Author Topic: Trying to find a frame for this tall, long torso, short legged lady  (Read 623 times)

Queen of Skulls

So I am 182ish tall woman aka 6ft tall shehulk, But I am all torso with the short legs of a 5'4" gal. Think, when I am at a restaurant but I sit taller than everyone else.  ;D ;D ;D

I been trying to figure out a bike frame, but I feel lost. Like I see all the numbers and the geometry but cant really put them in context of what I need as a rider. I would like to build a through axel disc brake aero frame for 2x11 speed, I would like the option of at least 30s tires just incase. but I am not married to it. Its a want. I want a sexy fast looking bike that would be fast.  I think I will need a frame that I add handlebars and a stem as I might need a longer stem. If anyone can give me some suggestions especially my fellow tall riders, that would be awesome. Just to try to fit some context of what I need.

I am also 220lb I am a big person. but I am working on it. My goal is 85kgs. So I need a bike that can handle that.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 03:37:12 AM by Queen of Skulls »

Off with your Head tubes...

If the girls dont find you pretty they should at least find you handy...

[color #FE0000]P[/color][color #FDA601]R[/color][color #FFFF01]I[/color][color #008000]D[/color][color #1614E4]E[/color][color #80007E]!!!![/color]

RDY

Re: Trying to find a frame for this tall, long torso, short legged lady
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2022, 04:04:51 AM »
Would be helpful if you listed your inside leg and reach (wingpspan) measurements.

svanimpe

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2022, 06:06:59 AM »
I have the exact opposite problem (long legs, short torso), so I feel your pain...

My advice would be to invest in a bike fit using an adjustable fit machine (i.e. not a real bike). Most likely, you'll have to go for a frame with "aggressive" geometry (lower stack, higher reach). Just collect some frames you're interested in, and show the geometry charts to the bike fitter. A good bike fitter should be able to plug them in a spreadsheet, to find out which frame will work best for you, what stem length you need, and how many spacers to put underneath the stem, etc.

In your case, also pay attention to the seat tube length of the grame. If this is too high, and your saddle height is quite low, you'll have very little exposed seat tube, which will make the bike less comfortable (a carbon seat tube flexes a lot to absorb bumps).

Velovelo

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2022, 07:59:09 PM »
So I am 182ish tall woman aka 6ft tall shehulk, But I am all torso with the short legs of a 5'4" gal. Think, when I am at a restaurant but I sit taller than everyone else.  ;D ;D ;D

I been trying to figure out a bike frame, but I feel lost. Like I see all the numbers and the geometry but cant really put them in context of what I need as a rider. I would like to build a through axel disc brake aero frame for 2x11 speed, I would like the option of at least 30s tires just incase. but I am not married to it. Its a want. I want a sexy fast looking bike that would be fast.  I think I will need a frame that I add handlebars and a stem as I might need a longer stem. If anyone can give me some suggestions especially my fellow tall riders, that would be awesome. Just to try to fit some context of what I need.

I am also 220lb I am a big person. but I am working on it. My goal is 85kgs. So I need a bike that can handle that.

Thanks in advance.

You can start with the size 54 vb-r-099 frame from velobuild(available via emailing VB I think) or any of the vendors that sell that frame. (Note that these frames may come with few extra cosmetic work to do on buyer side).
Then with a separate stem and handlebar setup you can try different stem length/angle.

Normally a size 56 vb-r-099 with a zero setback seatpost will be typical for your height but I think one size down to 54  and a variable stem length option will be best for your case.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 08:00:42 PM by Velovelo »

Queen of Skulls

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2022, 10:53:55 PM »
You can start with the size 54 vb-r-099 frame from velobuild(available via emailing VB I think) or any of the vendors that sell that frame. (Note that these frames may come with few extra cosmetic work to do on buyer side).
Then with a separate stem and handlebar setup you can try different stem length/angle.

Normally a size 56 vb-r-099 with a zero setback seatpost will be typical for your height but I think one size down to 54  and a variable stem length option will be best for your case.

So why the 99 over the 168? They have very similar geometry and the 168 seems to be more popular. I am very open to suggestions. Just curious why you picked it over a more popular frame. And I would like a 20mm set back maybe to put me in a more relaxed position to put me a touch more back. If you have a good reason why not to please do tell me. I am still learning all of these things.
Off with your Head tubes...

If the girls dont find you pretty they should at least find you handy...

[color #FE0000]P[/color][color #FDA601]R[/color][color #FFFF01]I[/color][color #008000]D[/color][color #1614E4]E[/color][color #80007E]!!!![/color]

Velovelo

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2022, 11:17:52 PM »
So why the 99 over the 168? They have very similar geometry and the 168 seems to be more popular. I am very open to suggestions. Just curious why you picked it over a more popular frame. And I would like a 20mm set back maybe to put me in a more relaxed position to put me a touch more back. If you have a good reason why not to please do tell me. I am still learning all of these things.

I ride a 099 and it has been great. So I'm just recommending to you based on personal experience.
Other people who ride the 168 may also recommend the 168 too.

Hope you get your dream bike soon.

Vb-r-099 is a similar frame to the Dolan Ares (with different fork and seatpost):
https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/5bc34a24c46f6d18c3b8d462/1648738697720-N7ORSDUWQYVTL9MFN1FA/DSC04404.jpg?format=750w

https://dolan-images.s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/block/g_840/ares-disc-main-fset-uci.png

Or the Lokka Ranger (same frame, similar fork and seatpost as the 099):

« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 02:46:47 AM by Velovelo »