Author Topic: Carbonda FM1002 or LightCarbon LCFS947  (Read 3435 times)

zeecue

Carbonda FM1002 or LightCarbon LCFS947
« on: August 19, 2022, 12:36:17 AM »
Hello

I have been following a few of you build your bikes and i want to build my own. But i can't decide on which one to choose.
Lightcarbon also have offered to sell the frame with a carbon wheelset(OE 87MB).
From what i can see the Carbonda is a bit newer and uses a more common shock, where the LightCarbon uses a bit uncommon shock.

FullCarbonAlchemist

Re: Carbonda FM1002 or LightCarbon LCFS947
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2022, 11:41:51 AM »
I really strongly recommend the FM1002. It’s consistently impressed me and has a bunch of geometry advantages that seem subtle on paper but feel wonderfully balanced in the real world. Leverage is also lower and it pedals remarkably well for a 4-bar.

If a 1002 can survive an entire big mountain season under me — a hard charging, sendy ~200lb rider who spends a lot of his time on harsh, smashy rock armored trails — it should be able to stand up to almost anything. And the season’s more than half over here at this point…

zeecue

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2022, 12:35:16 PM »
Thanks for the advice. Might get the Carbonda Frame and wheelset from LightCarbon(would have to pay 2 times shipping).

Draz

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2022, 08:46:27 PM »
Close call, if lcfs947 had adequate seatpost insertion.
If you are purchasing medium size frame go for carbonda.
I really don't know which one is stronger frame but considering the weight they should be pretty close. Extra weight of LC is possibly caused by overbuilt seat tube/shock mount section.
Quality of materials was okey with LC, found no issue.
Definitely, remove suspension linkage to check if greased enough.
Raw finish is not recommended so order as painted, if you have a car color on your mind just look for Ral code online.
I did paintjob my self/painter guy at a workshop. Not ideal..
Some close up shots.

https://imgur.com/a/lX4lcHO

casual_build

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2022, 01:24:35 AM »
IIRC, some people had frames crack with Light Carbon, FlyBike (Carbonda's parent company) has a pretty great reputation. I just finished building my FM1002 and took it out for a super technical ride today. It's an amazing bike. Absolutely in love with it. Paint isn't great and a lot of grease was missing but the frame is rock solid and the modern geo results is an incredible ride. It climbs very well too.

There is also the FM1003, the one review we have of it says its amazing.

Close call, if lcfs947 had adequate seatpost insertion.
If you are purchasing medium size frame go for carbonda.
I really don't know which one is stronger frame but considering the weight they should be pretty close. Extra weight of LC is possibly caused by overbuilt seat tube/shock mount section.
Quality of materials was okey with LC, found no issue.
Definitely, remove suspension linkage to check if greased enough.
Raw finish is not recommended so order as painted, if you have a car color on your mind just look for Ral code online.
I did paintjob my self/painter guy at a workshop. Not ideal..
Some close up shots.

https://imgur.com/a/lX4lcHO

Impressive paint job for doing it yourself man, looks good.

My dropper post is a OneUp V2 180 and it will goes in all the way to the max insertion in my Large frame.

zeecue

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2022, 10:11:26 AM »
Thanks for all the awesome replies.
I'm 179cm tall so i guess i would need a size Large FM1002?
The color I'm looking to get it colored is YS2430 - Black with "rainbow specles".
I might still get the LightCarbon wheels as it's a good deal from them.

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2022, 01:52:29 PM »
I’m about exactly 6 feet tall with long legs, and the Large 1002 fits me great.

Boybiskit

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2022, 12:32:21 AM »
+1 for the Carbonda. Built one for my son a few months ago and he loves it. Rode it myself last week and was really impressed. I am 178cm and the med felt too small on the climbs, but awesome going down. For 179cm I would definitely recommend a large. We put a 170 fork on the front and it’s not too slack.

One thought on finish: rather than pay for paint and then wrap, we went for raw and put a matte wrap on it. Looks good and is holding up well.

The build was fun to do together and we got some killer deals on takeoff and discounted parts. Nothing else new comes close for $3k CAD.

zeecue

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2022, 12:19:09 PM »
Thanks all for the feedback.
Just mailed Carbonda and ordered a large, some spare parts and paint.
Should i get a set of LightCarbon carbon wheels for it, or some cheap Shimano/WTB wheels (https://www.bike24.com/p2415032.html front wheel).

What i might put on the frame:
Magura MT Trail Sport brakes F203/R180mm
RockShox Domain 2022 170mm fork
RockShow Deluxe Select+ 205x60 rear shock

Cant decide if i should go with Shimano or Sram groupset(nothing is in stock at a good price).
What tyre size are others running on theirs?

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2022, 04:31:10 PM »
2.6 all the way. Decent clearance is one of the main reasons I went with the 1002.

Draz

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2022, 06:15:08 PM »
I would get trp evo(best brakes i've ever experienced) but they are hard to find other than that shimano deore 4pots works flawlessly for me.
Domain requires 200mm minimum rotor so maybe look for 200mm rotor and dont fuss for 1.5mm spacers.
Also 12 speed group set, and if you are purchasing individually you can combine a value based one.
I recommend xt shifter, but every other deore parts are basically heavier XT parts with small nuances. Given that you can actually buy them  ::)
Maybe instead of carbon hoops consider dt swiss as they are very cheap right now https://www.bike-discount.de/en/dt-swiss-m-1900-spline-29-30mm-cl-boost-wheelset.
I'm not sure about 54T upgrade for new dt swiss, this wheel set have hub called "370 with Ratchet LN 18". *Group set decision needs to be made for freehub.
I was between Rs domain and lyrik select 170mm, but weight penalty was substantial, thats front end heavy ended up with lyrik and pretty happy with it.
Also have the deluxe ultimate very similar to select+, I noticed that i add too much psi in order to set the sag correctly but i have fs947 frame so take it with salt.
Lastly tires, I run 2.5, if you are riding on mostly mud get 2.4/2.5 as they carry less mud when clogged. I suffered this last winter learned my lesson.
Quick note some people were having quality issues with carbonda headset, I used my old but better headset cleaned then regreased the bearings almost 100%, they don't rotate much anyway.

zaphodbeeblebrox

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2022, 07:29:50 PM »
+1 for shimano brakes and groupset. I had sram sx + magura MT5s for my 911 and the shimano SLX stuff is miles better. MT5s were good once you got them set up, but the bleed process is messy and always took a few tries. Also harder to find magura pads in NA. 4 pot SLX brakes have been fantastic for me, easy to bleed and more than enough stopping power.

Remedy 7

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2022, 09:09:49 PM »
I see you already decided but here to say good choice. I love my 947 as a park bike but it wasn’t a GREAT trail bike.

alexartzwy

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2022, 09:35:38 AM »
Im in almost the exact same boat! 

I prefer the geometry and look of the 947, but there doesnt seem to be as many builds and experience out there with it.

Let me know what makes you decide!

Medico

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2022, 10:04:06 AM »
Im in almost the exact same boat! 

I prefer the geometry and look of the 947, but there doesnt seem to be as many builds and experience out there with it.

Let me know what makes you decide!

I choose the fm1002. I Like carbonda's service and couple of reviews here pushed me towards the 1002.
Have to wait a couple of weeks