Author Topic: WheelTop EDX OS Series Wireless MTB Drivetrain  (Read 5688 times)

Tijoe

Re: WheelTop EDX OS Series Wireless MTB Drivetrain
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2023, 10:01:37 AM »
"Posted while scratching my head wondering about this variant of the EDS OX"

On another forum that has a Wheeltop EDS thread going, they posted an image of a different version of the EDS OX with what appears to be a "fixed battery" with a built in connector to charge the battery.   

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805159928716.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.115.7c1cMf7PMf7PCS&algo_pvid=34a47020-9f02-4bac-8a8e-427cb6ff01bc&algo_exp_id=34a47020-9f02-4bac-8a8e-427cb6ff01bc-57&pdp_npi=3%40dis%21USD%21420.9%21399.86%21%21%21%21%21%40211bf49716874458129797064d07c1%2112000033992666065%21sea%21US%21122805404&curPageLogUid=socUtnteY7Fr

jonathanf2

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2023, 10:58:02 AM »
"Posted while scratching my head wondering about this variant of the EDS OX"

On another forum that has a Wheeltop EDS thread going, they posted an image of a different version of the EDS OX with what appears to be a "fixed battery" with a built in connector to charge the battery.   

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805159928716.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.115.7c1cMf7PMf7PCS&algo_pvid=34a47020-9f02-4bac-8a8e-427cb6ff01bc&algo_exp_id=34a47020-9f02-4bac-8a8e-427cb6ff01bc-57&pdp_npi=3%40dis%21USD%21420.9%21399.86%21%21%21%21%21%40211bf49716874458129797064d07c1%2112000033992666065%21sea%21US%21122805404&curPageLogUid=socUtnteY7Fr

Isn't that the version that Wheeltop was forced to make because SRAM sued them? I would think the removable battery version is the more better version to have.

Tijoe

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2023, 12:19:03 PM »
I've spent hours trying to find any legal proceedings by SRAM against Wheeltop. (LANXI WHEEL TOP CYCLE INDUSTRIES CO. )  I have not been able to find anything other than speculation.  If you have any links or information, please post.  I would like to find out more.
- I suspect that there was some sort of "cease and desist" letter sent to Wheeltop because Wheeltop did write me once that they could not sell their product in the US and several other countries.  An integrated battery might be the work around?

Sriracha

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2023, 01:07:16 PM »
Just got a time to try it today with app.
Seem like this SPECIAL version cannot connect to the APP

Any one tried, and work. Plz plz plz share

Tijoe

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2023, 08:30:12 PM »
My latest order of the "combo with cassette, chain and EDS"f has not arrived yet.  No help here.   You should still be able to pair the button module to the derailleur and set it up on the bike in its manual set up mode.
What app are you trying to use?  Apple or Android?

Sriracha

« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2023, 11:15:40 PM »
Yes, I can still pair with the bottom, but my app on Android can't find the derailleur.

Not sure why, or older version may work, or Change county would work ?

nickobec

« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2023, 11:41:57 PM »
"On another forum that has a Wheeltop EDS thread going, they posted an image of a different version of the EDS OX with what appears to be a "fixed battery" with a built in connector to charge the battery.   

I am pretty sure Joe from China Cycling on YouTube mentioned it, officially for better water proofing, but suspects SRAM, their patents and lawyers with cease and desist letter.

That said Campagnolo's new groupset has removable batteries (just different front and rear) so Wheeltop could switch back next generation, if water proofing issues resolved ;-) and say to SRAM "Campagnolo have removable batteries, so why can't we". As SRAM will not take legal action against Campagnolo, and that lack of action can be used as a legal defense.

visited this thread looking for info on Wheeltop Road EDS drivetrain that was on display at EuroBike (have go through my youtube history and rewatch videos to find out who).

pecampbe

« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2023, 11:08:16 AM »
Isn't that the version that Wheeltop was forced to make because SRAM sued them? I would think the removable battery version is the more better version to have.

I can't believe they were able to get a patent on the concept of removable battery. Being able to put a patent on such a basic concept is ridiculous.

kbernstein

« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2023, 11:57:58 AM »
Yup, that's intellectual "property for you" . They even claim monopolies on colors, and both sram and shimano are very aggressive on patents. Not to get too political but the consumer really suffers from this bullshit  :-\

Sriracha

« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2023, 09:11:13 AM »
Just mail to WheelTop and ask why the app can't find the device.
They then send me link to latest app release. Now, just able to connect to the APP, and yes we can fine tune, and select from 7-13speed like normal products.

I did update firmware to lastet version as well.

Just wait for my new wheel, and this weekend, hopefully I can test this OX

Tijoe

« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2023, 01:15:52 PM »
Just mail to WheelTop and ask why the app can't find the device.
They then send me link to latest app release. Now, just able to connect to the APP, and yes we can fine tune, and select from 7-13speed like normal products.

I did update firmware to lastet version as well.

Just wait for my new wheel, and this weekend, hopefully I can test this OX
Can you please post the link to the latest version of the application for Android.

Tijoe

« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2023, 01:33:41 PM »
I see  several future problems with the change in the battery design.

1.  I have purchased and received a total of 4 of the kits with a removable battery.   Now that they have changed the design, I wonder how long the batteries will last before they no longer take a charge?   one year, 2 years, 3 years?  Once my batteries no longer take a charge, what will I use to keep the derailleur powered?  Will I have used the derailleur so much riding my bikes that I will want to replace the derailleur with a new one before the batteries die?

2.  With a fixed battery I see 2 problems.  First, If you are on the trail and the fixed battery runs out of power you are stuck. No way to shift. - ride it home fixed gear?  Perhaps carry some sort of power bank and sit next to the bike until the derailleur get enough charge to get yo home?  Second, what happens when the battery no longer takes a charge?  Can the battery be removed and replaced?

japjoe7

« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2023, 07:31:39 AM »
I see  several future problems with the change in the battery design.

1.  I have purchased and received a total of 4 of the kits with a removable battery.   Now that they have changed the design, I wonder how long the batteries will last before they no longer take a charge?   one year, 2 years, 3 years?  Once my batteries no longer take a charge, what will I use to keep the derailleur powered?  Will I have used the derailleur so much riding my bikes that I will want to replace the derailleur with a new one before the batteries die?

2.  With a fixed battery I see 2 problems.  First, If you are on the trail and the fixed battery runs out of power you are stuck. No way to shift. - ride it home fixed gear?  Perhaps carry some sort of power bank and sit next to the bike until the derailleur get enough charge to get yo home?  Second, what happens when the battery no longer takes a charge?  Can the battery be removed and replaced?

You should email there support and ask. There has to be a way to remove the battery and replace it. I can't image they would make it hard to replace for a full derailleur. I would think it would be something like the attached pic.

Tijoe

« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2023, 11:56:19 AM »
I am becoming frustrated fast.  I deleted the Wheeltop app from my Android/Samsung phone. and loaded whatever app is posted on the web link I had.  I was able to log in, and get to the "add equipment" page.  When I press the "find nearby devices"  nothing is found, and the app goes back to the previous page. 

I switched to my wife's Apple phone.  On this version of the app, it finds the new derailleur.  When I try to bind the derailleur to the app.  It wont bind and connect to the derailleur.   Tried many times.

Then I tried inputting the MAC ID listed for the derailleur on the Apple App,  back into the option on my Android version, and nothing happens.

I am wondering if the Aliexpress special sale that included the SRAM/chain is something unique, where they might have disabled the ability to change the derailleur settings.

Thoughts?

I would also like to see a link to the App that Sriracha used to set up his derailleur.