Author Topic: EC90 Carbon aero Drop Bar  (Read 786 times)

jcr

EC90 Carbon aero Drop Bar
« on: August 15, 2022, 10:25:58 PM »
I am debating about getting some carbon drop bars but concern about flex which I have seen in a lot of Youtube reviews of other carbon bars. Especially a 80kg and somewhat powerful rider. Then I have ran into the deal on EC90 aero drop bars https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004018254016.html

Seems a little too good to be true... just wondering what are people's experience with these bars?

patliean1

Re: EC90 Carbon aero Drop Bar
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2022, 12:35:40 PM »
In my opinion...the alloy aero bars from Prime Bike Components (sold on Wiggle/Chain Reaction) are the best value for aero bars.

I own both the alloy ($65) and the carbon ($200) versions. To me it's worth the little extra weight for the piece of mind.

Couple years ago I had the OG Evkin version of those EC90 bars and a minor crack formed where the bars attach to the stem. And no I didn't over torque the bolts. Cheap, Lightweight, Robust. Pick two...but you can't have all three.

wfl3

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2022, 09:29:24 AM »
I'd go with something else, these are not for riders over about 140-150lbs max IMO.

jcr

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2022, 02:04:12 PM »
I do have the Prime alloy bar, was wondering if it was worth consider the carbon Ali special for lighter weight but I guess based on the feedback probably safer to go heavy..

frnchy

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2022, 07:57:23 PM »
I've found it best to go with carbon bars that (1) are sold under the maker's own branding, i.e. not fakes of other brands or generics a la EC90, (2) aren't advertised as lightweight, because usually an unsafe amount of material is removed to hit that weight, (3) are from a brand that has been around for enough time to get a positive reputation, and (4) don't have internal routing through the bars - though admittedly this is more of a personal preference, and internal routing can be fine, but often it seems as though the holes are poorly molded/drilled and reinforcement in those areas is lacking.

All that said, my recommendation would be these Seraph aero bars: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2255800581774460.html . I've run these on my road bike for the last 3500 miles with zero issues and I would happily buy them again.

jcr

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2022, 08:44:48 PM »
I am ok with the internal routing which allows for less bar tape. Was looking at OG-EVKIN but also heard mixed reviews