Author Topic: IP-256SL XC Racer Build 18.5lb  (Read 26551 times)

Vipassana

Re: IP-256SL XC Racer Build 18.5lb
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2014, 06:17:35 AM »
Only annoyance was brake hose slap in the frame.

Has anyone attempted to mitigate this? With foam pipe insulation of the appropriate diameter maybe?

I did the foam trick with the same stuff originally, months ago. It's been perfect for hundreds of miles. See this post I made for details:
http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,150.msg2326.html#msg2326

frankR

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2014, 10:18:34 AM »
Sussed. & Cnasta,

Thanks. Glad you like the build.

I noticed the front axle cam lock pointing forward after I took the photo and had to change it. ;)

Sjon7283,

Re: Rear cable drilling. I do not know what you mean by "cable drilling". No drilling was required to install the rear brake hose or RD cable.

I started the following thread looking for help on rear brake hose routing.

http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,375.0.html

« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 12:49:44 PM by frankR »

frankR

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2014, 10:27:33 AM »
MTB2223 & Vipassana,

Thanks. Will try "the foam trick".

Exactly what I had in mind. My concern was RD cable interference. I like what you did, tight fitting and strategically placed. Great hearing this has been solid for you.

I did the foam trick with the same stuff originally, months ago. It's been perfect for hundreds of miles. See this post I made for details:
http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,150.msg2326.html#msg2326

frankR

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2014, 10:37:49 AM »
Great build!

I didn't know Ritchey's pedals.
When my eggbeaters will fall appart(they probably will), I could switch to them.
They are light and come at a reasonable price.
I'm very interested in your feedback.

Thanks!

Very positive impression of the Ritchey pedals thus far. Exceptional build quality, which I find is true of all Ritchey components. Attractive finish on them as well.

I have no experience with Egg Beaters so can't offer a comparison. The only other MtB pedals I have tried are the Time ATAC, which I did not care for.

frankR

« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2014, 10:46:33 AM »
;DNice! please let us know how you are liking the m9000 brakes and if it would be worth going 180mm on the front?
love the wheels! :)

Thanks. Loving the brakes so far. Not sure they are working fully up to their capabilities yet (bedding and bleeding). Only other brakes I have used are Formula R1 that came on my SJ Carbon Expert.

Yesterday, my finger did slip off the lever going downhill. It seems slippery with a sweaty finger compared to the Formula levers. Will say more about this in my second ride report to follow.

I considered a 180mm rotor up front. If I were heavier I might have gone there. In "race trim" I weigh about 148lbs (67kg), and on an 18lb (8.2kg) bike with low mass (inertia) wheels, there is not a whole lot to stop. Not sure how much benefit a 180mm rotor will provide after considering the increased weight.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 10:51:47 AM by frankR »

final forum

« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2014, 11:29:45 AM »
Hey is that 18lbs with pedals. I have almost the same build but I'm 19 lbs with pedals and r1 brakes. Wondering where you weight savings are.

frankR

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2014, 11:52:25 AM »
Hey is that 18lbs with pedals. I have almost the same build but I'm 19 lbs with pedals and r1 brakes. Wondering where you weight savings are.

Just weighed it.... I am at 19.36lbs right now, with pedals, and two Specialized plastic bottle cages and Garmin computer mount but no computer.

I don't have all the spec'ed components on it right now. I have a base model Fizik Arione saddle mounted right now, which is about 100g heavier than the saddle that will end up on it (probably the Arione R1). That will drop ~0.22lbs, putting it at 19.14lbs.

Future upgrades:

• Ashima rotors, performance pending (purchased), -116g
  • ExtraLite Grips, durability pending (purchased), -101g
  • Chinese carbon bottle cages, functionality pending (purchased), -35g (?)
  • Fizik Arione / Chinese carbon saddle (comfort pending), -101g
  • Absolute Black Chainring, -150g
  • ExtraLite Axles, -90g
  • Headset parts, -25g (?)

Sum = -618g (1.36lbs) !!!

That should get me well below the target weight of <18.5lbs.

For now, I am enjoying riding this "heavy" 19.36lb build (fast)! :)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 12:51:59 PM by frankR »

frankR

« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2014, 12:36:24 PM »
Second Ride Report:

Pre-ride set-up notes.

• Rapid recovery (rebound) adjustment, increased rebound rate to about 7 of 10 clicks (was at 2 or 3 clicks of max)
  • Same fork pressure (100psi)
  • Same tire pressures, Front: 20psi; Rear: 22psi.
  • Rear caliper realigned, was rubbing
  • Increased brake lever reach, firmer feel, more leverage (and power?)

http://app.strava.com/activities/224177048

Different park today, Round Valley and Morgan Territory, foot hills of Mount Diablo. Main course is Miwok, a huge steep climb with rocky ramps maxing out at 35% grade.

Ride out to the big climb is single track carved into a hill side weaving between trees followed by flat fire road in Round Valley proper. Among the trees, rocks, roots, and ever present hillsides, the 256SL provides absolute confidence. Front-end pointy, rear-end light and responsive..

Climb was damp and therefore very grippy. Normally this climb requires nearly 100% effort just to complete. One of the most difficult climbs I know of in the Bay Area. Not possible to "take it easy". Despite a slight headwind and relentless head-cold, climb time was a PR! Again, I found myself climbing out of the saddle more. This helps because I can rest my quads while gaining some speed, even if it's just for a few seconds. Rocky ledges were easily negotiated, because I could easily hit them with momentum, nearly coating up and over them.

Decent is the same climb, but... Downhill... It loses 1400' in about 2mi. Much of that elevation is lost on the aforementioned steep (25+%) rocky slopes. It's an adrenaline rush lasting little more then 5min (depending on how brave you are). Speeds exceeding 40MPH are easily attained. Fork provides excellent traction braking on the down-sloping, off-chamber rock-laden bumps.

Towards the bottom the front lever went a little soft and the front rotor began audibly crying. This happens to my Formula R1 brakes on hot days (100degF). My usual remedy is to feed-in rear-brakes bias. I think I may have slightly glazed the front rotor because reduced stopping power persisted even after the rotor had cooled. The rotor also looked shinny. Pushed it too hard without a proper bed-in?

The descent was a PR, even while "holding back"! The fork probably deserves most of the credit for the increased traction and confidence. The fork dampener was probably set too aggressively because my arms and hands were dead at the bottom, over damped for the drops and bumps. This bike is fun to jump BTW! Cable slaps sounds like the bike is disintegrating though!

Final climb and descent is a gem! One mile long climb gaining about 800' followed by high-speed flowing single track among trees and rocks. Couldn't push it like I would have wanted because of groups of hikers and equestrians. In this terrain, "confidence" is the best single-word description.

Post-ride notes:

• Fix that brake hose slap!
  • Fork only reached 70% of travel, will drop pressure
  • Increase bar drop, move stem down one or two spacers
  • Increase saddle height 3mm, nose down saddle 2deg, tighten bolts
  • Increase RD cable tension, lost big cog up final climb (may not need it, up from 30t to 32t)
  • Back-off damper to about 4 clicks
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 12:46:04 PM by frankR »

frankR

« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2014, 05:11:23 PM »
Anti-cable slap mod implemented this morning. Inserted two ~3.5" long sections of foam pipe insulation into the top tube on the brake hose, stopping at the bottle cage screws.

Drop testing the bike from about 6" the slap is gone. Trails too soggy today for a test ride after a big storm system soaked the trails.

frankR

« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2014, 05:17:27 PM »
Headset bearings rusting already after two washes and a wet ride yesterday. Lower headset cartridge bearing came apart while removing it to install the foam pipe insulation. Ball bearings went flying...

Luckily I had an extra (compatible) Canecreek lower headset bearing from the Stumpjumper rebuild project completed a few months ago.

Coated the bearing cartridges in a good  cleaner / lubricant / protectant. Also coated the lower crown race and bearing seals in a silicone grease to ward off any further attack from water. Purchased this tube to coat and protect the battery terminals on my car. Never tried this before on bicycle bearings. Kind of a gamble.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 05:20:42 PM by frankR »

frankR

« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2014, 05:23:56 PM »
Also plugged the FD mount and cable holes with black silicone caulk. Idea stolen from another forum member. *** Full credit given ***

Didn't plug the FD cable hole on the bottom bracket.

Caulk should come out of there easily if anyone (else, probably not me) wants to install a FD.

Want to keep it dry inside the frame to protect the bottom bracket bearings!

« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 05:25:48 PM by frankR »

frankR

« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2014, 05:32:16 PM »
Frustrating third ride yesterday in misty rain...
  • Shifting all over the place. Unable to trim using shifter barrel adjuster. Ultimately gave up on the 42t.
  • Auto-shifting climbing out of the saddle.
  • Rear brake rubbing, espeacially climbing out of the saddle.

Lost confidence because of said issues. Let to a minor crash, front washed on off-chamber wet and sandy hard-pack.

This morning I noticed the rear through axle was lose, almost completely unthreaded out of the nut. My guess is it came out on my ride yesterday (oops!)

Explains all the issues and why I crashed. Loose rear unsettled the front end.

Need that through axle tighter!  Lucky I did not damage anything.

P.S. Also ordered the SwissStop Disc E 28 pads. Will try with the Ashima rotors. Not overly impressed by the XTR brakes so far. I had high expectations. I think my disappointment could be in part due the pads...
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 05:58:00 PM by frankR »

Vipassana

« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2014, 09:31:52 PM »
There's something about this frame and rear axle.  I've read more than a few takes if the reader axle coming lose. Mine did the exact same on my second ride. Lost the nut, rear wheel was all over the place.

carbonazza

« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2014, 12:28:28 AM »
I don't think it is a frame issue.
The 142x12 DT Swiss axle works fine on my frame.
But the nut can't move, as I did put a headless screw in the small threaded hole on the back of the drop out.

MTB2223

« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2014, 08:47:49 AM »
Rotor wear question:

Does this look right?

Wear on front pads looks even.
I've got exactly the same on my rear pads.
Could it be a small issue with the tolerances on the caliper post-mount on the IP-256SL frames ?
Maybe we have to make a new topic about this ?