Author Topic: Lightcarbon LCG071-D Build  (Read 11100 times)

GratiotGravel

Lightcarbon LCG071-D Build
« on: July 11, 2022, 06:41:12 PM »
Recently upgraded my primary gravel bike (CruX) to AXS components so I had this perfectly good sram force1 mechanical group just sitting around. Decided to purchase a Lightcarbon “monster” gravel frame with integrated bars. First off, all communications with Wendy at Lightcarbon were detailed, prompt, and informative. Took about 3 weeks from order date to having the frame at my doorstep in Michigan. Built the bike up completely with spare parts around my little bike mechanic area (had to buy bottom bracket and the 700x50c tires) The bike currently has red cannondale stickers on it as I had those laying around my shop and wanted to get an idea of how the red/black theme would look.  New custom red Lightcarbon decals are ordered and expected any day.

Have about 400 miles on the bike so far and absolutely love it. Crisp handling, stiff and responsive yet quite compliant on rough and loose/rocky gravel. My CruX is notably faster at similar watts, however, the Lightcarbon would be my choice for a ride lasting longer than 3-3.5 hours. Excited to get the bike on some single track soon.

jefflinde

Re: Lightcarbon LCG071-D Build
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2022, 09:28:54 PM »
that looks amazing.  I have one LC frame with a second on order.  once i complete my mountain bike fleet, this is the first frame on order.  Cant believe those are 50mm tires in there.  so much room!

00Garza

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2022, 02:11:26 PM »
Very nice bike. Any hiccups with the build process?

GratiotGravel

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2022, 11:31:31 AM »
No real hiccups to speak of. Had to run the shift cable and rear brake hose twice, as I didn’t have the headset spacers in place the first time. To my surprise, the cable routing through the frame was actually quite simple. The routing through the handlebars was a bit more difficult but still not bad at all.

I was surprised at the clearance with the 700x50c tires installed as well. Plenty of room for mud clearance. Bike rolls extremely well on them also.

My only complaint (and it’s minor) - the supplied garmin mount does not have the tightest snap in fit for the garmin head unit. It is a bit loose which leads to some unnecessary rattling when on rough gravel. I may try to put a small bead of flexible silicone in the mount to make the head unit fit tighter and hopefully eliminate the rattling.

JimLee

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2022, 03:39:04 AM »
Hi my friend,
Thank you for your support to our LCG071-D carbon gravle frame with integrated handlebar, max tire: 700*53c.
The Gamin mount can fit for three most popular bike computer: Garmin/Bryton/Wahoo.
There are several gaskets in the kit. Check whether your gaskets are used correctly.
Jim Lee from Lightcarbon.

ENEP

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2023, 06:13:56 AM »
Hello

Nice! Like the looks of this frame.
How's it holding up?

GratiotGravel

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2023, 10:03:57 PM »
Zero complaints. Have about 1500 miles on it now - a mix of nicely manicured gravel, chunky gravel, two tracks, single track, and a small amount of pavement. I abuse the bike pretty bad as I use it as my “I don’t care” bike. It handles very well and it is very compliant with the 700x50c tires. I really enjoy riding the bike and actually think it’s more comfortable to ride compared to my CruX. Now, the crux is around 1.5mph faster at the same watts/HR so the comfort comes at a bit of a speed decrease.

Tangerined

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2023, 02:01:28 PM »
I also decided to pick this frame after seeing posts here and videos on Youtube.

I just finished painting it yesterday and hopefully get it built up tomorrow after the clearcoat cures some more. Excited to ride it! First time buying and building with a Chinese frame.

wandulus

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2023, 03:42:53 AM »
I also decided to pick this frame after seeing posts here and videos on Youtube.

I just finished painting it yesterday and hopefully get it built up tomorrow after the clearcoat cures some more. Excited to ride it! First time buying and building with a Chinese frame.

Really nice color!! spray paint?

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2023, 07:43:54 AM »
Yeah, looks really nice  :)

leojru

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2023, 02:02:40 PM »

I also just placed my order for this frameset. Beautiful color.

Lets us know how the build goes. I noticed that on the youtube videos, some people had problems with the seatpost clamp being difficult to install. Did you have the same problem?

Tangerined

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2023, 03:57:33 AM »
Really nice color!! spray paint?

Thanks! I used an automotive clear coat mixed with pearlescent pigment powder. 

Tangerined

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2023, 04:02:38 AM »
I also just placed my order for this frameset. Beautiful color.

Lets us know how the build goes. I noticed that on the youtube videos, some people had problems with the seatpost clamp being difficult to install. Did you have the same problem?

Thanks. The build went okay. I'll get some proper pictures soon. The handlebar cable routing was pretty challenging, I have an issue that the cable/brake hose pulls the steering slightly to the right. And yes, the seatpost clamp is a bit finicky, you have to position it just right before you insert the seatpost, but once the seatpost is in it's not a problem. I

viktorN

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2023, 04:53:56 PM »
For anyone looking for more reviews of this bike I can +1 on the quality of this frame.
It's not a race oriented ride (probably due to the longer chain stays) but it sure is comfortable, stable and good for longer rides.

Very well finished internally I shall add, size 56 weighs as follows:
Frame: 1010g
Fork: 436g (cut)
Seatpost: 184g
Handlebars: 424g (100x40)
GPS mount: 24g (wahoo)
Thru axles: 85g

dsveddy

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2023, 03:59:29 PM »
For anyone looking for more reviews of this bike I can +1 on the quality of this frame.
It's not a race oriented ride (probably due to the longer chain stays) but it sure is comfortable, stable and good for longer rides.

Can I prod you and @GratiotGravel on this? I've spent a good amount of time over the last week in search of a CX frame, researching the geometry of pretty much every chiner gravel frame...this one comes the closest to the CruX in terms of geometry, and has one of the lowest weights for a gravel frame you can find as well. Despite the fact that the evidence is clear--with 2 independent reviewers confirming--that this is a bike that "feels slow", I have a hard time wrapping my mind around how that can be.

@GratiotGravel, are you running the same tires between bikes when making your speed/watts comparison?

Are both of you running big tires, generally speaking?