Author Topic: Epic Evo Clone  (Read 65737 times)

darkening

Re: Epic Evo Clone
« Reply #345 on: August 20, 2024, 01:53:28 PM »
They recently went EPS mold on this frame
The replacement front triangle from Airwolf is also much more cleaner inside, they improved production quality a lot. But anyway, I think they both source it from the same factory.

Kactusdog

« Reply #346 on: August 20, 2024, 02:39:56 PM »
You can remove the insert, clean it and install back with epoxy glue.  After that it was going strong about a month without any creaking sounds.

How would you get that level and centered?

akuutti247

« Reply #347 on: August 20, 2024, 03:01:02 PM »
Hey again

I bought directly from their own web site and also have sent the frame number inside the headtube and videos where I shake the loose insert so it rattles.

It may be worth to buy from Aliexpress shops to get better customer service. (The price is usually higher there though.) I have used Alis own refund process a few times when the seller didn´t co-operate in a good way.

I did a google search for loose inserts and people suggest using two component epoxy glue. The insert has to be aligned straight. The glue hardens in about five minutes, so would it be wise to assemble bb and cranks and spin the the cranks a few times before hardening?

Kactusdog

« Reply #348 on: August 21, 2024, 12:50:16 AM »
Hey again

I bought directly from their own web site and also have sent the frame number inside the headtube and videos where I shake the loose insert so it rattles.

It may be worth to buy from Aliexpress shops to get better customer service. (The price is usually higher there though.) I have used Alis own refund process a few times when the seller didn´t co-operate in a good way.

I did a google search for loose inserts and people suggest using two component epoxy glue. The insert has to be aligned straight. The glue hardens in about five minutes, so would it be wise to assemble bb and cranks and spin the the cranks a few times before hardening?

I can’t comment on alignment, but I buy on Ali because I get a better deal for sure. Especially during sales.

darkening

« Reply #349 on: August 22, 2024, 01:17:25 AM »
How would you get that level and centered?
Install cranks before epoxy hardens. Wait for 24hrs. Done.

darkening

« Reply #350 on: August 22, 2024, 01:24:18 AM »
so would it be wise to assemble bb and cranks

yes

and spin the the cranks a few times before hardening?

Very carefully. Just make sure that u use a lot of epoxy glue while installing. You can easily wipe off excessive glue later.

And you should also degrease and clean the glued parts(frame and a caps).

Kactusdog

« Reply #351 on: August 22, 2024, 03:25:44 PM »
The replacement front triangle from Airwolf is also much more cleaner inside, they improved production quality a lot. But anyway, I think they both source it from the same factory.

Very interesting. What kind of travel are you getting on your set up? What’s your corresponding shock? I think i’m at about 90mm on a Fox DPS set at 45mm.

I’ve been toying with the idea of buying the linkage, yoke, and bearing kit of the Epic Evo to make this the 110 travel bike it was intended to be.

akuutti247

« Reply #352 on: August 23, 2024, 02:10:51 AM »
New warranty front triangle from Airwolf is on the way to Finland now.

i am happy.  :)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2024, 02:50:42 AM by akuutti247 »

darkening

« Reply #353 on: August 23, 2024, 05:55:53 AM »
What kind of travel are you getting on your set up? What’s your corresponding shock?

SIDLuxe A1 190x45mm. I think real travel you can get out of this setup is below 90mm. Hard to measure it. This frame has very progressive leverage ratio...And anti-squat value fells like just below 100%.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2024, 05:58:15 AM by darkening »

Kactusdog

« Reply #354 on: August 25, 2024, 03:54:19 PM »
SIDLuxe A1 190x45mm. I think real travel you can get out of this setup is below 90mm. Hard to measure it. This frame has very progressive leverage ratio...And anti-squat value fells like just below 100%.

that’s great, can you tell me a little bit more about what those two things mean? Progressive leverage curve and anti-squat being just below 100%. What do those feel like?

darkening

« Reply #355 on: August 25, 2024, 11:53:16 PM »
Anti squat: It's about how your suspension compress under pedaling forces.
Leverage ratio: Is the relationship between a given amount of movement the rear shock moves and how much travel it generates at the rear wheel.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/definitions-what-is-anti-squat.html

https://youtu.be/0fJDkxj6DCE?si=FTsMbN5KtFohkCHy

https://linkagedesign.blogspot.com/
« Last Edit: August 26, 2024, 12:01:34 AM by darkening »

Kactusdog

« Reply #356 on: August 26, 2024, 12:56:45 AM »
Anti squat: It's about how your suspension compress under pedaling forces.
Leverage ratio: Is the relationship between a given amount of movement the rear shock moves and how much travel it generates at the rear wheel.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/definitions-what-is-anti-squat.html

https://youtu.be/0fJDkxj6DCE?si=FTsMbN5KtFohkCHy

https://linkagedesign.blogspot.com/

Hey thank brother, but maybe I just was vague in my comment. I was hoping you could tell me how you think we benefit from this frame’s “progressive leverage curve”, and the near 100 anti squat. Why do we want each of those (as opposed to other frame styles) and how would you describe them? Sorry, suspensión is not my area of expertise!

darkening

« Reply #357 on: August 26, 2024, 01:03:21 AM »
The problem with progressive short travel suspension is that it is almost impossible to realize its full travel without making shock air pressure so low that it begins to bob a lot while pedaling. And anti-squat forces(that prevents shocks to be compressed from pedaling) are also not so high here. Canyon Lux, Orbea OIZ and BMC forstroke all have anti-squat more that 100% at sag point even with 36t chainring upfront.

In the end: if you want good pedaling platform with this frame, you'll have to use high air pressure(low sag %) and low rebound, in your shock. And with that amount of pressure its almost impossible to use it at full travel (if you are not jumping trails). Actually I was not able to fully compress the shock while riding. Ever. I think, this is why Specialized using brain with this linkage design. All 100mm epics come with brain.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2024, 01:11:54 AM by darkening »

ftajiri

« Reply #358 on: August 26, 2024, 08:26:23 AM »
I tested the frame with a different shock size... i use 200x51 fox float with 25%-30% sag... 150psi for 180lbs... it will fit perfecly and works like a butter...

not the correcly but takeoff from progressive limit and increase the terrain lecture.

darkening

« Reply #359 on: August 26, 2024, 10:55:30 AM »
i use 200x51 fox float with 25%-30% sag... 150psi for 180lbs... it will fit perfecly and works like a butter...

In this frame, larger volume shock should work better than tiny sidluxe. Canyon is using 210-50 for their 100mm travel xc bike.

40mm travel shock will never, ever, reach close to 100mm travel on this frame. Leverage ratio falls from ~2 to 1.8.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2024, 10:58:28 AM by darkening »