Author Topic: Lightcarbon LCG071-D Build  (Read 11099 times)

viktorN

Re: Lightcarbon LCG071-D Build
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2023, 12:12:14 PM »
this one comes the closest to the CruX in terms of geometry, and has one of the lowest weights for a gravel frame you can find as well. Despite the fact that the evidence is clear--with 2 independent reviewers confirming--that this is a bike that "feels slow", I have a hard time wrapping my mind around how that can be.

@GratiotGravel, are you running the same tires between bikes when making your speed/watts comparison?

Are both of you running big tires, generally speaking?

About the geometry (comparing Crux 56 vs LCG071 55), I'd say they are quite different if you're talking about the latest edition of the Crux. Save from the (probably) more complicated carbon layup the Crux also has 1.) 5mm shorter chain stays compared to the LCG071 which would contribute a lot to the perceived "sluggishness" of said bike in my experience. 2.) the Crux has 11mm longer reach which comes closer to a road bike which alters your position to become more aero and aggressive as well as giving your legs some more leverage. 3.) 20,6mm lower stack which could contribute to it feeling a bit more nimble out of saddle.

So summing it all up I think there are quite a few logical reasons for them being quite different bikes. And about the tire size I run the Vittoria Terreno Dry 38/40c tyres on all gravel bikes I test with a set of light Farsport wheels.

I'd look for a gravel bike with as short chain stays as possible where you can run your tires of choice combined with a rather long reach and fairly low stack. The Twitter Gravel V3 has really good geo but unfortunately does look a bit messy inside so can't vouch for the quality, runs great though, very responsive and fun ride. I haven't yet tried the Airwolf YFR068 but that looks quite interesting too (same chain stay length as the Open UP which has a really responsive rear albeit tends to loose grip a bit for various reasons).

Hope that's helpful :)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2023, 12:19:56 PM by viktorN »

leojru

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2023, 10:56:38 AM »
Hi All, the frame finally arrived last week, and was able to build the bike. I have to say I'm really happy with how the build turned out and with the quality of the frameset and paint. So far I've only ridden the bike for about ~130km so I still need more time to do a full report on the ride quality, but so far it feels really comfortable and reactive.

Photos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Y1ccmyU1jPiZjY6cA

Build Specs:

Frame size 52cm: 1110g
Fork w/ axle: 531g
Seatpost: 183.5g
Stem 120cm: 160g
Handlebar 38cm (HBR05): 250g

Other bike components:
Wheels -  FarSports Gravel FS30/30GH DT350: 1395g
Rotors - Sram Centerline 160mm front and rear
Tires - Pathfinder Pro 2Bliss 700x42
Groupset: Sram Force 1x (11spd)
Casset: Shimano DEORE XT 11-Speed (11-42)
Chain: YBN 11spd (Waxed)
Bottom bracket: BBinfinate BB86 M30
Crankset:  Praxis Zayante Carbon-S 172.5
Power meter: Sigeyi Axo
Chainring: Zrace 1x 42t
Saddle - Selle Italia SLR Boost 143mm
Computer mount: Corki Cycles adjustable Stem mount
Pedals: Shimano XT SPD
Bottle cages: Bontrager Bat Cage

Full Build weight as pictured: 8.565kg
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 11:10:48 AM by leojru »

hypersodablue

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2023, 12:46:26 PM »
very nice bike and colors  :D

I'm a newbie checking out what frame to go for.
this frame is quite low stack even in 54 size is it not?
so, quite aggressive like a race oriented gravel bike?

JimLee

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2023, 01:03:34 AM »
very nice bike and colors  :D

I'm a newbie checking out what frame to go for.
this frame is quite low stack even in 54 size is it not?
so, quite aggressive like a race oriented gravel bike?
size 54cm the stack is 598.6mm, the aero road bike in size 54cm, the stack is about 536-545mm.

hypersodablue

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2023, 12:02:28 PM »
wait it's size 55  ? no 54 size this bike..
ok so stack considerably higher than pure race bike.

I find it strange they recommend size 550 for height low as 174, when stand over in this size is 83.3cm.
maybe someone can comment on sizing.

kubackje

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2023, 04:54:43 PM »
wait it's size 55  ? no 54 size this bike..
ok so stack considerably higher than pure race bike.

I find it strange they recommend size 550 for height low as 174, when stand over in this size is 83.3cm.
maybe someone can comment on sizing.

Yes the sizing seems a little odd. I am myself 187cm with 88 inseam and 55 is the size I would ne choosing. 575mm top tube is sweetspot for me on gravel. Can't imagine riding almost 600 top tube with the bigger size reccomend for my height

dsveddy

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2023, 03:26:21 PM »
I normally ride a 56, recently ordered a 55cm of this frame...let's see how it pans out. When I overlay it with a 56cm specialized crux on bikeinsights, the front triangles match up reasonably well, the lightcarbon may even be slightly longer. Very curious to see what I unpack when it gets here!

erazor_head

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2023, 03:03:50 PM »
Hi All, the frame finally arrived last week, and was able to build the bike. I have to say I'm really happy with how the build turned out and with the quality of the frameset and paint. So far I've only ridden the bike for about ~130km so I still need more time to do a full report on the ride quality, but so far it feels really comfortable and reactive.

Photos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Y1ccmyU1jPiZjY6cA

Build Specs:

Frame size 52cm: 1110g
Fork w/ axle: 531g
Seatpost: 183.5g
Stem 120cm: 160g
Handlebar 38cm (HBR05): 250g

Other bike components:
Wheels -  FarSports Gravel FS30/30GH DT350: 1395g
Rotors - Sram Centerline 160mm front and rear
Tires - Pathfinder Pro 2Bliss 700x42
Groupset: Sram Force 1x (11spd)
Casset: Shimano DEORE XT 11-Speed (11-42)
Chain: YBN 11spd (Waxed)
Bottom bracket: BBinfinate BB86 M30
Crankset:  Praxis Zayante Carbon-S 172.5
Power meter: Sigeyi Axo
Chainring: Zrace 1x 42t
Saddle - Selle Italia SLR Boost 143mm
Computer mount: Corki Cycles adjustable Stem mount
Pedals: Shimano XT SPD
Bottle cages: Bontrager Bat Cage

Full Build weight as pictured: 8.565kg

Nice bike!
I'm considering this frame and have a few questions if you dont mind
what height are you?
What is the frame color - light grey?
what did you use to plug the frame bosses?

cheers
Jonny

Dunndunn

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2023, 05:56:30 AM »
Hi! Can anyone comment on how long it took from ordering to the frame was shipped? Been two weeks and no shipping info.

dsveddy

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2023, 11:20:04 AM »
Hi! Can anyone comment on how long it took from ordering to the frame was shipped? Been two weeks and no shipping info.

47 days for me from payment to tracking #, and then a week shipping to doorstep

dsveddy

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2023, 03:40:25 PM »
Alright so I'm going to update everyone on my build so far:

As I noted in my last comment, shipping was not quick. Initially I had been quoted 15 days to shipping. The next 2 times I had asked for updates, Wendy said the frame would ship "by the end of next week", which was a lie on both occasions. Lesson learned, if you care about the lead time, ask for a quoted lead time BEFORE you pay. I had also ordered the frame with no rivets, but was told I would have to wait ANOTHER week for that one, but I could choose to take the riveted frame immediately, so I went for that. Not ideal but I'll live

Options chosen: 55cm frame, 100mm integrated stem, SP03 seatpost, black paint/no custom paint

Weights:
- frame: 1063g
- fork: 499g
- seatpost: 192g
- stem: 153g

Notes:

Frame: tubes look nice, feels very light, but the quality of the bottom bracket is dogshit. I don't know how this frame passed Hambini's BB-weenie test, because my frame's BB is terrible. HUGE deposit of resin on one of the cups that I had to file down. There's a big gouge/void in the other cup. Internal diameter was something like 40.3-40.8mm in diameter, when it should be a bit closer to 41. I've had to file down the void, and hit the cups with some sandpaper to clean up the surface. I'm using a token ninja thread-together BB, evidently the cups are not aligned because the crank has been binding like crazy to install, and does not spin freely. I'm hoping that most of it is just binding between the bottom bracket bearings and the crank spindle, but I might have to resort to a BBinfinite if the situation does not improve with some use. 

Fork: Chunky and solid. I mean, it weighs half as much as the frame. Thru-axle threads were crusty and bind-ey. As on many budget forks, inside of the steerer is fiberglass.

Seatpost: The tube is very thick and chunky. Easily could be 50g lighter. Painted with opaque gloss black paint. Internal profile is slightly oval. I like the seat binding clamps. This post definitely won't fail on you! Definitely a part I look to upgrade soon.

Stem: Awful awful awful. Stem face bolts and threads are not aligned well so it binds when screwing. Internal diameter of handlebar clamp is slightly smaller than spec so it slightly crushes the handlebar (I may have damaged my handlebar, oh well). Heavy. Why did this need to be carbon?

Hardware & assembly: Stem spacers are split, good. Seatpost clamp face is machined to literally appear like a device for filing/grinding things. Pretty okay for post-security, but this will LITERALLY shred the paint/material off of your seatpost where/near you clamp it. Headset bearings are okay, fitment is spot-on, no notes there, good-job lightcarbon. Everything else is bog-standard solid & cheap parts. Steerer tube compression bung and topcap compressor are heavy steel parts. For assembly, I built up with SRAM Force AXS etap, so very easy to just route the brake hoses, especially since I didn't have an integrated bar. No surprises there, I used a magnetic routing toolkit to help me out.

So, overall verdict? I guess for $660, it's fine. I kind of have regrets about getting this bike instead of a used bike, but that's on me. I've spent so much on this bike it's not really competitive with used bike prices anymore, which is really what motivated my road bike build in the first place. As for the quality--I have questions. This frame has ended up in the workshops of several youtubers lately, who have sung its praises--and my experience definitely does not line up. Is this "Wendy's revenge" for me insistently bugging them about getting my frame shipped? Or is some funny business afoot--did lightcarbon decide to let QC slip with the new popularity of this frame? Who knows.

Anways, wish me luck as I finish this build out and attempt a season of cyclocross on it.

timx0915

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2023, 07:51:47 AM »

This is the answer I got when asking on the 22. September. Note mine is with custom paint

Frame LCG071-D 55cm production are already finished.
Now waiting for the color painting.
Estimate lead time of frame is the first week after we come back from our National holidy (September 29th-October 6th)
Sorry for keeping you waiting and beg your more patience.
Anyway,we’ll do our best to deliver ASAP.

Noladutch

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2023, 09:36:04 AM »
Alright so I'm going to update everyone on my build so far:

As I noted in my last comment, shipping was not quick. Initially I had been quoted 15 days to shipping. The next 2 times I had asked for updates, Wendy said the frame would ship "by the end of next week", which was a lie on both occasions. Lesson learned, if you care about the lead time, ask for a quoted lead time BEFORE you pay. I had also ordered the frame with no rivets, but was told I would have to wait ANOTHER week for that one, but I could choose to take the riveted frame immediately, so I went for that. Not ideal but I'll live

Options chosen: 55cm frame, 100mm integrated stem, SP03 seatpost, black paint/no custom paint

Weights:
- frame: 1063g
- fork: 499g
- seatpost: 192g
- stem: 153g

Notes:

Frame: tubes look nice, feels very light, but the quality of the bottom bracket is dogshit. I don't know how this frame passed Hambini's BB-weenie test, because my frame's BB is terrible. HUGE deposit of resin on one of the cups that I had to file down. There's a big gouge/void in the other cup. Internal diameter was something like 40.3-40.8mm in diameter, when it should be a bit closer to 41. I've had to file down the void, and hit the cups with some sandpaper to clean up the surface. I'm using a token ninja thread-together BB, evidently the cups are not aligned because the crank has been binding like crazy to install, and does not spin freely. I'm hoping that most of it is just binding between the bottom bracket bearings and the crank spindle, but I might have to resort to a BBinfinite if the situation does not improve with some use. 

Fork: Chunky and solid. I mean, it weighs half as much as the frame. Thru-axle threads were crusty and bind-ey. As on many budget forks, inside of the steerer is fiberglass.

Seatpost: The tube is very thick and chunky. Easily could be 50g lighter. Painted with opaque gloss black paint. Internal profile is slightly oval. I like the seat binding clamps. This post definitely won't fail on you! Definitely a part I look to upgrade soon.

Stem: Awful awful awful. Stem face bolts and threads are not aligned well so it binds when screwing. Internal diameter of handlebar clamp is slightly smaller than spec so it slightly crushes the handlebar (I may have damaged my handlebar, oh well). Heavy. Why did this need to be carbon?

Hardware & assembly: Stem spacers are split, good. Seatpost clamp face is machined to literally appear like a device for filing/grinding things. Pretty okay for post-security, but this will LITERALLY shred the paint/material off of your seatpost where/near you clamp it. Headset bearings are okay, fitment is spot-on, no notes there, good-job lightcarbon. Everything else is bog-standard solid & cheap parts. Steerer tube compression bung and topcap compressor are heavy steel parts. For assembly, I built up with SRAM Force AXS etap, so very easy to just route the brake hoses, especially since I didn't have an integrated bar. No surprises there, I used a magnetic routing toolkit to help me out.

So, overall verdict? I guess for $660, it's fine. I kind of have regrets about getting this bike instead of a used bike, but that's on me. I've spent so much on this bike it's not really competitive with used bike prices anymore, which is really what motivated my road bike build in the first place. As for the quality--I have questions. This frame has ended up in the workshops of several youtubers lately, who have sung its praises--and my experience definitely does not line up. Is this "Wendy's revenge" for me insistently bugging them about getting my frame shipped? Or is some funny business afoot--did lightcarbon decide to let QC slip with the new popularity of this frame? Who knows.

Anways, wish me luck as I finish this build out and attempt a season of cyclocross on it.

Wow. I would just take a deep breath and relax I bit.

Lets put your frame into what you can truly buy for that 660 bucks. In my world you just bought a surly with a free headset stem and seatpost. Now look at your purchase. Would you rather a surly? Not me.

Lets go higher end well than a thousand bucks cheaper that a steel Rodeo Labs or Fairlight still with the free stuff.

The other thing when you had the stuff out crapping on the holes not being perfect did you take the time to measure the BB? Do you have a problem? And with what exactly? With a 40.8 you do realize that is less than two human hairs from 41. A human hair is .17

Everyone likes to crap on the frame without measuring the bb. The other thing press fit works when ALL things measure right not just the frame. Some brands of bb have the same problems making circles. The thread together or all the others are designed to fix problems. You only need them when you do have a problem.

I personally would just install a bb that measures what it should and ride it. You should order from a brand that offers t47 next time odds are that is what everyone is going to.

Nice bike certainly nicer than my old surly trucker.

ehvoo

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2023, 03:39:58 PM »
Did you use that rubber mallet to install the bottom bracket? 

dsveddy

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2023, 11:53:14 PM »
Wow. I would just take a deep breath and relax I bit.

Lets put your frame into what you can truly buy for that 660 bucks. In my world you just bought a surly with a free headset stem and seatpost. Now look at your purchase. Would you rather a surly? Not me.

Lets go higher end well than a thousand bucks cheaper that a steel Rodeo Labs or Fairlight still with the free stuff.

The other thing when you had the stuff out crapping on the holes not being perfect did you take the time to measure the BB? Do you have a problem? And with what exactly? With a 40.8 you do realize that is less than two human hairs from 41. A human hair is .17

Everyone likes to crap on the frame without measuring the bb. The other thing press fit works when ALL things measure right not just the frame. Some brands of bb have the same problems making circles. The thread together or all the others are designed to fix problems. You only need them when you do have a problem.

I personally would just install a bb that measures what it should and ride it. You should order from a brand that offers t47 next time odds are that is what everyone is going to.

Nice bike certainly nicer than my old surly trucker.

Yeah I agree for $660 it’s quite good. All the complaints I have, have solutions. I really just present my review of the build to provide some contrast to the overly-rosy reviews from the YouTubers. I chose this frame because I was led to believe this frame was exceptionally high quality despite the price. And while it’s not bad, (especially compared to some of the competition) it has significant flaws I hadn’t expected that need attention in the workshop.

I’ve taken the bike out for its first ride, it’s a fine bike! Crank is no longer binding so much, hopefully I start feeling better about it as a whole.

Oh and for the record, the mallet was not used on my bearings, I just desperately need to clean up in my workshop  ;D