Author Topic: SROAD lightweight cassettes  (Read 5954 times)

hwpaints

Re: SROAD lightweight cassettes
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2023, 02:15:37 PM »
i use the mtb ultra light 10/50 xd cassettes for 3 years now on 2 bikes, works very good i can 8000km with 2 chains kmc hole year wet and dirt.

only the price going sky high for this cassettes now 175€ but stil half price of sram xx1

dsveddy

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2023, 08:10:31 AM »
I've bought 3 cassettes from SROAD, all shimano-lockring style, I believe the old design, and honestly had a fine time with them.

I run an 11s/11-32 on my road bike, 11s/10-42 on my commuter bike, and 10s/11-36 on my cross bike. I've run them with mechanical SRAM road, 1x-road/gravel, and MTB derailleurs, as well as LTWOO's R9 derailleur, and a Shimano Ultegra R8000 rear derailleur. They all do fine.

They do NOT shift as nice as Shimano. They are loud, and are more prone to rough shifts. But they have been seriously ok. No breaking of teeth. The shifts happen, and they are smooth enough for me. On my road bike I've had the occasional "slippery" shift when my rear derailleur wasn't set up right, but that's the worst of it.

Sebastian

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2023, 02:06:19 AM »
Update on my creaking 12sp cassette - more than 1000km later, the creaking still hasn't returned since I put thread lock on the interface between the spider and the cogs. So fingers crossed that I fixed the issue. Still, it seems that this interface, where the cogs are riveted to the spider can be a weak spot.

As for shifting and wear - it's been good. Not in any way inferior to cassettes from Shimano/Sram/Campag that I've been using in the past. The rainbow finish still looks like new.

jonathanf2

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2023, 10:17:08 AM »
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804609644012.html?

I remember seeing more sizes for the SRoad MTB cassettes. Now I can only find 11-42t on AliEx. I'm thinking of increasing cassette size on my 1x road bike, but I was hoping to stay 11-40t. Now I can't seem to find those other sizes. If not, I'll probably end up sticking with a Shimano XT cassette, but the weight penalty will be another 100g.

I seriously hate AliExpress' search function. It's useless!

jcr

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2023, 10:37:56 AM »
I've picked up an 11s 11-28 cassette and had issues with it. Couldn't get it to shift cleanly and it was very noisy. Also the lightweight lockring being aluminum seem to strip like cheese when I try to torque it correctly. Went back to my 105 cassette and no issues with the shifting or lockring.

Sebastian

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2023, 04:31:55 AM »
I've picked up an 11s 11-28 cassette and had issues with it. Couldn't get it to shift cleanly and it was very noisy. Also the lightweight lockring being aluminum seem to strip like cheese when I try to torque it correctly. Went back to my 105 cassette and no issues with the shifting or lockring.

What drivetrain did you pair it with? These cassettes are known to shift badly with Shimano's newer derailleurs bc these rely heavily on Shimano's own cassette/cog design with very specific ramps. Trace Velo did a video about it.

jcr

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2023, 08:23:14 AM »
What drivetrain did you pair it with? These cassettes are known to shift badly with Shimano's newer derailleurs bc these rely heavily on Shimano's own cassette/cog design with very specific ramps. Trace Velo did a video about it.

Using the Sensah Empire 11 speed..... thought that is supposed to be compatible but somehow I cannot get it to play nicely.

Pedaldancer

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2023, 06:52:58 PM »

Well.... i have two rear derailleurs from the 8000 Ultegra line. One mechanic, one di2. So the newest 11 speed derailleur.
My 11-34 and 11-32 Sroad cassettes are working perfectly on both of them. Since 2500 and 3000km.
I would strongly doubt that the interpretation from trace velo is correct.

Sebastian

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2023, 12:59:30 AM »
Well.... i have two rear derailleurs from the 8000 Ultegra line. One mechanic, one di2. So the newest 11 speed derailleur.
My 11-34 and 11-32 Sroad cassettes are working perfectly on both of them. Since 2500 and 3000km.
I would strongly doubt that the interpretation from trace velo is correct.

That’s good to know, indeed. Thx for sharing.
For what it’s worth: I’ve been using both the 11 and the 12sp version of these cassettes with three different Campagnolo drivetrains. They’ve been working flawless with each one of them.
The 12sp cassette however I did have to put a small spacer behind. My rear wheel uses j bend spokes in a Novatec hub. So these protrude a tiny bit further towards the DS from the hub shell. That was enough to make the cassette spider touch the spokes when I put it on the freehub without a spacer. I think on a hub with straight pull spokes, I’d have no such issue.

Pedaldancer

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2023, 01:08:45 PM »
That’s good to know, indeed. Thx for sharing.
For what it’s worth: I’ve been using both the 11 and the 12sp version of these cassettes with three different Campagnolo drivetrains. They’ve been working flawless with each one of them.
The 12sp cassette however I did have to put a small spacer behind. My rear wheel uses j bend spokes in a Novatec hub. So these protrude a tiny bit further towards the DS from the hub shell. That was enough to make the cassette spider touch the spokes when I put it on the freehub without a spacer. I think on a hub with straight pull spokes, I’d have no such issue.

Oh well that sounds very likely to happen, good that i only ride straight pull..  ;D
But the shifting of the cassette is fine ?

jonathanf2

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2023, 11:56:33 AM »
Using the Sensah Empire 11 speed..... thought that is supposed to be compatible but somehow I cannot get it to play nicely.

I find chain selection can make a difference in shift performance on these aftermarket cassettes. I've also resorted to using 12 speed chains on 11 speed drivetrains. More wiggle room between cogs and depending on the chain, smoother/quieter shifting.

Sebastian

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2023, 03:52:37 AM »
Oh well that sounds very likely to happen, good that i only ride straight pull..  ;D
But the shifting of the cassette is fine ?

Shifting is fine, yes. No difference to any other cassette. I haven’t used other 12sp cassettes but I compared the 11sp cassette to others from Shimano, Campagnolo and Sunrace. No difference at all. Monobloc cassettes do however transfer more noise IME, like I wrote in an earlier post. The drivetrain definitely is louder with these cassettes, particularly when combined with very deep carbon wheels.

jonathanf2

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2023, 01:22:20 PM »
Are these SRoad cassettes worth it? I've read issues with the alloy spider by the rivets being a weak point. The Lexon store on AliEx, has them on discount, but for not much more I can just pick up an Ultegra / 105 11 speed cassette with proven durability.

bremerradkurier

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2023, 02:22:15 PM »
This steel monobloc cassette in 11 speed 11-28 Shimano HG has decent reviews on Weight Weenies-more expensive, but the freehub interface looks a lot stronger than Sroad's.

https://bdopcycling.com/product/bdop-steel-cassette-shimano-sram-11spd-11-28t/

OlieSimpson

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2023, 02:40:41 PM »
Are these SRoad cassettes worth it? I've read issues with the alloy spider by the rivets being a weak point. The Lexon store on AliEx, has them on discount, but for not much more I can just pick up an Ultegra / 105 11 speed cassette with proven durability.

I've used my black SRoad 11-28 cassette for roughly 6,500km's with zero issues and have had great shifting (paired with Shimano R7000 shifters and derailleur and Ultegra CN-HG701-11 chain). I wouldn't say durability is an issue from my experience.

I'm actually going to pick a second one up (11-32) whilst they're on offer at Lexon.