Author Topic: Interesting Aliexpress finds! - good deals, interesting stuff, new products etc!  (Read 147074 times)

carbonazza

I thought shimano chains use the pin you press in not the quick releases.  Has shimano changed to supply the quick releases now?
Yes. You can buy them with or without a quick link.

jonathanf2

I have road a BXT fat bike frame the last two winters with success. That said I purchased a this frame with the BF deal, Gloss white. Will end up being a spare/trainer bike with my Carbonda 969 being the primary. I also ordered an integrated handlebar/stem for it. Look forward to yet another build.

Glad someone took advantage of the deal. I really wanted to buy that frame, but I have too many bikes as-is! Definitely keep us updated when you receive the frame and build it.

Fat Larry

Yes. You can buy them with or without a quick link.

Really? I just picked up an HG95 chain from Ali and as far as i can tell its a fake. Pretty convincing fake though. Package has everything in the right place, no mistakes etc.

Came with a quick link in the chain wrapping and has no quick link instructions included. It should come with a pin as far as i know.

FullCarbonAlchemist

There are rumors that some of these fakes are re-using legitimate Shimano packaging to make the fakes more convincing. Shimano themselves all but confirmed this when they changed their packaging in 2020/2021 to be more recyclable but also less re-usable: stuff like ditching all the plastic packaging for MTB cleats and replacing it with small, thin cardboard boxes that contain paper pouches. You tear the pouch and it can’t be re-used.

Not the most foolproof system but definitely not as easy as the old packaging where shady operations could just toss fake cleats into used plastic and snap it back shut using the reclosable corner tabs.

impmonkey

Glad someone took advantage of the deal. I really wanted to buy that frame, but I have too many bikes as-is! Definitely keep us updated when you receive the frame and build it.

Will for sure do. Will be putting AXS on the 696 so this one is getting the Rival 1x11 HRD groupset that is currently on the 696.
Pretty excited to get really mad at the internal routing through the headset/handelbar :)

coffeebreak

Looks good. May be Tracevelo will test it for us! Speaking of carbon parts though, my Toseek branded flat bar is here after flying under the radar for 2 weeks. A rather surprising quality look and feel to the bar. I'm glad. Much better than some other carbon parts I got. Came with a quality seal with hologram and scratch-to-reveal serial number etc.

Fat Larry

Definitely!
https://r2-bike.com/SHIMANO-Ultegra-XT-Chain-CN-HG701-11-speed-116-Links-with-Chain-Connector

Ah.. i read somewhere the 10 speed HG95 only comes with a pin. I got a refund anyway and will use the chain with while keeping a sharp eye on it and the rest of the drive train. Hopefully if it is fake it doesn't wreck anything.

Will be buying PYC chains from Ali for the next we while. They're about half the price of anything else local to me.

coffeebreak

Thanks all. The order has shipped after a considerable delay. I'll post a small review once it's here!

Update on Shimano Deore 12s mini groupset that I ordered. It reached to me today.

From what I can see, the shifter and RD look genuine Shimano with pretty high quality finish on both. No smudges, grease marks or dust at all. But absolutely no paperwork either - no manual, stickers nothing. Just thick plastic bag for each. The cable came attached to shifter and it's the Teflon coated type which makes me happy.

The chain is KMC X12 which also looks OG but I don't have reference chain from say REI or LBS. For now, it passes as genuine.

Finally the cassette which is riveted together almost 90% of cogs except the last two. Has an interesting red colored spider inside holding all together. Installed without any fuss but shift performance is strictly okay. Can't hold a candle to my well used Ultegra cassette on other build. Not even close to 105 cassette either.
I think that the machining is not precise and hoping that any sharp edges will be worn off with use and performance might improve? In any case it's not the best but it's not the worst either. It's on my now-converted-to-flatbar bike which will see occasional use.

Attaching pictures, just in case.

Zomb1e

But absolutely no paperwork either - no manual, stickers nothing. Just thick plastic bag for each.
This is standard OEM packaging. And that's why they cost so low.

jungian

If you're going to try it, you might as well buy direct from Onirii:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804780327674.html?

It looks like the axle is alloy. I notice alloy axle cranks don't sell well on AliExpress, probably for good reason.

Ah good catch about the axle and seller! Hoping other brands like the Elilee XXE or Skypivot show up on aliexpress someday.

jonathanf2

Ah good catch about the axle and seller! Hoping other brands like the Elilee XXE or Skypivot show up on aliexpress someday.

Alloy axle cranksets is one area I've been hesitant to make the switch with to AliExpress parts. My criteria has to include a significant weight and price difference, while maintaining some level of durability versus my tried-n-true Shimano parts. For example, I'm a big fan of the ultra lightweight steel/alloy cassette, but the price/weight/durability is worth it for me. Plus the alloy cogs aren't always in-use. With these alloy axle cranksets, that alloy axle has constant force being applied to it, so it's one area I wouldn't want to chance regarding durability.

00Garza

Alloy axle cranksets is one area I've been hesitant to make the switch with to AliExpress parts.

Only a few mtb cranks I've seen on ali that use a 24mm steel axle. Can't find any road or gravel steel axles, but most have moved to larger diameter alloy axles. I'd still prefer steel.