Poll

Check out the inside of this fork, where the steerer is joined to the fork. What are your thoughts?

It’s a dogs breakfast in there. Why are you riding on it?
11 (64.7%)
Not the prettiest bonding job, but it should be Ok.
4 (23.5%)
This is actually pretty normal. Most forks look like this inside.
0 (0%)
Other
2 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Rate the inside of this fork:  (Read 1513 times)

1Sigma

Rate the inside of this fork:
« on: July 28, 2022, 06:44:43 AM »
So this is my fork, at the bottom. Where the steerer is joined to the rest of the fork.
Visually it’s always bothered me, but it hasn’t caused any problems, or shown symptoms of weakness (like creaking or flexing).

I personally think it’s fine, but a sloppy job.  Interested to hear what you all think - if it is a cause for concern, or if this is perfectly normal.

Better than average - Extra Average

eucalyptus

Re: Rate the inside of this fork:
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2022, 07:36:45 AM »
Bot !reminde me in 365 days

I have no comment about your steerer tube, I just wanna check in next year to see if you are still alive.

bamboo_mountain

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2022, 08:01:19 AM »
That is pretty rough, none of my forks look close to that (including my VB 168). Even if it is okay, if a more serious crack were to develop you wouldn't be able to see it through the loose carbon.

1Sigma

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2022, 08:14:33 AM »
Bot !reminde me in 365 days

I have no comment about your steerer tube, I just wanna check in next year to see if you are still alive.

Well…if you don’t hear from me in a year…

RDY

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2022, 04:31:28 PM »
A forest of unattached fibers is not a good look (I'm sure this is not mold bag) ... what frame is this from?

1Sigma

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2022, 05:28:15 PM »
A forest of unattached fibers is not a good look (I'm sure this is not mold bag) ... what frame is this from?

Edit: I didn’t actually answer your question.  It’s from my 168

So, past the forest of fibres there is a mould bag, but it doesn’t really show in the pics, but I can tell as it is clearly plastic.

But yea, not the best look.

On the other hand, my replacement HB010 came in and the insides are much cleaner than the original one I got.  Came in matte black, instead of the chameleon purple I had, but it doesn’t really clash.

Here is the old handlebar after removal, and the finished replacement job (tapeless handlebar taping FTW)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 07:33:59 PM by 1Sigma »

hazzer19

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2022, 01:35:41 AM »
Nice wrap job!

Pedaldancer

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2022, 09:11:09 AM »
Maybe I didn't see it. What is the company of the fork?

From my side: if they are not able to make a good carbon binding in the fork, basically a straight rod ..I would not have a good feeling for the more complex frame shapes

Irideslowly

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2022, 09:47:56 AM »
Maybe I didn't see it. What is the company of the fork?

From my side: if they are not able to make a good carbon binding in the fork, basically a straight rod ..I would not have a good feeling for the more complex frame shapes

Its the velobuild vbr 168.

RDY

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2022, 12:51:16 PM »
It's difficult to know what to say other than this should never have left the factory.  I don't really understand how what we're looking at is either possible, or what has happened.  Guessing you didn't initially notice and now have.  Have you contacted VB about a replacement fork?  If you intend to keep riding it, maybe take it to a carbon repair place with ultrasound equipment / endoscope so you know what's actually going on and if it is safe to ride.

Velovelo

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2022, 06:48:44 PM »
So this is my fork, at the bottom. Where the steerer is joined to the rest of the fork.
Visually it’s always bothered me, but it hasn’t caused any problems, or shown symptoms of weakness (like creaking or flexing).

I personally think it’s fine, but a sloppy job.  Interested to hear what you all think - if it is a cause for concern, or if this is perfectly normal.

Reminds me of this youtube video "HIS CHINESE CARBON BIKE BROKE IN HALF!" at timestamp: 7:06. 

« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 06:50:59 PM by Velovelo »

1Sigma

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2022, 01:38:43 PM »

Reminds me of this youtube video "HIS CHINESE CARBON BIKE BROKE IN HALF!" at timestamp: 7:06. 

Ha! I hope not!  I may not have abused it as much as this guy, but I have put a lot more kms on less than ideal roads than him.

2 things that make me think this fork is probably ok.
After several thousand Km, there is no sign of any sort of weakness, and the carbon fibre forest still  looks as bad today as it did on day 1 (suggesting nothing has gotten worse)

Queen of Skulls

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2022, 02:18:43 PM »
Edit: I didn’t actually answer your question.  It’s from my 168

So, past the forest of fibres there is a mould bag, but it doesn’t really show in the pics, but I can tell as it is clearly plastic.

But yea, not the best look.

On the other hand, my replacement HB010 came in and the insides are much cleaner than the original one I got.  Came in matte black, instead of the chameleon purple I had, but it doesn’t really clash.

Here is the old handlebar after removal, and the finished replacement job (tapeless handlebar taping FTW)

BTW love the unicorns and purple.
Off with your Head tubes...

If the girls dont find you pretty they should at least find you handy...

[color #FE0000]P[/color][color #FDA601]R[/color][color #FFFF01]I[/color][color #008000]D[/color][color #1614E4]E[/color][color #80007E]!!!![/color]

BalticSea

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2022, 04:15:18 PM »
I rate it yikes out of 10.

1Sigma

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2022, 06:26:44 AM »

BTW love the unicorns and purple.

Thanks, I reckon they add 2 watts each