Author Topic: Best 50mm Rim Brake Carbon Wheelset  (Read 873 times)

bsharp77

Best 50mm Rim Brake Carbon Wheelset
« on: September 21, 2022, 09:02:42 AM »
Hi all,

I'm building up a Alchemy Atlas carbon frame into a very lightweight build, mainly for hilly days and want to get a 50mm rim brake wheelset to finish it off.

After a lot of searching, the best wheels I can find at a seriously competitive price are the Elite Drive 50V Ultralight version.
Carbon Spokes
1315g

Is there anything else out there worth considering?
I have a set of 40mm Farsports Kaze on my other bike (TCR) which are excellent, but these look like they are about the same weight but with 10mm extra depth which should help on the flats - a win win surely?!

The only other contenders I had on my shortlist were Farsports, Light Bicycle & Winspace Hyper - but all of those were either dearer, heavier or both!

Any other options out there worth considering before I purchase?
Thanks a lot.

dr Smoooth

Re: Best 50mm Rim Brake Carbon Wheelset
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2022, 09:38:40 PM »
Hi all,

I'm building up a Alchemy Atlas carbon frame into a very lightweight build, mainly for hilly days and want to get a 50mm rim brake wheelset to finish it off.

After a lot of searching, the best wheels I can find at a seriously competitive price are the Elite Drive 50V Ultralight version.
Carbon Spokes
1315g

Is there anything else out there worth considering?
I have a set of 40mm Farsports Kaze on my other bike (TCR) which are excellent, but these look like they are about the same weight but with 10mm extra depth which should help on the flats - a win win surely?!

The only other contenders I had on my shortlist were Farsports, Light Bicycle & Winspace Hyper - but all of those were either dearer, heavier or both!

Any other options out there worth considering before I purchase?
Thanks a lot.

Elite Wheels are awesome wheels.  I am purchasing my second set, this set will go on my VB218.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 10:49:35 PM by dr Smoooth »

bsharp77

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2022, 05:01:25 AM »
Thanks DrSmooth - that's good to hear.
I've been in contact with them and they have been very helpful.
They have already said hubs can be specified as black as a special order and they are currently checking if they can provide oil slick colour nipples for me - this would be a nice finishing touch to really set the wheels off.

s3si1u

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2022, 12:55:35 PM »
Not much to offer here, just want to say I've always thought the Alchemy frames are super cool, definitely a bucket list frame. USA made, complete with a BMW-style fancy "Golden" pickup option.
Did you go with custom geo?

Currently in contact with Elite Wheels and Farsports myself for a new wheelset. I wish I had more to offer you, but I would be super interested to hear your thoughts on the Farsports Kaze!
Both companies are super helpful, but I think I'm going for the Farsports Kaze with DT350.
Instagram: @aerosloth