Author Topic: Tideace MTB029/Spcycle M028 dropout  (Read 588 times)

Lovewookie

Tideace MTB029/Spcycle M028 dropout
« on: July 26, 2022, 06:36:16 AM »
I have a Spcycle M028 frame, it's the same as the Tidace MTB029. got it a month or so ago and have been out on it  a few times since.

one problem I've found is that the mech hanger dropout comes loose. If I'm riding something relatively technical, I hear a small bang and the rear starts to feel a bit wobbly. The axle is tight, but the dropout loose. Solved by tightening the dropout screw, but I don't think it should budge in use. I use threadlock on the dropout screw too.

it's a thru axle M12 1.5mm, pretty standard, but I'm not sure about it. The inner plate is the part that is threaded for the axle, with the outer plate just acting to anchor the dropout to the frame.
This means that if there's any lateral flex at the hub/dropout, the axle is exacerbating this, as the inner plate is only fixed in by the 12mm long M4 bolt on the outer plate.

I've seen this design before, but normally with more than one fixing bolt.

Most often, I see the same looking design, but the inner part is not threaded, the outer plate carries the M12 thread for the thru axle, and the anchor bolt to hold both sides to the dropout when the wheel is out.
like this:

With that type, the thru axle tightens on the outer plate of the dropout, squeezing it all together.

Spcycle have come back to say they think it's the bolt that's not strong enough, so i'll try a different and slightly longer M4 bolt(14mm is all I can fit before it's too long for the dropout) and see where we are. I'm not totally convinced though, so may need to bodge something.

anyone had similar problems?