Author Topic: Interesting Aliexpress finds! - good deals, interesting stuff, new products etc!  (Read 138361 times)

wwnero

My Elita one seatpost snapped last weekend. I’ve been in contact with them and they’ve offered to either replace it or give the money back. I’ve been going back and forth on this because overall I’ve found the seatpost quite comfortable for the 5 rides I’ve used it but I’m lucky it didn’t break while I was putting down power or in a group ride. Could have resulted in a big crash. It broke where the post meets the frame, i torqued it to 4nm, used carbon paste and had no issues with sliding. It’s an aluminum frame so I’m not sure it that contributed to the issue. I’m a heavier rider (86kg) so maybe that contributed to it as well

Wet Noodle

It’s an aluminum frame so I’m not sure it that contributed to the issue.
Aluminium doesn't destroy carbon, carbon destroys aluminium (if anything), so it shouldn't have. However, sharpish edges as well as mismatched diameters (bad tolerances) can cause some harm ... or just a bad product, who knows.

Which diameter and length was it? If you stick to 27,2 mm (frame could be shimmed down) and have a bit of exposed length for the post to flex, any cf seatpost should be quite comfy.

s3si1u

I've got some of these AXS pulley wheels from JRC Components on the way. Seems like a quality product, carried by many retailers (mainly in Europe).
I got mine here in the US on Amazon for ~$60. Anyone used these before?

amazon.com/dp/B09GCGMQ94?
jrc-components.com/collections/drive-train
Instagram: @aerosloth

wwnero

Aluminium doesn't destroy carbon, carbon destroys aluminium (if anything), so it shouldn't have. However, sharpish edges as well as mismatched diameters (bad tolerances) can cause some harm ... or just a bad product, who knows.

Which diameter and length was it? If you stick to 27,2 mm (frame could be shimmed down) and have a bit of exposed length for the post to flex, any cf seatpost should be quite comfy.

When installing the seatpost, it fit really snugly so I don’t think it was an issue of tolerances. I have a 27.2mm frame and got that for the post with 350mm length. I installed the post a bit lower then I would have preferred because I figured the less exposed it would be the less stresses as well. I realized it would also be less “comfy” but after using it I was quite happy. I’m thinking it probably has to do with my weight and having the saddle as setback as possible creating additional strain. I will probably request a refund and get a carbon seatpost from a more reputable brand. I don’t feel like taking this risk again

zilcho

Has anyone had luck find Oakleys on Ali? It always seemed like a game of whack-a-mole with new stores popping up but I haven't seen anything in a while and was needing a new pair of Sutros.

jonathanf2

When installing the seatpost, it fit really snugly so I don’t think it was an issue of tolerances. I have a 27.2mm frame and got that for the post with 350mm length. I installed the post a bit lower then I would have preferred because I figured the less exposed it would be the less stresses as well. I realized it would also be less “comfy” but after using it I was quite happy. I’m thinking it probably has to do with my weight and having the saddle as setback as possible creating additional strain. I will probably request a refund and get a carbon seatpost from a more reputable brand. I don’t feel like taking this risk again

Either the seat post is faulty or your weight might be a factor. I ride a 27.2mm 350mm carbon seat post on an alloy gravel frame riding rough trails and rutted single track with no issues. I'm about 68-70kg so I do weigh a bit less.

Vipassana

Has anyone had luck find Oakleys on Ali? It always seemed like a game of whack-a-mole with new stores popping up but I haven't seen anything in a while and was needing a new pair of Sutros.

I've lost sight of the latest and greatest sellers as well. First 2 sets I got were excellent. Last set was awful; gave me a headache and made me nauseous after only a few minutes of wearing.  Turns out the lenses were not consistent thickness and distorted vision just enough to mess with my brain. Binned them immediately.

Would still like to see what's out there.

s3si1u

My Elita one seatpost snapped last weekend. I’ve been in contact with them and they’ve offered to either replace it or give the money back. I’ve been going back and forth on this because overall I’ve found the seatpost quite comfortable for the 5 rides I’ve used it but I’m lucky it didn’t break while I was putting down power or in a group ride. Could have resulted in a big crash. It broke where the post meets the frame, i torqued it to 4nm, used carbon paste and had no issues with sliding. It’s an aluminum frame so I’m not sure it that contributed to the issue. I’m a heavier rider (86kg) so maybe that contributed to it as well

Very sorry this happened and I'm glad the only damage was to the post and not you.
I have three Elita seatposts and love them. I've definitely used, abused and even overtorqued some of my Elitas without issue. I've actually cut mine as well, and I'm a couple kgs heavier than you. I want to say you may have gotten a dud and I hope they take care of you after this.
Instagram: @aerosloth

Wet Noodle

Not a new thing, but I didn't find anything on it here: I like the GUB 1166 cf saddle.

It's an actual full-size saddle like in the old days (roughly 280*145 mm). It's not super light, but with 160 g still ok.

I'm not a bike fitting person, but I'd say this kind of shape is quite versatile as far as use cases go (and maybe asses, too). On the one end, you can slide back, sit rather upright(ish) and have almost all the weight on you sit bones - it even has very very subtle convex bits towards the back (roughly where the rails terminate in the shell, but wider). So, you could kind of sit on it like you would on an SQLab, however, it's nowhere near as(s) painful. But you can also slide forward quite a bit or roll your hip somewhat if you want to get your upper body really low (and still have some space for you soft tissue stuff to not be crushed)  ... and, while probably not THE perfect saddle to go really low, it can still do that fine.

As with most of these cheap carbon saddles, the shell isn't too forgiving. But the padding is quite good for a semi-lightweight saddle.

I paid close to 50 bucks; should be quite a bit cheaper for non-EU countries.

I'm light on my material and have no long-term experience, so, I can't say anything about longevity.

coffeebreak

Since we don't have a sub forum for product reviews, just wanted to warn people about cheapo speed/cadence sensors from Ali-Ex. To be exact, these ones: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2261800105285991.html

They suck battery like there is no tomorrow. On average I changed batteries on them every week. But that is not the only issue. Annoyingly enough, they keep waking up Garmin Edge unit on my bike every 5-7 minutes like a clockwork. It would be working fine and then suddenly the unit will show "speed sensor found" or "cadence sensor found", this will stay for about 5-7 seconds and go. Then 5 minutes later same thing. If I had both speed and cadence sensors, the screen will blink back to back for both sensors. Crazy. The battery life of the Edge 530 dropped to half because of so much screen usage.

Then on an unrelated to cycling forum, I found that people were suggesting to use good name brand batteries with cheap sensors from China because they often use way more battery than they should and really don't work well with unbranded batteries sold in bulk on Amazon or such - which is exactly what I was using.
So taking a hint from there, I got way more expensive (relatively) Energizer CR2032 batteries to be used in these sensors. The Energizers lasted about 3 weeks before dying but didn't solve the problem of units resetting and waking up Edge device. I believed my Edge unit had issues but then last week I accidentally got a Wahoo speed sensor and put to use with no-name CR2032 from Amazon and damn straight no issues with battery life or screen waking up. It was definitely those sensors and I bought 4 of those :|

jonathanf2

Since we don't have a sub forum for product reviews, just wanted to warn people about cheapo speed/cadence sensors from Ali-Ex. To be exact, these ones: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2261800105285991.html

They suck battery like there is no tomorrow. On average I changed batteries on them every week. But that is not the only issue. Annoyingly enough, they keep waking up Garmin Edge unit on my bike every 5-7 minutes like a clockwork. It would be working fine and then suddenly the unit will show "speed sensor found" or "cadence sensor found", this will stay for about 5-7 seconds and go. Then 5 minutes later same thing. If I had both speed and cadence sensors, the screen will blink back to back for both sensors. Crazy. The battery life of the Edge 530 dropped to half because of so much screen usage.

Then on an unrelated to cycling forum, I found that people were suggesting to use good name brand batteries with cheap sensors from China because they often use way more battery than they should and really don't work well with unbranded batteries sold in bulk on Amazon or such - which is exactly what I was using.
So taking a hint from there, I got way more expensive (relatively) Energizer CR2032 batteries to be used in these sensors. The Energizers lasted about 3 weeks before dying but didn't solve the problem of units resetting and waking up Edge device. I believed my Edge unit had issues but then last week I accidentally got a Wahoo speed sensor and put to use with no-name CR2032 from Amazon and damn straight no issues with battery life or screen waking up. It was definitely those sensors and I bought 4 of those :|

I don't buy sensors from AliEx. I periodically check Amazon and every so often I find sensors being sold cheaper than AliEx prices. Also I just buy CR2032 batteries from Ikea, they seem to work well enough.

coffeebreak

I don't buy sensors from AliEx. I periodically check Amazon and every so often I find sensors being sold cheaper than AliEx prices. Also I just buy CR2032 batteries from Ikea, they seem to work well enough.

I use IKEA batteries for my camera flashes and others, total top notch stuff. I didn't know they had CR2032 too. Thanks, I will get them from there.

jonathanf2

I use IKEA batteries for my camera flashes and others, total top notch stuff. I didn't know they had CR2032 too. Thanks, I will get them from there.

Costco also sells Duracell CR2032 batteries in bulk, but I think the Ikea batteries work quite well.

sbellote

if the main idea is to warn people not to buy it, I believe it's worth mentioning the name directly, so at least it shows up on searches and such. :)
Cycplus have been investing and launching a bunch of different products but since GPLama had a lot of issues with their trainer, and few support from them (or empty promises), I honestly don't trust or wanna be near the brand.. If they cannot show support and fix their most expensive product, what kind of development effort they put on the cheap stuff?

now back to sensors, I run Xoss' speed and cadence sensor, and IGPSport HR40 chest strap for 3,5yrs now and it's all well
the Xoss sensor drains battery a bit, I get around 100h on a Panasonic CR2032, although much less than promised (300h iirc) I still find it ok
the IGPS HR40 I get bit more than 150h, also find it ok..

signal with both brands is very good, when it's faulty I know it's time for a new cr2032.. had very few issues with them, and they're approaching 1000h of use, so pretty good for a low cost product

s3si1u

I've got some of these AXS pulley wheels from JRC Components on the way. Seems like a quality product, carried by many retailers (mainly in Europe).
I got mine here in the US on Amazon for ~$60. Anyone used these before?

amazon.com/dp/B09GCGMQ94?
jrc-components.com/collections/drive-train

The pulleys came super fast, literally the next morning, so I have a few rides on them already. I didn't take any photos before installing, so you get to see them on my dirty drivetrain  ;D I got the gunmetal color. So far so good, they don't spin as freely as the stock pulleys in my hand, but they do spin more quietly. On the bike the performance is unchanged but they definitely look 10x better :) and are a quieter as well.

I also got these Stone chainrings for AXS. The 48/33 tooth count is a bit strange as stock AXS rings come in 46/33 or 48/35. I think they look really nice and they save a few grams over the stock 46/33 rings. Just installed them, will report on these later.