Author Topic: Epic Evo Clone  (Read 65763 times)

uberamd

Re: Epic Evo Clone
« Reply #330 on: June 11, 2024, 08:26:55 PM »
I purchased this frame from all star bicycle in November of 2022 (with the BRAIN rear triangle) and rode it for a bit in 2022, all 2023 season, and now again in 2024. The bike has been issue free from a ride quality perspective. The BB has remained sound and I've removed and reinstalled BB cups a LOT of times as I've waffled between SRAM DUB and Shimano a few times.

Much like everyone else, I needed a spacer for the top dust cover when preloading the headset to prevent drag, easy fix. I also removed all of the pivot bolts and greased and applied loctite before torquing them exactly as the real Epic Evo manual calls for. I replaced the UDH hanger.

My biggest issue with this frame comes from how the rear triangle interfaces with the front triangle. The rear triangle holes that the brake hose and rear derailleur housing pass through -- the holes that are near the bb -- don't line up with the holes near the bb in the front triangle. They aren't even close. Attempting to assemble the bike in this state required me to remove the lower pivot bolt, swing the rear triangle away, run the hose/housing through the front triangle, and squeeze the two triangles together as hard as i can to even get the rear pivot bolt back in, which completely pinches the brake hose.

Its so bad that I had to take a dremel and sand away carbon to form a channel on the outer edge of the front triangle cable/hose openings near the BB, basically just making the openings wider so they'd align with the holes in the rear triangle. A bit sketchy. But it solved the problem.

Hundreds and hundreds of miles of sketchy singletrack, drops. jumps, and the frame hasn't made any scary noises. There were a few situations where I thought the frame was getting crunchy on me but every time it was just mud getting stuck between the two triangles and grinding on the hoses.

One more thing to mention: the official Epic Evo frame has two small washers that sit between the frame and the bolt heads that keep the top of the shock in place. This frame didn't include them. The washers are obviously useful for getting proper torque applied to those bolts. I was able to source some, but keep that in mind, those bolts aren't supposed to just screw snug directly against the frame.

My build is as follows:
  • Rockshox SID Select+ 120mm fork
  • Rockshox SIDLuxe rear shock
  • Shimano XT Cassette, Cranks, Derailleur, Shifter
  • Shimano XT 4 piston brakes
  • Hunt XC Wide wheelset
  • SRAM AXS 170mm wireless dropper post
  • Specialized Zee cages with SWAT XC storage container
  • Specialized Fast Trak 2.3" tires
« Last Edit: June 11, 2024, 08:29:13 PM by uberamd »

this is dog

« Reply #331 on: July 24, 2024, 03:39:19 PM »
Is anyone aware if there's an Epic 8 clone in the making? I'm very interested in a similar frame with a downtube compartment.

ftajiri

« Reply #332 on: July 25, 2024, 07:58:12 AM »
Is anyone aware if there's an Epic 8 clone in the making? I'm very interested in a similar frame with a downtube compartment.

i think this is almost impossible because the complexity of manufacturing to made a compartment in downtube. it's to make, a gain weight to reinforcement is complicated.

this is dog

« Reply #333 on: July 26, 2024, 05:19:37 PM »
i think this is almost impossible because the complexity of manufacturing to made a compartment in downtube. it's to make, a gain weight to reinforcement is complicated.

Not sure how this can be impossible, it's becoming an industry standard. Many A-brands like Trek, Cannondale, Canyon, Orbea already have it. Yes, mostly for gravel bikes, but not all of them.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2024, 05:22:38 PM by this is dog »

jsiegrist

« Reply #334 on: August 01, 2024, 09:55:35 AM »
Has anyone built one of these up recently? I’m curious about your experience and where you ordered from.

Also, I’m 178cm tall with an 82.5cm inseam. Is large or medium the way to go?

Thanks!

jsiegrist

« Reply #335 on: August 01, 2024, 08:22:33 PM »
Curious where you got all the decals? Were those purchased from awst or from elsewhere?

A visit to a local bike shop and a buck later, I got exact what I needed, thanks! I was worried I need a more proprietary headset.

The build is finally complete :D  ::) This was my worst performance when it came to barb and olive installation, I screwed up 2 times, equaling about 15mm of lost hose length on an already short hose. but the ICR plastic insert puts enough pressure to allow me to cinch some shift cable into the frame for an equal length to the hose… this is the crap I obsess over.

The final ride fits me great. Size L for a 183cm, 170 lbs man. 50mm oneup stem.

I used a 150mm OneUp dropper with an OG Wolftooth lever.
SLX 7100 brakes modded for bite point adjust
XX1 shift set
SROAD rainbow 10-50 cassette
YBN waxed 12spd chain
Generic Eagle crankset
XT 8100 pedals
780 OneUp bars with Ergon GA3 grips
Fox float DPS 45mm rear shock
SID Select+ 120 fork
Fake Roval Traverse SL wheelset (LB rims on the new 350s)
Aliexpress rainbow centerline rotors
SRAM housing for the dropper and shifter.

I think that’s it… for any future builders of this frame, feel free to hit me up with any questions, I can answer pretty much anything about this AWST frame.

jsiegrist

« Reply #336 on: August 01, 2024, 09:25:24 PM »
I'm curious about the decals (specifically the fact carbon sticker) Did you specify that you wanted that or did they default to it?

Frame finally showed up. Looks good to me!

darkening

« Reply #337 on: August 05, 2024, 01:39:03 AM »
Today I received the warranty frame from Airwolf. I only paid for the shipping through AliExpress. Looking inside the frame, you can see that they have improved the overall quality of production. The surface inside is smoother and there is less debris.

Kactusdog

« Reply #338 on: August 05, 2024, 01:55:35 AM »
Today I received the warranty frame from Airwolf. I only paid for the shipping through AliExpress. Looking inside the frame, you can see that they have improved the overall quality of production. The surface inside is smoother and there is less debris.

Do the shades of paint match?

darkening

« Reply #339 on: August 05, 2024, 02:07:28 AM »
Do the shades of paint match?
Very close. Old frame is dirty and 've seen a lot of UV.

Kactusdog

« Reply #340 on: August 05, 2024, 02:25:09 PM »
Curious where you got all the decals? Were those purchased from awst or from elsewhere?

AWST does the OEM sticker stuff, I added the red decals at the headtube

akuutti247

« Reply #341 on: August 20, 2024, 09:29:29 AM »
Hi!

How are your Evos holding up?

I got mine last September and I have liked it a lot. It is near perfect for long marathons. The bottom bracket area started to creak this summer so I took the cranks and bottom bracket apart. Then I noticed that the BSA bottom bracket insert on the drive side is loose. The metal shakes inside the carbon.  :'(

After that I contacted the seller: Airwolf. It can be done using the chat function on their site. I have tried to send e-mails too, but haven´t got any e-mails back.

Using the chat, I sent two videos and pictures of the frame to the customer service and got an answer that the frame gets warranty. They would contact me after contacting a technician.

I have now waited for further information over a month, which brings some questions to my mind: (and this is why I write about it here)

1. What kind of warranty process did you have with Airwolf?

2. Which Evo seller has the best customer service and warranty process? (the frame can be purchased in many places, so it is good to know who we should trust)

Kactusdog

« Reply #342 on: August 20, 2024, 01:33:57 PM »
Hi!

How are your Evos holding up?

I got mine last September and I have liked it a lot. It is near perfect for long marathons. The bottom bracket area started to creak this summer so I took the cranks and bottom bracket apart. Then I noticed that the BSA bottom bracket insert on the drive side is loose. The metal shakes inside the carbon.  :'(

After that I contacted the seller: Airwolf. It can be done using the chat function on their site. I have tried to send e-mails too, but haven´t got any e-mails back.

Using the chat, I sent two videos and pictures of the frame to the customer service and got an answer that the frame gets warranty. They would contact me after contacting a technician.

I have now waited for further information over a month, which brings some questions to my mind: (and this is why I write about it here)

2. Which Evo seller has the best customer service and warranty process? (the frame can be purchased in many places, so it is good to know who we should trust)

I’ve bought another frame from airwolf, it was ok with no serious issues. but I saw lack of attention to detail.

I would say buy from AWST Cycling tactics. They recently went EPS mold on this frame, it’s now like 200g lighter. Mine’s been perfect. They’ve been very responsive when i’ve messaged on aliexpress. 

darkening

« Reply #343 on: August 20, 2024, 01:41:03 PM »

I've contacted them by Aliexpress with exact same problem. They've asked to take a picture of the frame serial number, that is located in a head tube, and sent it to them.

After that Airwolf confirmed that it is a warranty case. And I had to wait about a month to get the frame replacement(front triangle) shipped.

darkening

« Reply #344 on: August 20, 2024, 01:44:17 PM »
The metal shakes inside the carbon.  :'(

You can remove the insert, clean it and install back with epoxy glue.  After that it was going strong about a month without any creaking sounds.