Author Topic: tantan GR044/ bxt grv135 instead of carbonda 696?  (Read 1826 times)

gravelcurious

tantan GR044/ bxt grv135 instead of carbonda 696?
« on: September 14, 2022, 07:05:02 PM »
Hi all,

Been thinking forever about buying a carbon frame and make my own build, but always afraid of "china crap'' & ''Carbon catastrophic failures".
From the research I've done I would be better off with a true and tested carbonda, but the shipping cost make it significantly more expensive than either the tantangr04 or bxt grl135. I'd be fine with either geo, just looking to tinker a bit and get out on the gravel.

From the bxt i seem to hear bad and good 50/50 so maybe not going for it? It's the cheapest by far.

The tantan seems like a legit frame (because of the company) but I haven't seen any info of this particular model.

What are your two cents? Any help/suggestions appreciated

PD. I've been lazy and looked up nothing about carbon wheels. Anything cheap and good? please ignore me if this has been covered ad nauseatum.

ChrisB

Re: tantan GR044/ bxt grv135 instead of carbonda 696?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2022, 10:49:57 AM »
From own experience TanTan/Seraph and Cwind worked well for me with no issues during build and use…
I would say go for the one you like… check my posts for more information about my builds.

BR Chris

gravelcurious

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2022, 09:30:37 PM »
Hey Chris Thanks!

I did see your builds, they look sick! and among other post that's the reason I'm thinking about doing it. I'm just terrified about ordering on Aliexpress.

Did you have to pay customs lately? What about the BXT brand? I found US stock for ''just" 100 bucks extra.

ChrisB

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2022, 07:37:48 AM »
I am located in Switzerland, so we pay the VAT which is at around 7%.
So for a Carbon frame I pay around 60-70 CHF/US$ with all fees included.
This may depend on your location.
Some of the vendors offer a special shipping option where they pre-pay the duties, so you do not have to worry.

P.S.
For carbon wheels have a look at Elite ENT, they are good entry level wheels. I have several in use without issues.
The 29mm x 40mm or the 32mm x 35mm are great for gravel builds both with tubes or going tubeless.

BR Chris
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 07:40:00 AM by ChrisB »

cybrsrce

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2022, 10:24:49 AM »
Hey Chris Thanks!

I did see your builds, they look sick! and among other post that's the reason I'm thinking about doing it. I'm just terrified about ordering on Aliexpress.

Did you have to pay customs lately? What about the BXT brand? I found US stock for ''just" 100 bucks extra.

I've ordered tons of stuff from Aliexpress, I wouldn't be too concerned about that especially if you pay attention to the name and reputation of the store.
Got a few BXT frames but they are full suspension XC.  Decent quality and have held up well.
Also built a GR044 and it has been pretty good according to my son.  The seat and chain stays may be a little flexible if you put down torque, he complains about brake rub when working hard in the saddle.
I have not paid any customs charges coming from Aliexpress for frames or components into the US.  Shipping is closer to pre-pandemic timelines now as well.