Author Topic: SROAD lightweight cassettes  (Read 5952 times)

jonathanf2

Re: SROAD lightweight cassettes
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2023, 12:59:29 PM »
So I received a 2nd Spedao/SRoad cassette from the Lexon store which I purchased during the last sale, this cassette doesn't appear to be skipping. I'm wondering if the 1st cassette (which I returned) had a bad 12t cog causing it to skip? Anyways, just to verify, does everyone else's cassette make more noise in the 1st-2nd small cogs compared to a standard cassette?

Michi

« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2024, 02:43:28 PM »
Update on my creaking 12sp cassette - more than 1000km later, the creaking still hasn't returned since I put thread lock on the interface between the spider and the cogs. So fingers crossed that I fixed the issue. Still, it seems that this interface, where the cogs are riveted to the spider can be a weak spot.

As for shifting and wear - it's been good. Not in any way inferior to cassettes from Shimano/Sram/Campag that I've been using in the past. The rainbow finish still looks like new.
I suppose I ran into the same problem: have a 12speed 11-50 cassette. Been running it for aprx. 1500km when a creaking started and quickly became quite loud. Dis- and reassembly (with mounting paste) stopped the noise for 100...150km. It is a once-per-rearwheel-revolution creak. Where did you apply the locktite exactly? I see the steel cogs somehow mounted to the aluminium part... but no gap where I could apply any the Loctite. Also which loctite did you use? Some gap-filler? Thanks a lot for any hint!

hsaus

« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2024, 01:40:30 PM »
So I received a 2nd Spedao/SRoad cassette from the Lexon store which I purchased during the last sale, this cassette doesn't appear to be skipping. I'm wondering if the 1st cassette (which I returned) had a bad 12t cog causing it to skip? Anyways, just to verify, does everyone else's cassette make more noise in the 1st-2nd small cogs compared to a standard cassette?

I have an 11 speed 11-32T Spedao/Sroad cassette. No skipping or unusual noise on any cogs.

Fish #6

« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2024, 05:10:22 PM »
I have an 11-speed 11-32 SROAD cassette. It's been on my main bike for two years, it's just coming up on 16,000 km and I've had no issues whatsoever. It's used with 4 waxed chains in rotation and pretty well looked after.

ausmtb8989

« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2024, 06:15:04 AM »
I have a SROAD 11-42 MTB cassette and no issues so far after 3 months of riding

zerstorer

« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2024, 06:42:55 AM »
A Sroad cassette is definitely noisier than a normal steel cassette because it's hollowed out inside. Have been using one for about 5000km and it's still in good condition.
For those who was, if you experience skipping on some cogs, sometimes it can be due to wax buildup on the cassette. Just scraping it clean will solve the skipping.

Serge_K

« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2024, 06:46:56 AM »
I had noise on the second to last cog of a 11-32 i installed after using an 11-34 because i had to put the 11-34 on another bike for a bit. I didn't adjust the RD cage nor did i resize the chain. I suspect the reason is that: i didn't adjust the RD cage, and maybe to a lesser extent because the chain is too long. I'll update this if i can't get rid of the noise. I think that more often than not, people with noisy drive trains are due to user error rather than equipment.
I've been using those chinese alu & steel extra light cassettes.
Also, in one instance, 1 of the tiny torx screw at the back of one of them was getting loose. I think going fwd i'll loctite these before installing the cassette for peace of mind.
There are a lot of bolts on a bike that i find benefit from getting loctite.
And indeed, you have to monitor wax buildup, it happened to me once and it can build up quite fast.

Michi

« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2024, 08:46:52 AM »
Thanks for picking up the topic again! To be more precise regarding the type of cassette: it is this one https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005001874227807.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.89.201b5c5fm3ZIaJ&gatewayAdapt=glo2deu (hope the link works... how can I create those short links?) It is a one-piece cog design machined from steel, installed on a aluminium carrier. Just the smallest cog is a separate one. From the message I commented ybove I read that there was a similar design referred to, and the fix was to apply Loctite.
Now I put some Loctite 641 to the area where the steel and the aluminium part are in contact. Not sure whether it has a chance to intrude and cure...