Author Topic: Tubeless Wheel Plugs.  (Read 601 times)

1Sigma

Tubeless Wheel Plugs.
« on: October 02, 2022, 02:00:27 PM »
Anyone use these? Silicone plugs instead of rim tape
Are they any good?

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mssGPni

I'm pretty adept at taping rims, but world rather not if I don't have to.
Apparently good up to 400PSI and reusable

Better than average - Extra Average

kbike

Re: Tubeless Wheel Plugs.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2022, 03:30:47 PM »
I thought these were for inner tubes. So the inner tube wouldn't over inflate over spoke holes with rim tape causing a possible tube failure.  I wouldn't trust these for tubeless and would add 20-24 places for a leak. Maybe the sealant could clog any nipple hole leaks. I have enough issues setting beads on tubeless. I wouldn't like trying to find sealant leaking from nipple hole after seating my tires.

Queen of Skulls

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2022, 04:50:34 PM »
I agree they dont look like they would be air tight.  also thats more wight than tape.
Off with your Head tubes...

If the girls dont find you pretty they should at least find you handy...

[color #FE0000]P[/color][color #FDA601]R[/color][color #FFFF01]I[/color][color #008000]D[/color][color #1614E4]E[/color][color #80007E]!!!![/color]

carbonazza

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2022, 06:14:22 PM »
I prefer rims UST or no hole(but the valve)
It is a bit fiddly to pass the nipples+spoke-bit with a magnet when you build a wheel or replace a spoke.
But after a wheel or two it becomes natural.
There is no tape peeling risk when changing a tire, no leaks, easy to clean.
I didn't make a weight difference: more carbon(because no hole) vs holes+tape.

1Sigma

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2022, 09:51:29 PM »
Yea, tubeless plugs do exist, but probably not these.
One vague auto-translated review suggested they worked with tubeless but, you know, it was vague. And auto-translated. 

Claim is that it is lighter than rim tape, but the difference either way must be inconsequential.

Extra points of potential failure could mean a messy experiment...

I love the idea of UST rims. The wheel builder I work with, less so. Lol

Thanks for input all
Better than average - Extra Average

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2022, 01:13:13 AM »
With tape you have two edges which are the only main points of failure and the tape often extends so far from the spoke holes that even minor bubbles or wrinkles etc can’t break the seal.

With plugs you get 28-32 circular points of failure and the plugs can become misaligned during or after installation in ways that aren’t possible with tape.

This isn’t to say that good ones can’t work. It’s saying that it’s an inherently more failure prone system and not by a little, but by a lot.

Queen of Skulls

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2022, 03:02:07 AM »
With tape you have two edges which are the only main points of failure and the tape often extends so far from the spoke holes that even minor bubbles or wrinkles etc can’t break the seal.

With plugs you get 28-32 circular points of failure and the plugs can become misaligned during or after installation in ways that aren’t possible with tape.

This isn’t to say that good ones can’t work. It’s saying that it’s an inherently more failure prone system and not by a little, but by a lot.

I am for their use with a standard tire and tube set up. it would be so much easier to do maintenance on the wheel...  Pop out a plug, tighten a spoke, pop in the plug. Bobs your uncle.. Actually Bobs my great uncle.
Off with your Head tubes...

If the girls dont find you pretty they should at least find you handy...

[color #FE0000]P[/color][color #FDA601]R[/color][color #FFFF01]I[/color][color #008000]D[/color][color #1614E4]E[/color][color #80007E]!!!![/color]

zxcvbnmjm

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2022, 08:13:39 AM »
I use veloplugs. These are just cheap versions of i suppose. I think i would suggest getting veloplugs or a reputable brand than cheap aliexpress versions. Id be worried that theyre not finished properly and may have some sharp edges that may cause a flat? Or maybe im being paranoid

They definitely wont work with tubeless though

Anyway, mine work perfectly fine and ive never had a problem with them. and i think i saved around 15-20g per wheel from using rim tape. Just make sure you get the right size that will fit the holes in your rim!