Author Topic: LCFS958 Build (eventually)  (Read 3855 times)

Remedy 7

LCFS958 Build (eventually)
« on: September 19, 2022, 07:29:17 PM »
I recently had a desire to build a mid travel trail bike to offset use of my LCFS947 that’s become a purpose built park bike.

I ordered the frame 6 days ago and it arrived to my door in the US today. Amazing turn around time for LightCarbon.

The frame was packaged nicely, unfortunately that’s where the nice things stopped.

I’ll preface this with I know what to expect when it comes to quality control and overall fit and finish when it comes to these frames. My 947 was purchased second hand and was in even better condition than this “new” frame I’ve received.

The biggest most glaring concern is the lower eyelets that mount to the top of the shock body are uneven, and the carbon that encases them is just poorly finished. The bearings inserted into them done seem to align either.

There was a chip in the epoxy where the rear triangle banged into the front, not the biggest issue because it’ll happen on the trail but still a bummer. Which the motion of the triangle feels “springy” like if I push it through it’s range of motion it wants to spring into place almost.

The headtube is best put… janky… it’s sharp around  the inner opening. Seems to be either delaminating or other.

All that said I’m sure LC will handle this the right way as I’ve had good experiences with their customer service so far.

Assuming they don’t want it back I’ll still build it up but my confidence will be greatly diminished.

I’ll updated this post once I have feedback from LC. The parts list I’ve compiled is pretty exciting!

vidlee

Re: LCFS958 Build (eventually)
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2022, 09:23:53 PM »
Wow.. those are pretty bad.

That's worse than the rear seat stay pivots of my LCFS947 when it first arrived. It looked like someone blindly took a dremel tool to shave off a few mm's...
Good thing is that LightCarbon made it right and sent me a new piece, even though I had to pay for shipping. Hopefully they will do the right thing and get you covered, completely.

Remedy 7

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2022, 09:44:19 PM »
Wow.. those are pretty bad.

That's worse than the rear seat stay pivots of my LCFS947 when it first arrived. It looked like someone blindly took a dremel tool to shave off a few mm's...
Good thing is that LightCarbon made it right and sent me a new piece, even though I had to pay for shipping. Hopefully they will do the right thing and get you covered, completely.

Ouch! They already replaced the seatstay under warranty on the 947 so I’m sure we can come to some agreements on this one.

Draz

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2022, 03:01:54 PM »
We have seen positive feedbacks for 958.
This one looks pretty bad tbh, even unacceptable for me. However i'm pretty sure that they will correct this..

Remedy 7

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2022, 05:52:07 PM »
We have seen positive feedbacks for 958.
This one looks pretty bad tbh, even unacceptable for me. However i'm pretty sure that they will correct this..

I saw the same feedback which I why I pulled the trigger over the AM831.

So far LC has assured me it’s fine and don’t seem to want to take action. If it was just one thing I would but it’s a list of issues that may or may not be safe. Looking at the lower bearings for the shock they don’t even look like they could be pressed out. I’ll give them time to correct it but telling me it’s no big deal is not cutting it.

Draz

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2022, 06:56:37 PM »
Well, I wasn't expecting that answer but at least they did. Nevertheless that doesn't change the poor finish and I'm saying poor because of generosity.

Maybe consider inspecting the connection more closely and figure if it is safe and only visual.
I know some retailers do some sort of money back for visually challenged product.

Well if it is not safe or you don't feel it's safe and maybe more issues appear, keep us updated so we all know what to expect.

Remedy 7

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2022, 08:49:22 PM »
It’s honestly probably not bad, just from a visual it’s like night and day bad compared to my 947 and I’ve beaten the piss out of that thing. I’d be happy with partial refund or a new front triangle. But we shall see.

Remedy 7

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2022, 09:08:27 AM »
Update - LC will be providing a new front triangle to make this all good.

Lots of parts arriving today so I’ll build it as a mock up for now.

vidlee

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2022, 09:57:15 AM »
Good to know that they pulled through!

Draz

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2022, 12:06:22 PM »

Here we go, customer satisfaction. Why not all the companies do that?

Remedy 7

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2022, 07:17:37 PM »
Here we go, customer satisfaction. Why not all the companies do that?

It’s not that hard! Glad to be going back in the right direction.

Here’s a quick mock-up. Testing out some colors. None of which are the final choice.

Draz

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2022, 02:32:28 PM »
Red is pretty bold but with the right tone it would be a beast.
Good blue shade is hard to pull off and they age poorly imo.
White gets dirty pretty quickly.
Purple is also decent royal purple color is my fav..

But if you find a place like this, (autobody shop & painting) you can basically perfect your own shade.
It doesn't cost much but it worth a lot. You don't need more than 6-7 ounces anyway.
They start with a color and add flavor until you are satisfied, metallic particle density, pearlescent white for the effect, etc.

Good luck with the paintjob.

emu26

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2022, 05:44:53 PM »

Who paid for shipping?

Good to hear they have stepped up and will be replacing it, bad to hear they let it leave the factory in that condition.  They do still seem to be top of the pile when it comes to customer service though.

Remedy 7

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2022, 05:45:06 PM »
Had troubles finding anyone close by wiling to do a bike. So I’ll be doing it myself. 

I’m between these shades now. Considering the fork is bronze/brown I feel like I’m limited on colors that will contrast nicely.

Remedy 7

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2022, 05:46:50 PM »
Who paid for shipping?

Good to hear they have stepped up and will be replacing it, bad to hear they let it leave the factory in that condition.  They do still seem to be top of the pile when it comes to customer service though.

LC is taking full ownership which includes shipping it to me.

I will also give credit where credit is due, my LCFS947 was bought second hand, they continued the warranty to me when they didn’t have to and I’ve used that once to replace a creaky seat stay on that bike.