing one of these frame.  After they raised the price above $1K USD, (plus shipping) I lost interest.
I ordered mine through a high volume reseller in Thailand, $1075 this price included a decent Rockshox, paint upgrade, headset, derailleur hanger, and axle.  Free shipping and duty free.  Shock and headset are about a $300 value.  If I get into any issues with this frame I'll report back here.  I consider mine under accelerated aging testing because it is currently kitted out with a 1Kw mid drive assist motor.  With the drive, spares, water and body weight I load it about 10Kg beyond suggested limit.  However, I do drive it like an older guy whose bones would take a long time to heal.

Vipassana

« Reply #85 on: June 08, 2023, 11:25:40 AM »
Nice photo h-habilis.  I didn't realize how square the tubes are on the Spirit. 

Tijoe

« Reply #86 on: September 21, 2023, 03:33:00 PM »
I ordered mine through a high volume reseller in Thailand, $1075 this price included a decent Rockshox, paint upgrade, headset, derailleur hanger, and axle.  Free shipping and duty free.  Shock and headset are about a $300 value.  If I get into any issues with this frame I'll report back here.  I consider mine under accelerated aging testing because it is currently kitted out with a 1Kw mid drive assist motor.  With the drive, spares, water and body weight I load it about 10Kg beyond suggested limit.  However, I do drive it like an older guy whose bones would take a long time to heal.

How is the bike holding up?   Any updates after 3+ months of riding?   11-11 sale isn't to far away and this frame is on my list to look at again if the price drops.  I have been investigating E-MTB bike frames.  Most that take 1KW Bafang motors weigh a lot more then your set-up.  (Of course your battery is external and takes up a lot of room in the triangle area.

Another question, have you had any hits on the the motor due to it lower BB position?

h-habilis

« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2023, 09:09:18 AM »
How is the bike holding up?   Any updates after 3+ months of riding?...

I had been thinking that I need to post an update pretty soon on here as last week I began working through the local distributor about a newly discovered crack in the seat tube, about 5cm below where the top tube joins.  Two days ago I was informed the manufacturer would send me a new main triangle for shipping cost and peacock paint upgrade cost, around USD50 total.  Best I can figure it was caused by insufficient strength of the wall of the seat tube.  Dropper post was deeply inserted so not related to being near minimum.  Dropper post seemed to fit OK diameter wise too.  I took them up on their offer but I'll relegating the bike to my wife to use (after replacing main triangle) as she is much lighter and gentler on stuff than me, and she likes the bike as did I.  In summary, I rode the bike every morning, 32-36km, 50/50 trail and asphalt for over 9 months, so over 7,500km.  I had planned to convert it with the way lighter Photon drive but then got spooked off of that drive as longer term expert reviews began to appear.  I can tell you more about the experience after my new triangle arrives.  Ground clearance was right at 21.5cm unsagged, and clearance was never a problem for me but may be for others who ride more extreme.  A week or two before I noticed the frame crack, I had began a new build for my son, it is reviewed under metal frames on this forum.  I was hoping manufacturer would have offered the choice of a partial refund and I would have built another one of the alloy ones, it is less than half the price.

jonnybearback

« Reply #88 on: September 23, 2023, 11:54:47 PM »
Best I can figure it was caused by insufficient strength of the wall of the seat tube
Or the DIY mods.. You definitely won that one with a $50 replacement.

h-habilis

« Reply #89 on: September 24, 2023, 09:08:41 AM »
Or the DIY mods.. You definitely..

Oh yeah I'm happy with the outcome, considering alternative endings.  The install of the drive and battery did not seem to cause any concerns to the areas affected by their install.  The area of the cracking was exactly where the bottom of the dropper would apply force against the inside of the seat tube, as by the fore and aft rocking forces from pedaling.  Portions of the frame where built with multi directional weave carbon, however the seat tube appears to be UD.