Author Topic: Best FM909 downcountry tires  (Read 1929 times)

endo.alley

Best FM909 downcountry tires
« on: August 16, 2022, 05:38:26 PM »
I am building an FM909. I am enquiring what people think would be the best down-country tires for this bike. A compromise between reasonably light weight, good rolling resistance. and decent descent characteristics.

zilcho

Re: Best FM909 downcountry tires
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2022, 07:59:54 PM »
On my 936 I started by copying the NS Synonym TR spec with a 2.4 Rekon front, 2.35 Ikon rear. It was a fast combo but pretty sketchy on anything loose. I'm currently on 2.6 Rekon front, 2.4 Rekon rear. I don't like the 2.6 front, it makes the steering feel like a boat and I don't think I'm gaining traction or cushion. Up next I'm considering a 2.4 Dissector or Forekaster front, 2.4 Rekon rear.

If you want an XC build I'd consider Rekon front, Rekon Race rear. Ikon is just too slick for my taste.

multig

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2022, 06:32:36 AM »
I'm use Forekaster (1 gen) in the mountains and when slippery.

Swolie74

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2022, 08:51:57 AM »
Honestly, the "best" tire is different for every terrain and locality... we can recommend out the wazoo but doesn't mean it will be any good for you. Best bet is to hit the trails in your area and see what other people have/ask them questions...

Also how does one define a "down country" tire.... I know the new Forekaster was just remade with a heavier casing and categorized as "down country" (which kills me because I liked those tires because they were light-ish and most importantly inexpensive). I just got a set of Vittoria Martello's that I'll be trying here in Arizona, I'll likely be throwing on some Mezcal/Barzo's to try as well.

endo.alley

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2022, 09:54:22 AM »
Ive been looking at Racing Ralph's. Does anybody have an opinion?

Zomb1e

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2022, 10:03:24 AM »
Rekon 2.4 maxxterra front, Ardent Race 2.2 rear.
And of course it really depends of where and how you ride. Canadians near Vancouver city probably will call Minions or Assegai/Aggressor combo to be a proper "downcountry" setup.

Ive been looking at Racing Ralph's. Does anybody have an opinion?
These tires are good for XCM. Some skilled guys can even use them for XCO racing. But they are definitely not the best choice for DC.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 10:07:19 AM by Zomb1e »

Lukesjr

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2022, 10:49:25 AM »
I have a lot of experience with racing ralphs, it's on my XC bike right now.  They are superfast and pretty durable, a great tire. They are also slick.  I ended up taking it off the front and leaving it on the rear of my xc bike because of this. 

For down country, I don't think it's a good tire.  But it depends on what you mean by down country.  I consider down country a do it all bike, between  XC and enduro type of riding.  Basically, one bike to rule them all.

I think the assegai and aggressors, the rekons are good also.  I have a minion set up right now, and that feels so slow that I probably won't run them again.

I also don't recommend going above 2.4 (2.5 front) for down country, something about 2.6 tires feel so slow.

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2022, 04:12:26 PM »
My main issue with the Aggressor is that there’s no EXO+ casing; you have to choose from either regular EXO or DoubleDown. For me the former is too easily destroyed and the latter too harsh/not supple enough; it bounces off technical chunk instead of being smoothly composed like an EXO+ or Schwalbe Apex.

Personally for “fast rolling all-mountain,” I chose the Dissector 2.6 EXO+ but that’s likely a bit too much tread for the kind of DC riding you’re thinking of.

The new Schwalbe Wicked Will is worth considering — a little more tread than Racing Ralph or Rocket Ron but still very fast rollling and light.

endo.alley

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2022, 10:01:09 AM »
Thanks. I am also building an FM 1002 with some decent parts off another bike. A few new parts thrown in. The wheels on the FM1002 have Maxis DHF and DHR tires. That bike will be for more aggressive riding. This fm909 bike will be for more flowy and longer distance riding. And maybe some cross-country racing. But it will have to handle occasionally more aggressive downhill riding also. In Western Colorado sometimes the long flowy all day in the saddle trails have some tough ledgy or rooty sections to get through.

endo.alley

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2022, 09:55:11 AM »
In the end, I ordered a Rekon front, Rekon Race rear. Sized 2.35/2.2. They haven't arrived yet. So time will tell.

qwerty

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2022, 09:17:10 AM »
Wolfpack: Trail front, Cross rear.

RDY

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2022, 01:05:38 PM »
Probably too light for your purposes, but I'll be running Conti Race King Protection Bernstein TLR on the rear, and Cross King Protection Bernstein TLR on the front.

ENEP

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2022, 04:27:37 AM »
I run a FM936 with Specialized Ground Control front and Fasttrak rear. Highly recommended.

Medico

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2022, 08:37:36 AM »
I run a FM936 with Specialized Ground Control front and Fasttrak rear. Highly recommended.

+1 for the ground control

zilcho

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2023, 07:50:01 AM »
Update, I've been running the new Forekaster 2.4 in front with a Rekon 2.4 in the rear and this is my new favorite combo. The Forekaster has so much grip in corners on the loose over hard that I usually ride and doesn't feel like you're giving up any speed