Author Topic: Aluminium 700c wheel gravel  (Read 964 times)

Aluminium 700c wheel gravel
« on: September 23, 2022, 04:38:29 AM »
Hello everyone, I have been lurking for a while on the forum. Checking all of the velobuild,carbonda,sensah empire build.
I know most of the entry level carbon recommended is elite wheel ent. (Correct me if I am wrong ).

I am really new to cycling so I won't go directly to full carbon etc...as my bicycle is my way of commuting and escaping a little in forest
I am looking for an aluminium gravel wheel 700c around 1500g -1700g for my simple Decathlon triban grvl.

I plan on building a carbonda next year if possible .
I am looking for a cheap wheelset for this winter to save money and continue riding before upgrading to carbonda and carbon wheel.
What could you recommend?

My stock wheels at the moment are 2.4kg
And quick release specifications are
Axle QR 9 * 135 REAR, 9 * 100 FRONT

Can I update to a thru axle also ?

I hope I get a read, to anyone reading this hello from France

bamboo_mountain

Re: Aluminium 700c wheel gravel
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2022, 08:39:55 AM »
Welcome to the forum!

I have actually just ordered some very cheap Koozer CX1800 gravel wheels from Aliexpress to test out, they are a bit over your target weight at around 1800g. They come in either QR or thru axle, but in your case, you probably can't change from QR to thru axle unless you swap frames as well.

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2022, 09:22:01 AM »
Yeah cool that's the only one I could find and I had it in folder of screenshots before I asked here :). So thanks I will try them out also :)

bamboo_mountain

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2022, 11:40:07 AM »
Yeah cool that's the only one I could find and I had it in folder of screenshots before I asked here :). So thanks I will try them out also :)

I will post some info here when mine arrive, should be a few weeks still. If you buy them, I bet you can pay a little extra and ask for both QR and thru axle end caps so that you are future proof. I'm currently using my carbon road wheels so it will no doubt be a downgrade, but I couldn't justify the extra cost for dedicated carbon gravel wheels in my case.

memebike

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2022, 08:38:16 PM »
which Triban are you riding? pretty sure they are all QR frames.

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2022, 12:27:12 AM »
Thanks a lot for the answers and the welcoming messages also.
I have a triban grvl 520 subcompact. Which is the burgundy gravel.
This is my first real bicycle as I am a newbie. Before that I had a triban rc500.
I believe as you said the frame is QR. So I need to order the pieces accordingly before I pull the trigger also on ali and koozer.
I thought I could find alternative to Mavic allroad S. But I will probably try koozer since the OEM wheels are 2400 gramms

s3si1u

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2022, 12:30:53 AM »
When I'm looking for alloy wheels I usually look for used sets on OfferUp, Facebook, etc.
My gravel bike runs tubeless Stan's MK3 wheels laced with Novatec hubs that I picked up for $75. QR disc, too. Paid BDop $40 or so to ship me thru axle dropouts and I have a very solid gravel wheelset for less than $150.
On my gf's bike she runs Alex alloy disc wheels also with QR dropouts. These are actually very nice, I picked them up on OfferUp brand new with Shimano SLX rotors for $150. Great deals to be had out there
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 12:32:39 AM by s3si1u »
Instagram: @aerosloth

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2022, 02:49:09 AM »
I cannot find the references you are listing and on Facebook market France there are not a lot of references listed

bamboo_mountain

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2022, 12:26:05 PM »
I finally got my CX1800 wheels and first impressions are pretty good. Comparable to a lot of OEM wheels. A bit on the narrow side but no complaints really for the price ~250 CAD incl. shipping. They also included a set of spare spokes which is nice.

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2022, 12:32:49 PM »
Thanks for your return:)
I am in the process of getting a set of carbon wheel half price now

Bigal

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2023, 08:05:51 PM »
I'm interest any feedback from  people that have used the CX1800 wheelset as I am considering a purchase.