Author Topic: Interesting Aliexpress finds! - good deals, interesting stuff, new products etc!  (Read 142014 times)

TidyDinosaur

I use hookless rims on all my bikes: gravel, road, and mtb, and I've never had any issues. What's so bad about hookless?

Yeah, same here. Hookless all around  :)

Sebastian

I use hookless rims on all my bikes: gravel, road, and mtb, and I've never had any issues. What's so bad about hookless?

Nothing. As long as the rim is within spec and you don't want to run pressures higher than around 70psi.
I use hookless on my gravel bike and like it a lot. On the road bike I'm staying clear of hookless for the time being.

JonMS

Anyone tried these new lightweight cassettes by ZTTO out? Seems like a competitor to the SROAD cassettes as all the cogs are steel but are hollowed out to save weight.
The main difference is that the aluminum spider seems to be attached with thicker and more robust arms, maybe fixing the cracking issue from long-term use of SROAD.

11-speed version: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805693978065.html

12-speed version: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805694312729.html

I have a 11-34 12 speed on the way in blue. https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805628739141.html?

I already have a 11-32 12 speed SROAD with 600 miles on it and no problems.

coffeebreak

Did anyone order (and receive) the 12 speed GRX groupset from Aliex? It was live for a while but the link is dead now.

coffeebreak

Latest Shimano 105 R7120 12 speed mechanical groupset

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNvg0d4

jonathanf2

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805238102015.html

I finally received my finned brake pads for my Juin Tech F1 calipers. I know full hydraulic is the way to go (I have them on my gravel bike), but this setup has been working fine for all the road climbing/descending I do. Pad material is a bit thick, so if your rotor is slightly off, you'll have to bed them in or sand then down slightly.

Tijoe

I've been running the Juin Tech GT-P 4 piston hybrid calipers for about 4 years now.   I chose these because of great reviews, and that I could use regular STI brake shift levers on my gravel bike, and not have to pay out big $$$ for indexed hydraulic levers.
4 years later I look back, and have not really been happy with them overall.

1.  For general riding on paved roads and some gravel roads with limited descending they worked great.
2.  On long steep or technical descents I have had many problems with them.
     -  Calipers overheating, and the mineral oil expanding and locking the pads onto the rotors.
     -  Brake fade on long descents.
     -  Almost continuously having to adjust the knob on the caliber because if too loose, then the brake lever pulls too far, or if too tight, often drags the pads causing overheating.
     -  rapid pad wear. 
3.  In about 8K mikes, I have replaced pads 4 times.
4.  About 2 weeks ago, the front caliper was working, then all the sudden it no longer stopped me. No matter how hard I pulled on the brakes.  Swapped to another GT-P caliper.  Cleaned the one I took off, opened up the bleed ports, and had to add some mineral oil.   No signs of leaking oil anywhere on the caliper.  I am guessing that a bubble must have developed and kept the pistons from pushing on the pads to rotor.   This issue almost caused me to crash on a sharp left hand corner.  Thank goodness the rear was still working.

I migrated away from these hybrid Juin Tech hybrid calipers to full hydraulic on my 29er hardtail that is set up as a gravel grinder.  Once I put on full hydraulic brakes, I realized how poorly the Juin Tech really perform.   

I Plan to swap out the Juin Tech's for full hydraulic this winter on my Gravel bike. 

I have become addicted the the ZTTO Carbon "H" bars.  I already have them on 3 of my bikes.  Even though they have less of a drop than regular flared gravel bars or road drop bars, I find them to work really well and they allow you to run mtn. bike hydraulic brake levers and the Wheel Top EDS derailleur.

coffeebreak

^ Do you mean Zniino bars? I used them two times but with MTB style brakes and shifters - did you use them with road groupset?

jonathanf2

I've been running the Juin Tech GT-P 4 piston hybrid calipers for about 4 years now.   I chose these because of great reviews, and that I could use regular STI brake shift levers on my gravel bike, and not have to pay out big $$$ for indexed hydraulic levers.

1.  For general riding on paved roads and some gravel roads with limited descending they worked great.
     -  Calipers overheating, and the mineral oil expanding and locking the pads onto the rotors.
     -  Almost continuously having to adjust the knob on the caliber because if too loose, then the brake lever pulls too far, or if too tight, often drags the pads causing overheating.
     -  rapid pad wear. 
4.  About 2 weeks ago, the front caliper was working, then all the sudden it no longer stopped me. No matter how hard I pulled on the brakes.  Swapped to another GT-P caliper.  Cleaned the one I took off, opened up the bleed ports, and had to add some mineral oil.   No signs of leaking oil anywhere on the caliper.  I am guessing that a bubble must have developed and kept the pistons from pushing on the pads to rotor.   This issue almost caused me to crash on a sharp left hand corner.  Thank goodness the rear was still working.

I migrated away from these hybrid Juin Tech hybrid calipers to full hydraulic on my 29er hardtail that is set up as a gravel grinder.  Once I put on full hydraulic brakes, I realized how poorly the Juin Tech really perform.   

I Plan to swap out the Juin Tech's for full hydraulic this winter on my Gravel bike.

In road configuration, the Juin Tech F1 calipers work fine on a lightweight frameset. I can still attack fast downhills with no issue. I like the fact I can adjust pad distance which makes fine tuning easier. I tend to feather my braking so I don't have issues locking my brakes. Though I want to do away with cables soon, so I'm leaning towards going with the LTwoo ERX in the near future since it seems the hardware and software bugs are starting to be ironed out.

Tijoe

"In road Configuration"   who needs disc brakes unless you are riding in adverse wet weather?   Regular weight weenie rim brake calipers are still lighter and brake good enough to ride on the majority of asphalt roads.

ktryoji

-  rapid pad wear. 

I have become addicted the the ZTTO Carbon "H" bars.  I already have them on 3 of my bikes.  Even though they have less of a drop than regular flared gravel bars or road drop bars, I find them to work really well and they allow you to run mtn. bike hydraulic brake levers and the Wheel Top EDS derailleur.

Agreed. I have Juin Tech GT-F 4 and don't think they're worth they money remotely, and ultimately got a new fully hydraulic groupset. Do note that I've a heavy guy (180lbs) living in a hilly area, so it may be fine for you depending on where you live/how much you weight etc. For anyone who gets told that they're as good as hydraulic: they're not even remotely close, unless you bleed your hydraulic groupset really really badly.

jonathanf2

"In road Configuration"   who needs disc brakes unless you are riding in adverse wet weather?   Regular weight weenie rim brake calipers are still lighter and brake good enough to ride on the majority of asphalt roads.

I run my road bikes more like fast gravel bikes with higher gearing and gravel slicks. I have no qualms taking my road bikes through rough asphalt and closed off fire roads. I don't see rim brake calipers as an option for the way I ride.

jonathanf2

I know you guys hate cable hydraulic brakes with a passion, but Juin Tech just released their 6 piston calipers. Though price is a bit steep at $244 USD per caliper!

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805765658943.html

Updated: Also Juin Tech F1S calipers are now released with an updated pad adjuster on the side of the caliper:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805774969869.html

« Last Edit: September 03, 2023, 11:28:16 PM by jonathanf2 »

zaphodbeeblebrox

Those 6 piston calipers are interesting. Very expensive though.

I had an ok time with the Juin Tech F1s. The cable housing/routing seems very important to get them to feel good. Yet another difficulty with integrated handlebars/stem/headset. At least there's some cheaper fully hydraulic groupset options now.

00Garza

Anyone brave enough to try these 5Dev knockoffs?
$35.38  50% Off | CHD Mountain Bike Aviation Aluminum Hollow Crank 170MM 36T Toothed Plate Road Off Road Vehicle Crank
https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0bsPL4

With the failures the legit cranks had, I’m surprised they actually got copied.