Author Topic: LCFS958 Build (eventually)  (Read 3866 times)

emu26

Re: LCFS958 Build (eventually)
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2022, 04:04:23 PM »
LC is taking full ownership which includes shipping it to me.

I will also give credit where credit is due, my LCFS947 was bought second hand, they continued the warranty to me when they didn’t have to and I’ve used that once to replace a creaky seat stay on that bike.

That is great.

jefflinde

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2022, 06:56:06 PM »
I was a big DengFu fan and then ordered a 947 from LC as DF didn't have what I wanted. I have now ordered a 958, 2 918's and one of their gravel frames for friends and myself.  I have been very impressed with their customer service on a bunch of little things like random questions and a few frame issues.  Everything was worked out quickly and to my satisfaction. 

Her is my 958 and 947

Remedy 7

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2022, 10:09:57 AM »
I was a big DengFu fan and then ordered a 947 from LC as DF didn't have what I wanted. I have now ordered a 958, 2 918's and one of their gravel frames for friends and myself.  I have been very impressed with their customer service on a bunch of little things like random questions and a few frame issues.  Everything was worked out quickly and to my satisfaction. 

Her is my 958 and 947

Looks great man. How do you compare the ride between the two?

jefflinde

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2022, 06:56:40 PM »
Looks great man. How do you compare the ride between the two?

The 947 is very much an enduro frame.  I live in a flat state so only had it out a few times to one of 2 lift served parks in the state. It soaked up everything I threw at it with ease.  Very impressed with how well it did. Hoping to get it out west and take it on some serious downhill.  We don't have anything that is long enough to push suspension or brakes.  The 958 has really shocked me. Rides and handles like a 100-110mm bike bit of things get rowdy I have the extra travel there.  I think the 34mm chassis fork makes a big difference.  My normal XC bike is a 100mm with 32mm stanchions and the extra stiffness is noticed right away.   They are definitely two different tools for 2 different jobs.  But very happy with both.

Remedy 7

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2022, 06:59:45 PM »
The 947 is very much an enduro frame.  I live in a flat state so only had it out a few times to one of 2 lift served parks in the state. It soaked up everything I threw at it with ease.  Very impressed with how well it did. Hoping to get it out west and take it on some serious downhill.  We don't have anything that is long enough to push suspension or brakes.  The 958 has really shocked me. Rides and handles like a 100-110mm bike bit of things get rowdy I have the extra travel there.  I think the 34mm chassis fork makes a big difference.  My normal XC bike is a 100mm with 32mm stanchions and the extra stiffness is noticed right away.   They are definitely two different tools for 2 different jobs.  But very happy with both.

Great to hear it! My 947 has been a park weapon all year and it just keep crushing anything in its way. Excited to get my 958 going to see the difference.

Remedy 7

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2022, 12:51:54 PM »
Rear shock came in today (RS Deluxe Ultimate). Mounted with shiny new hardware from Offset Bushings.

Honestly is a pain in the ass to mount. The shaft with the bushings had to be FORCED into the the pivot . Likely from too much black protective coating. Will sand that down and make the proper size when I take it apart for paint.

Remedy 7

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2022, 06:24:09 PM »
Some more mock up shots while I wait for the remainder of parts. Then to tear it down for paint. Decided on Ceramic from Montana Gold.

Remedy 7

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2022, 08:42:56 PM »
Day one of paint. Underestimated how much I’d need. Project will resume Monday.

Remedy 7

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2022, 10:04:23 PM »
New front triangle is ready to ship. Much more satisfied with the finish of the lower pivots.

Remedy 7

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2022, 06:05:37 PM »
Last day of painting. Going to give it a day or so to fully cure.

Draz

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2022, 01:41:00 PM »
Last day of painting. Going to give it a day or so to fully cure.

Whats your procedure for clear coat? wet or dry?

Remedy 7

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2022, 09:25:07 PM »
Whats your procedure for clear coat? wet or dry?

I used SprayMaxx 2k clear. I shot one coat then wet sanded 800 grit. Then did a heavy coat and let it cure for 24 hours. I could have gone heavier in some spots but from 5ft away the bike looks great and that’s all I was really going for.

emu26

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2022, 11:00:27 PM »
I used SprayMaxx 2k clear. I shot one coat then wet sanded 800 grit. Then did a heavy coat and let it cure for 24 hours. I could have gone heavier in some spots but from 5ft away the bike looks great and that’s all I was really going for.

Looks good from afar, but far from good?   ;)

Remedy 7

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2022, 08:15:20 AM »
Looks good from afar, but far from good?   ;)

Spot on. Lol.

Getting closer. Ordered a dropper remote incompatible with my post and I need longer shift cable. But it’s 90% there. I will say the clearances on this frame are TIGHT. Putting it back together was hell and I definitely scratched the paint. Luckily in places you can’t see when it’s together. Cable routing isn’t bad, the dropper being the worst to maneuver.

Also waiting on longer riser bars but apparently the train they’re on has mechanical issues. So maybe I’ll button this up in about a week.

Draz

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2022, 11:40:40 AM »
Spot on. Lol.

Getting closer. Ordered a dropper remote incompatible with my post and I need longer shift cable. But it’s 90% there. I will say the clearances on this frame are TIGHT. Putting it back together was hell and I definitely scratched the paint. Luckily in places you can’t see when it’s together. Cable routing isn’t bad, the dropper being the worst to maneuver.

Also waiting on longer riser bars but apparently the train they’re on has mechanical issues. So maybe I’ll button this up in about a week.

I know that feeling, it was quite hard time to assemble again. I actually mentioned that if i recall correctly. Damaged the paint as well, nothing serious but still worth mentioning. It will be chemically bonded in weeks during this season. No frame protection yet!

My paint guy found this totally unnecessary. I also made a research and went with the less time consuming 3 layer clear coat.
Base coat
30mins
Clearcoat
10mins
another layer
10mins....

I'm pretty sure your method is better with frame tight clearance since it has thinner coating overall.

Let us know the close up results under daylight :).