Author Topic: I need new wheelset/gearset for my hand me down schwinn bike shaped object  (Read 535 times)

Queen of Skulls

So I have a bike shaped schwinn empire xl that was given to me. And I would like to upgrade to 11 speed with some cheap chinese wheelset and gear set. I am trying to make it ride-able and safer. So I can grow as a rider into a sick china carbon aero road bike. AKA I have  cheap ass bike, I need to fix it up until I can justify putting together a great bike. I already swapped the brakes. Its 130mm dropset and 100mm fork as far as I can tell. I am waiting for schwinn to get back to me on bb size.  and any other specs for the frame.

Thanks

Queen of  Skulls

Off with your Head tubes...

If the girls dont find you pretty they should at least find you handy...

[color #FE0000]P[/color][color #FDA601]R[/color][color #FFFF01]I[/color][color #008000]D[/color][color #1614E4]E[/color][color #80007E]!!!![/color]

1Sigma

Safe to assume that you’ll be taking the new wheels to your upgrade, when that time comes?
Also question on “gearset”. I you looking to replace the groupset as well?

Finally, I also have a bike-shaped object from Schwinn.
I find that if I try to ride it like an actual bike it works! It comes with the added bonus of deterring thieves.
Better than average - Extra Average

kbike

I bet it will take a bsa bottom bracket. It probably has a square taper bottom bracket right now.  Can you even fit 28mm tires on that frame? You will have to buy a new rear wheel to use 11 speed.   

I'd personally would suggest just ride it as is unless there are worn out parts.  Save til you can do a new full build. I'm just assuming you haven't got tons of miles in yet. There is a ton of experience you'll aquire even on the bike as it is.

I've built up a low end bike and it still felt like a low end bike even with the better parts.

Queen of Skulls

I want to replace the whole drive train. Its a  14 speed and I want to bump it to 22 speed. aka 2 in the front and 11 in the back.  Half for ride ability and half for safety.

Also the front sprockets look a bit worn. not new but not quite  NEEDing to be replaced. It probably NEEDS a chain. I just ordered a chain measuring tool.   I just found some wheels.

I can buy and build a superbike right now. I just cant justify the purchase until I improve as a rider.

Newer wheels because the wheels is the bearings the bike rides on.  also most of the reputable chinese gearsets are in 11speed. So I kinda have to upgrade a bit if I want something worthwhile.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 12:46:41 PM by Queen of Skulls »

[color #FE0000]P[/color][color #FDA601]R[/color][color #FFFF01]I[/color][color #008000]D[/color][color #1614E4]E[/color][color #80007E]!!!![/color]

StiffWeenies

How does the frame fit you? make sure it actually fits you first before putting money into it
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 11:32:10 AM by StiffWeenies »

Queen of Skulls

It fits fine. I need a longer stem for more reach. I am all torso. But I am also a giant gay lady at 6ft. I have a butterfly handle bars for better posture and more versatility  til I get more comfy  with bikes.  Long story short, I have permanent vertigo. So exercise was out for the longest time. The vertigo improved or to say Its still there but my brain stopped using my ears for balance.  Anyways Bike currently fits. But I when I switch back to rams. I will need a longer stem.