Author Topic: Hardtail frames supporting large chainrings  (Read 911 times)

6speed

Hardtail frames supporting large chainrings
« on: September 24, 2022, 08:50:18 PM »
Are there any MTB hardtail frames that can support large chainrings e.g. 40t?  Non-boost spacing would be preferable.

Draz

Re: Hardtail frames supporting large chainrings
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2022, 08:49:24 AM »
I don't really know any frame as described. However I would like to point out some facts.

Max chainring size is the nemesis of max tire clearance.
So it really depends on what kind of mtb hardtail you are looking for, 2.4 inch tyre support is what i call minimum for a mtb.
Then it comes to material used to achieve that clearance, carbon fiber is usually thicker than metals so it kinda eats up the space between chainring and tire.
Also bb drop is an important factor to consider.

After having these thoughts,
You are basically looking for short travel fork to (mitigate bb drop), metal, long chainstay mtb.
Todays standards, I doubt you will find that.
If you absolutely need 40+ single speed chainring, why not consider a gravel bike.

jfcb

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2022, 09:46:12 AM »
Light-carbon LCM904, though it mentions 36t max, I'm riding it in the winter on the road with a 42t oval ring on an old XTR (non-boost) crank, so it can probably handle 44t round.  It's a lightweight frame, stiff and has served many years as as a XC race frame for me.
Yishunbike sells the same frame (same company)

6speed

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2022, 08:19:43 PM »
Light-carbon LCM904, though it mentions 36t max, I'm riding it in the winter on the road with a 42t oval ring on an old XTR (non-boost) crank, so it can probably handle 44t round.

Did you have to cheat somehow to make that work? e.g. Install it as 1x where the outer ring should be on a double?

6speed

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2022, 08:26:31 PM »
What I really want is a flat bar road bike, so a gravel frame would be ideal except for the short reach and top tube.  I have given up trying to find that and I am looking at MTB frames.  It seems that 38t is the limit, but with a 10t cassette cog, I would need a 40t chainring for the riding I do.

johnnchc

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2022, 10:49:04 PM »
Lexon Scale goes up to 40T and has front derailleur mount if required. Geometry suitable for monster gravel.

6speed

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2022, 11:24:12 PM »
Thanks for the tip.  I see that Lexon has a bunch of hardtails that will do 40t.

Trifox SDY20 will also do 40t but is more expensive.

jfcb

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2022, 02:11:06 AM »
Did you have to cheat somehow to make that work? e.g. Install it as 1x where the outer ring should be on a double?

yes indeed, did use an 2X chainring.