Author Topic: Epic Evo Clone  (Read 40402 times)

Technic

Re: Epic Evo Clone
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2023, 01:31:52 AM »

Haha i'm completely with you on that. I also had some hardware for a 130 front and 120 rear :(
I'm actually in contact with the supplier, im trying to wrestle with him, telling him that the link is not the evo link and the rear triangle is a bit longer. But hes convinced that the rear is the same haha.
I wish I could get the true dimensions of the epic evo rear triangle so I could send the supplier the evo rear link, and the factory could revise the design.

Its still and insanely goodlooking frame with the short comings of being marketed as the evo.

Its interesting that you tested and got less travel than the normal epic, which is 100mm.
Could you share how you got that measurement? I have the non brain rear triangle so I can see if mine is any different.

Do you have the frame with new desing?

wwwru

« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2023, 04:31:07 AM »
Could you share how you got that measurement? I have the non brain rear triangle so I can see if mine is any different.

I had the bike in the stand at approximate correct riding/static position. This can be verified by checking the head tube angle.  Then you can measure from the floor to the center of the rear axle, record the measurement. Compress the suspension and measure again. The difference between the two measurements is your approximate travel. I got exactly 3.5 inches with  45mm stroke.

I also took some measurements without the shock and determined that there is clearance for close to or maybe a little more than 100mm of travel. I also measured the eye-to-eye shock length at each of the suspension extremes (comp vs fully extended) and determined that a 52.5 stroke should theoretically fit. There is some interference between the yoke and the link at full extension, so the actual shock would be needed to verify that it will fit.

wwwru

« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2023, 04:37:31 AM »

I'm actually in contact with the supplier, im trying to wrestle with him, telling him that the link is not the evo link and the rear triangle is a bit longer. But hes convinced that the rear is the same haha.

Evo rear triangle is longer by 5mm (chainstay length or rear center per geometry charts) It is tough to measure the length since it's dependent on the rotation of the rear triangle and the measurement is supposed to be from the center of the BB.

I asked on the Epic EVO Facebook page to take some linkage measurements (not the triangle) and got enough info to determine that a simple linkage swap is impossible.

Technic

« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2023, 04:51:41 AM »
Evo rear triangle is longer by 5mm (chainstay length or rear center per geometry charts) It is tough to measure the length since it's dependent on the rotation of the rear triangle and the measurement is supposed to be from the center of the BB.

I asked on the Epic EVO Facebook page to take some linkage measurements (not the triangle) and got enough info to determine that a simple linkage swap is impossible.

Do you mean that with the change of link it is not valid to give the measure that they say it gives? Even if it's the normal epic?

wwwru

« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2023, 07:38:39 AM »
Do you mean that with the change of link it is not valid to give the measure that they say it gives? Even if it's the normal epic?

It will be close.  Since the Evo chainstay is slightly longer, technically it will have more travel with the same linkage, but we are talking 5mm difference, doubt it will be noticeable. 

Linkage is the biggest issue for sure.

plloppii

« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2023, 07:43:45 AM »

Yeah i saw the same geo charts.
I really want to give some accurate measurements to the supplier, I was even thinking of buying a baseline epic evo to reference and get measurements.
If someone with an epic evo wants to contribute, that would be ideal. I afraid that going off pictures will be "in the ball park" but I dont know if thats good enough.

Although thinking it through, if i get him the new linkage, he should be able to create a new design with the chainstay length and the seat stay length + new pivot linkage. Is that right?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 07:48:16 AM by plloppii »

wwwru

« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2023, 08:07:17 AM »
Although thinking it through, if i get him the new linkage, he should be able to create a new design with the chainstay length and the seat stay length + new pivot linkage. Is that right?

I am not following your question, but if the supplier can come up with an EVO like linkage (3:1 leverage), I think the frame will work fine with the regular epic rear triangle.

plloppii

« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2023, 08:24:44 AM »
I am not following your question, but if the supplier can come up with an EVO like linkage (3:1 leverage), I think the frame will work fine with the regular epic rear triangle.

Oh I was under the impression that even if we get the new linkage, we would need a revised rear triangle.
What makes me think that is
1. On the official specialized replacement part site, the Evo and regular epic have two different rear triangle part numbers. https://support.specialized.com/epic/en/service-maintenance/replacement-parts
2. Logically, the Evo linkage moves the rear triangle back a bit, increasing the leverage ratio. I would think that the angle between the seat stay and chainstay is a bit different to maintain the bike geometry.

I’m only theorizing here.

If it’s only the Evo linkage that’s different. I see it being sold here: https://www.francesconibike.com/en-us/products/ricambio-specialized-shl-my21-epic-evo-shock-link

wwwru

« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2023, 08:27:06 AM »
Oh I was under the impression that even if we get the new linkage, we would need a revised rear triangle.
What makes me think that is
1. On the official specialized replacement part site, the Evo and regular epic have two different rear triangle part numbers. https://support.specialized.com/epic/en/service-maintenance/replacement-parts
2. Logically, the Evo linkage moves the rear triangle back a bit, increasing the leverage ratio. I would think that the angle between the seat stay and chainstay is a bit different to maintain the bike geometry.

I’m only theorizing here.

If it’s only the Evo linkage that’s different. I see it being sold here: https://www.francesconibike.com/en-us/products/ricambio-specialized-shl-my21-epic-evo-shock-link

No, you are correct, the rear triangles are different between the Evo and regular epic. What I am saying is that if they can make an Evo style linkage to work with this rear triangle it would good enough.

plloppii

« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2023, 08:53:48 AM »
No, you are correct, the rear triangles are different between the Evo and regular epic. What I am saying is that if they can make an Evo style linkage to work with this rear triangle it would good enough.

Oh interesting okay.
I was trying to get the supplier as close as the original Evo geometry + dimensions as possible, but I see what you are saying.
If a new linkage was created for the current rear and front triangle, I wonder how much further you can push the rear triangle out. The Evo seems to push it out 10, 20mm?
How would the geo be effected? I think the seat tube angle and head tube angle would steepen. The bottom bracket height would increase as well.

I have a 3-D printer with poly carbonate material and pretty good cad skills so I might mock something up.

wwwru

« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2023, 08:57:03 AM »
If a new linkage was created for the current rear and front triangle, I wonder how much further you can push the rear triangle out. The Evo seems to push it out 10, 20mm?

From what I remember, I think it's only 5mm.

plloppii

« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2023, 09:34:42 AM »
I also measured the chainstay length on mine and I’m seeing about 443mm, which is a 5mm longer than the epic Evo…

How much are you getting?

wwwru

« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2023, 09:40:09 AM »
How much are you getting?

I was getting 435mm, but again, chainstay is hard to measure because it depends on where in the travel you are.

plloppii

« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2023, 10:41:37 AM »

Looks like it might be possible.

One concern that I have is that with the adjusted leverage, it might introduce larger strain on the rear triangle.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 10:43:48 AM by plloppii »

plloppii

« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2023, 09:16:04 PM »
What I've been totally wasting my time on.

Do I know what I'm doing? Absolutely not
Am I having fun? Hell yeah

Interestingly, the chainstay length is about 438ish like this.
@wwwru, how are you measuring the chainstay length? I'm doing it with the shock totally uncompressed (Which is how I though the chainstay was suppose to be measured from manufacturers)