Author Topic: Looking for advice on choosing a frame  (Read 1659 times)

BalticSea

Looking for advice on choosing a frame
« on: August 25, 2022, 11:50:23 PM »
Hello, first time poster here, so I hope I made the topic in the right place.

I want to build a bike from a scratch with intent to start racing on it eventually. It would be a do it all bike, used for commuting, training as well, because I really don't have the space to store multiple bikes. I'm 178 cm tall with approx. 81 cm inseam, I currently ride a decade old Diamant Pinnacle R3 in size 54. I'd like the frame to have both reasonable weight and some aero features, but I kinda hate how full on aero bikes look like, so if I had to choose strictly between lightweight and aero, I'd go with lightweight. Also, I'd like the tire clearance to be 28c at minimum (Trifox states 25c for X16, but I've seen people say that it has room for 28s).

The frames I've looked at so far are:
Velobuild 077, 168, 177.
Trifox X16, X18.

X16 is available in both disc and rim brake versions, 077 is rim only, X18, 168 and 177 are disc only.  I was comparing geometry on geometrygeeks, it seems like the 177 has longest reach at size, followed by SL7 replicas. Also, 168, 177 and X18 have fully integrated cabling, which means I'd have to spend extra money on something like FSA headset that makes the life easier.

Velobuild frames tend to have headset play issues on the top of random stuff you get from cheaper frames, as for X16 I've seen people say that fork is flexy, which is bit concerning, and I saw one poster saying that due to short seat tube and seatpost, you can't insert the seat post for the supposed minimal insertion distance.

Because I'm on a somewhat tight budget, I'd like to equip the build with Sensah Empire groupset, which limits me to either rim brakes or mechanical/hybrid disc brakes. I was wondering if any of those frames have smoother cable routing for less bending, resulting in a smoother shifting/braking?

svanimpe

Re: Looking for advice on choosing a frame
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2022, 02:43:58 AM »
Carbonda 1056. It has more of an "endurance" geometry, but for me endurance = race for normal people (i.e. not pro's).

You can order it for either fully internal cabling (FSA ACR headset), or "external" (internal, except for headset) cabling. And you don't have to worry about the quality :)

batwoman

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2022, 02:51:02 PM »
I had Sensah cable actuated Hydraulic discs, I do not recommend them. Go for Sensah groupset and add Juin Tech as brakes. Then use compressionless cables and you have excellent braking.

BalticSea

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2022, 02:58:23 PM »
I had Sensah cable actuated Hydraulic discs, I do not recommend them. Go for Sensah groupset and add Juin Tech as brakes. Then use compressionless cables and you have excellent braking.

Yeah, I've read that the hybrid brakes included with Sensah groupset aren't the best.

VanDungLe

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2022, 02:32:55 AM »
I thought Juin Tech brakes ARE cable actuated hydraulic brakes? Am i missing something?

BalticSea

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2022, 05:50:17 AM »
I thought Juin Tech brakes ARE cable actuated hydraulic brakes? Am i missing something?

Yes, both the brakes included with Sensah groupset ("hydraulic" version) and Juin Tech are cable actuated hydraulic brakes, some people call them hybrid brakes too. However, the thing is that the brakes included with Sensah groupset are not very good.

mesosbrodleto

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2022, 10:54:37 AM »
so far I've built bikes using frames from Ican (are them the same as trifox?), tantan/seraph, lightcarbon and velobuild. My personal ranking in terms of quality and customer support:

Lightcarbon
Ican
velobuild
tantan/seraph

If the budget is tight velobuild is the only option, but be aware that you will need plenty of creativity to avoid eventual issues.

VanDungLe

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2022, 12:04:28 AM »
so far I've built bikes using frames from Ican (are them the same as trifox?), tantan/seraph, lightcarbon and velobuild. My personal ranking in terms of quality and customer support:

Lightcarbon
Ican
velobuild
tantan/seraph

If the budget is tight velobuild is the only option, but be aware that you will need plenty of creativity to avoid eventual issues.
Oof. Is Tantan/Seraph really that bad? I was going to buy a set of frame and wheels from them. May i ask what was your experiences with them?

mesosbrodleto

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2022, 02:23:35 AM »
Oof. Is Tantan/Seraph really that bad? I was going to buy a set of frame and wheels from them. May i ask what was your experiences with them?

I am still riding on a  tantan frame, it has custom painting and in the end i like it. But it had some flaws that I needed to address by my self, they never answered. On the contrary, the blocked me from aliexpress, the refused to answer to emails and so on. The main flaw was on rear derailleur hanger cup, it was not properly aligned making it impossible to tight the tiny screw and keep the cup in place. They just said: "bring it to a bike shop". To my last email they replied: "you are on a black list".

Irideslowly

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2022, 06:44:04 AM »
Buy it from Longteng instead of velobuild.

BalticSea

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2022, 08:16:28 AM »
Buy it from Longteng instead of velobuild.

If they can't even build a functional website, how can they build a proper bike frame?  ;)
Jokes aside, I've tried to check their website, but there are basically no pictures showing up and their geometry charts suck, sometimes not even providing reach and/or stack. Not seeing the price is bit of a downside too.

Also, I had no luck when trying to find a frame with decent tire clearance and direct mount rim brakes (cheaper to build than with disc brakes, that's all)

BalticSea

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2022, 03:58:21 PM »
I don'tt want to make a new thread, so please don't kill me for a double post.

I was browsing Aliexpress as usual and found these wheels:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002368594848.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_groupList.8148356.2.749b2e5bBy7hZy&pdp_npi=2%40dis%21EUR%21€%20848%2C36%21€%20695%2C66%21%21%21%21%21%402100bb4c16617180101313465ecc09%2112000020357475494%21sh
Roughly 720€ (with VAT included, seller claims that you don't need to pay VAT upon checking out, so it works out to around 570€) for wheels with flat carbon spokes and DT350 hub, which is fair bit less than Elitewheels BWS. Does anyone have any experience with the Explorer brand? They offer few different weave patterns, including the same marble look as Elitewheel Drive, on top of that they have a wide range of hubs, which makes me think that they lace wheels in house rather than just rebrand them.

P.S. I am not affiliated with that company or anything like that.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 04:00:18 PM by BalticSea »

VanDungLe

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2022, 11:16:49 PM »
I don'tt want to make a new thread, so please don't kill me for a double post.

I was browsing Aliexpress as usual and found these wheels:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002368594848.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_groupList.8148356.2.749b2e5bBy7hZy&pdp_npi=2%40dis%21EUR%21€%20848%2C36%21€%20695%2C66%21%21%21%21%21%402100bb4c16617180101313465ecc09%2112000020357475494%21sh
Roughly 720€ (with VAT included, seller claims that you don't need to pay VAT upon checking out, so it works out to around 570€) for wheels with flat carbon spokes and DT350 hub, which is fair bit less than Elitewheels BWS. Does anyone have any experience with the Explorer brand? They offer few different weave patterns, including the same marble look as Elitewheel Drive, on top of that they have a wide range of hubs, which makes me think that they lace wheels in house rather than just rebrand them.

P.S. I am not affiliated with that company or anything like that.
I've never heard of them tbh. I'd rather bought from EliteWheels or SuperTeam. Tantan/Seraph even has a lot of different options (they have 12k weaves +240/350 just like those wheels too)

BalticSea

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2022, 05:37:02 PM »
Current build list looks like this

Living in Europe sure is expensive  :-\

Still missing some stuff like handlebars (will figure them out eventually after I get proper bike fit), cables, cable housing and pedals.

Roadie2mtb

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2022, 01:38:04 PM »
I would recommend a t800 carbon or better grade like a t1000, I was going to mention the new t1000 S5 look alike on AliExpress, but it's aero style and high in price