Author Topic: Tsunami Seaboard GR02 Budget Gravel Build  (Read 5579 times)

bamboo_mountain

Tsunami Seaboard GR02 Budget Gravel Build
« on: September 02, 2022, 04:51:53 PM »
I haven't seen much discussion about this affordable aluminum gravel frameset, so I decided to buy one and assemble a really budget focused build (ignoring the wheels which I already had on hand). I bought nearly everything on Aliexpress and the total build cost (ignoring wheels) came to just a bit over 1000 CAD including shipping.

Everything eventually arrived in good shape, and the frame itself was very well packed. The frame is really decent quality and definitely exceeded my expectations, the fork is also reasonably nice, with no obvious defects. It is a bit strange that the fork required the disc adapter set to 140 mm even though I am using 160 mm rotors, perhaps you could use 180 mm rotors if you wanted?

It was a bit confusing to figure out how to route the shift cables and ultimately decided that crossing them inside the downtube performed the best. It was also necessary to use anti vibration foam on the rear brake cable housing to keep it from rattling.

I used Kalloy UNO stem and handlebars, which are unbeatable price/performance, and used the L-TWOO RX 12 speed groupset, which also exceeded my expectations. The shifting is nice and crisp with the front shifting being a bit worse than my other bike equipped with Shimano 105 R7020, but overall very comparable. I did have to swap out both cable pinch bolts on the front and rear deraillieurs but other than that no major problems so far.

The brakes are Zrace BR-005 and Zrace 160mm rotors and they perform very well, comparable to my R7020 hydraulic brakes using 140 mm rotors on my road bike. I am using Jagwire compressionless housing front and rear.

The wheels (which I already owned) are Light Bicycle AR46 laced to DT350 hubs, and are wearing Continental Terra Speed 700x40 tires.

Total weight without pedals is a very respectable 8.8 kg.

For reference the frame is size 53 (L) and I am 179 cm tall, it fits perfectly.

After 100km so far my experience has been overwhelmingly positive! I had to tighten the headset after the first ride, I'm sure that was just the crown race settling a bit and since then it has remained tight with no play.

carbonazza

Re: Tsunami Seaboard GR02 Budget Gravel Build
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2022, 05:00:33 PM »
... It is a bit strange that the fork required the disc adapter set to 140 mm even though I am using 160 mm rotors, perhaps you could use 180 mm rotors if you wanted? ...

The Carbonda gravel 707 frame is the same.
I'm finishing a build with 180 front/160 rear

svanimpe

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2022, 09:57:08 AM »
Thanks for trying out this frame! I had my eye on it as well, but I didn't want to risk a big EU import tax :(

tripleDot

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2022, 09:24:10 PM »
I've seen a number of Tsunami Seaboard builds locally. Like almost dozen had cropped up on the local FB bike groups during the COVID Lockdown alone. Most were built as gravel bikes. And almost always, they went with the chrome finish. They look really good to be honest. Yours is the first black built I've seen... very sexy built. As far as durability is concerned, I haven't heard/read of anyone reporting and any failures yet... and that's at least a couple of years already.
July 2020 - Custom Waltly Ti 29er
Nov 2018 - Custom Waltly Ti Gravel
Apr 2018 - CS-496 29x3.0 - stripped
Feb 2018 - CS-RB01 (SS Road)
Sep 2016 - CS-RB01 (road sold)
Jun 2016 - Chinese CF XC - stripped
Mar 2016 - Haro Projekt (sold)
Feb 2008 - Jamis Durango 29 (sold)
Mar 2001 - Scott Scale (sold)

00Garza

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2022, 08:08:38 AM »
Nice build! Whats the clearance like with those 40's mounted?

bamboo_mountain

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2022, 08:12:22 AM »
Nice build! Whats the clearance like with those 40's mounted?

Thanks! Tire clearance is generous, should fit 45 mm no problem.

Brady

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2022, 06:36:09 PM »
hey thanks for the post in the seaboard, and nice looking bike!

I currently have one on order with a Sensah SRX pro 1X groupset package with the nutt brakes, and I'm looking fwd to building it up.

I'm curious about the brake adapter that that you needed for the fork, was that something that came with the brakes you bought or that needed to be purchased separately?

Thanks.

bamboo_mountain

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2022, 08:43:03 AM »
I'm curious about the brake adapter that that you needed for the fork, was that something that came with the brakes you bought or that needed to be purchased separately?

It is just the standard 140/160 mm adapter that came with the brakes, but it is set to the 140 mm position even though I am using 160 mm rotors. The fork is only compatible with 160 mm or 180 mm rotors. I hope that makes sense!

hsaus

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2022, 07:13:15 PM »
Thanks for sharing! I'm planning a build using the same frame. It'll be my first bike build, and reading about your experience helps.

Did the frame come with an expander plug and top cap?

bamboo_mountain

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2022, 09:06:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing! I'm planning a build using the same frame. It'll be my first bike build, and reading about your experience helps.

Did the frame come with an expander plug and top cap?

Yes, it did but I substituted my own because I prefer using an extra long expander.

jonathanf2

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2022, 10:58:23 AM »
Nice Seaboard build! Prior to my carbon road bike build, I also built an alloy gravel frame. I opted for a Poseidon X frameset which is US based and with free shipping, came in cheaper shipping domestic than buying from AliExpress. I opted for alloy because it's cheaper, I'm more likely to crash with gravel (which I have several times), I'm not so concerned with weight and the frames tend to get more abuse.

I'm curious how that L-Twoo groupset is working out? I saw Trace Velo use it on his latest carbon build and looks to be quite solid.

Crash217

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2022, 02:10:05 PM »
Thanks! Tire clearance is generous, should fit 45 mm no problem.

What Fork did you go with? have a link?  I have been hunting forks lately.

hsaus

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2022, 05:40:27 AM »

bamboo_mountain

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2022, 07:24:02 AM »
I'm curious how that L-Twoo groupset is working out? I saw Trace Velo use it on his latest carbon build and looks to be quite solid.

It's pretty decent so far! Both cable pinch bolts needed to be replaced and the Zrace chainrings seem to be wearing a bit quickly. One chainring tooth got a chip in it when I accidentally downshifted under high power and the chain got stuck between the FD cage and big ring. Just like Trace Velo pointed out there are quite noticeable metal flakes from the SUMC chain, I might try a YBN chain next.

jonathanf2

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2022, 09:44:36 AM »
It's pretty decent so far! Both cable pinch bolts needed to be replaced and the Zrace chainrings seem to be wearing a bit quickly. One chainring tooth got a chip in it when I accidentally downshifted under high power and the chain got stuck between the FD cage and big ring. Just like Trace Velo pointed out there are quite noticeable metal flakes from the SUMC chain, I might try a YBN chain next.

I've been using PYC chains from Taiwan lately with good results. They cost more than Chinese chains, but cost less than KMC. Though I've been happy using the ultra lightweight cassettes from AliExpress. The one cool thing about the Chinese components is just how fast they're improving.