Author Topic: IP-256SL XC Racer Build 18.5lb  (Read 26539 times)

frankR

IP-256SL XC Racer Build 18.5lb
« on: November 19, 2014, 10:16:27 AM »
  • IPlay IP-256SL (17.5", BB30)
  • Rockshox SID Worldcup XX
  • Specialized Roval Control SL
  • SRAM XX1
  • Shimano XTR M9000 brakes
  • Ritchey WCS Carbon Components

Hope to be under 18.5lbs

Build Status: 90% complete. Need to shorten front brake line, run RD cable, install chain and saddle. Waiting on wheels ordered through Livermore Cyclery (2015 Roval Control SL).

Road racer for 5 years that got hooked on XC racing this past season in Norcal. Current MtB bike is a 2012 Specialized SJ Carbon Expert (~23lbs).

Time to upgrade! Took the plunge on a high-end build. This project is my first frame-up build (typically a Craigslist shopper), and by far the most money I have spent on any bicycle.

Original intention was to build a Niner Air 9 RDO. However, the new 2015 frame was announced but not yet available back in October. Had my eye on the 256SL for weeks so I pulled the trigger through Peter. Will continue to ride and race the 256SL as long as I am happy with it. Otherwise will move to the new Air 9 RDO and transfer components.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 10:01:39 AM by frankR »

Oolak

Re: IP-256SL XC Racer Build 18.5lb
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 01:35:50 PM »
Looks like you're pulling out all the stops - Looks great so far, man. Def be following along with this build thread.

Especially looking forward to hear your thoughts on how this compares to your SJ.

So, I don't know all too much about the Roval wheels, but was wondering if you considered going the Chinese carbon route for those as well? A quick Google search tells me they are pretty pricey, I assume you think these wheels will justify a higher price point?

« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 01:39:13 PM by Oolak »

Sjon7283

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 03:57:19 PM »
Have an almost identical build, except for the wheels. Looking forward to the next pics. What are your plans with the RD cable? Are you going to run the full outer cable through the frame?

brmeyer135

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 04:44:24 PM »
Not that you asked but couldn't cut much weight off that.  I see one big area.
Since you are going for light weight and you are an XC racer....you could save over a 80g dropping the shimano rotors and going windcutters or quaxar iris(138g for both)
Otherwise, you could save maybe 40g on your seat.
You could go for Extralite or ?escapes me to save nearly a 100g on your thru-axles.
30g? or so with a starnut
Others would be minute after that.
I guess the obvious would be the fork for biggest savings - you could get into the 17lbs.
Very cool build...you going to make it more personal with any design/coloring or such?

Andy

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 07:03:40 PM »
Brmeyer what fork would you recommend to shave more weight?
Thanks,
Andy. :)
IP 036
LTK 023

MTNRCKT

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 08:57:45 PM »
Brmeyer what fork would you recommend to shave more weight?

Lefty carbon or rigid carbon are your only options from the World Cup Reba I THINK

frankR

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 10:04:37 PM »
Re Sjon7283

I take it you have been pleased with your 256SL? I need to look for a thread on your bike (have you posted one), I would like to compare your build to mine.

I plan to run the cable internally bare (without housing) inside the frame. Not sure if this is what are asking? Is there another route?

Re Oolak,

I am very eager to see how the 256SL compares to the SJ. Will reply back with my impressions as soon as the bike is rideable and the trails dry out!

Yes, I have spent a lot of time looking at Chinese Carbon wheels. I emailed Light-Bicycle asking if they would build the 27mm hookless rim with DT 240S hubs. Unfortunately they could not. Their standard build with the HOPE Pro 2 EVO I am sure are sweet wheels, but they are a tad heavier then I was willing to accept. In hindsight I should have pulled the trigger on the Hope Pro built LB wheels...

Initially I considered the Enve M50, Stans Valor, LB wheels, and the Control SL. The Enve you can rule out immediately due to their outrageous price. I am also not excited about internal spoke nipples. From what I hear the Valors are flexy and the hubs aren't great. Reports are the Rovals are a solid wheelset. Pricey, but can be purchased on eBay/Craigslist for a reasonable price.

My plan as of Monday was to purchase a used set of Arch EX to hold me over until I could build-up LB wheels w/240 hubs or find (pay) someone to do it for me. Fortunately, Monday afternoon I received an offered to purchase the Roval wheels at a significant discount through Livermore Cyclery, a long time team sponsor.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 10:37:36 PM by frankR »

frankR

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 10:28:16 PM »
Re brmeyer135,

You are correct to point out my build could drop some weight. It is certainly not, strictly speaking, a "weight weenie" build. I appreciate your suggestions and any others you can think of.

I did discover the remarkably light weight Quaxar rotors. There are conflicting reports if they degrade braking performance. I would like to decide for myself by starting on the (heavy) Shimano rotors and then try lighter rotors later. Do you have an opinion?

In general for this build I am hesitant to accept significant compromise to performance (braking), durability, and comfort (saddle) if it means less confidence out on the trails, especially while racing.

There are certainly many races where I could run a rigid fork. It is relatively easy to change forks. Also nice to have a rigid to plug-in when it comes time to service the Sid so I can take my time and still have a rideable bike.

I did consider a Lefty. I like the design. It does seem to have advantages over a conventional fork: rigidity, as well as lighter weight. The requirement to run a special hub ultimately turned me away. The top-end Lefty is more expensive than the Sid. Plus, it would be weird looking! But I am sure I could get used to it.

I need to look into the lighter through axle you mention. What is a starnut?

Will likely keep it flat black. Paint adds weight! :)

JohnnyNT

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 06:37:27 AM »
First of all, a really nice bike frankR !!! Since you appreciate suggestions, here are some (in fact you should easily get sub-8kg):

Extralite axles mentioned already: http://www.extralite.com/Products/Black%20Lock.htm
Starnut is the expander in your steerer tube, guess this would help: http://www.extralite.com/Products/UltraStar%202.htm
Headset and bar could probably drop around 50g together, don't know your width though so cannot suggest anything in particular. And those anvil-grips :)
With the saddle, there are plenty of sub 100g models, here for example: http://r2-bike.com/Saddle
For the crank you could get Absolute Black Spiderless chainring, dropping some weight and improving stiffness (not to mention the looks): http://absoluteblack.cc/sram-spiderless.html , check out their rotors too.
Couldn't do much more about drivetrain, maybe switching chain to lighter KMC.
You have already ordered wheels, which is a pity since there are a lot of options for 29er, even sub 1100g, sub 1300g with comparable or lower budget.
Brakes are fine I guess, Formulas wouldn't get you MUCH lower and XTR are probably working a little better, so a fair tradeoff.
Seatpost/Seatclamp - 30-50g to drop depending on budget ;)

Hope this helps :)

brmeyer135

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 01:18:50 PM »
glad you didn't take me wrong...I didn't mean anything negative....it was that you were interested in being lite but could go lighter with some parts you may not of known of.
The quaxar:  been fine for general riding....no sustained downs...for most XC riding/racing they should be plenty paired with XTR
Otherwise, what kind of racing are you doing?
There was an excellent story of another race on the forum.
Your impressions of this bike in your races compared to the SJ would be interesting....foremost, the 5-6lb difference...what kind of difference did it make?

frankR

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2014, 10:22:17 AM »
brmeyer135 and JohnnyNT,

I compiled the light weight components you recommended into my build list below. An investment of $500 could drop ~500g. Weight "weening" is expensive!

When sorted by g/$, the upgrades listed at the top are the ones I could see possibly investing in.

The integrated spider/chainrings by absoluteBLACK look like an (obvious) innovation. I am concerned about the durability of the grips, but at only $25 there isn't much to risk. The lighter seat post clamp, expansion plug (UltraStar), top cap, and headset bolt are expensive but shouldn't affect performance. The rotors are worth trying, as I previously mentioned.

The ExtraLite axles are interesting... You must carry a heavy Allen key (mine weights 50g) if you want to remove the wheels on trail. Or be willing to hike out if you need to fix a puncture. Also expensive at 400mg per dollar.

The AX LEAF saddle caught my eye ($$$). Unsure I will like it from a comfort standpoint.

I have Formula R1 brakes on my SJ. They work well, when they work. Require constant maintenance. After a year of headache I was ready for Shimano brakes.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 10:24:02 AM by frankR »

frankR

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2014, 10:31:54 AM »
brmeyer135,

5-6lb is HUGE! It saves ~30s up a 25min climb. I would be pleased to see that much improvement after two seasons of training.

We have any type of terrain you can think of here in Northern California for XC racing. From a flat dirt track to the Downiville Classic, which is about as gnarly as you get in XC racing.

Coming from road racing, I perform the best on courses with big climbs.

JohnnyNT

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2014, 11:47:40 AM »
I suggest thorough study of R2Bike.com Webpage, not only do they have Extralite products cheaper than on Extralite Webpage, but also cheaper alternatives (like Syntace rear axle, 40g fo 28 Euro). Afaik they have Absolute Black products too.

And with seatclamp, for the same price Smud is lighter: http://smud-carbon.eu/clampCL.html , Smud also makes nice saddles, seatposts and bottle cages.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 11:52:55 AM by JohnnyNT »

brmeyer135

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 01:24:23 PM »
Some of those prices are crazy to me.
This is where it is time for give and take related value or for some durability(but this is WW talk for now)
For under 50 you could get a carbon seat weighing 90-100g. ex. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Full-carbon-saddle-bicycle-saddle-velo-sillin-bicicleta-specialized-mountain-bike-seat-saddle-carbon-saddle-front/32232911782.html
An alternative to extralite:
http://shop.shift-up.eu/fr/product/qr15-axle/?lang=en&lang-id=1     front
http://shop.shift-up.eu/product/x12-rear-axle/                                rear

Something not mentioned here for lighter weight...racing tires....like Stan's Crow or Raven? or the new Schwalbe Thunder Burt....this would put you in the 16lbs range.
Again, will be interesting to hear your thoughts on the lighter weight in your races...I say this because we probably carry more weight that could be shed.
Short race...an hr or less, one shouldn't need much liquid during the race...but we have giant water bottles(or 2) or a camel back.

frankR

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2014, 09:09:51 PM »
Finished!

Holy cow this bike is light! Feels like picking up my road bike.

After a week delay due to a mix-up with end caps, she is ready for her maiden (Thanksgiving day) voyage after a rear brake bleed. (My first attempt at a Shimano brake bleed was a greasy disaster!)

All I have done so far is roll it down the driveway in pitch darkness hopping the curbs a few times, but I can already tell how big of a difference weight makes. I can throw the bike around with ease. Much less weight to control.

Can't wait to ride it tomorrow!

« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 09:12:28 PM by frankR »