Author Topic: Interesting Aliexpress finds! - good deals, interesting stuff, new products etc!  (Read 146473 times)

TidyDinosaur

Not sure if this has been mentioned here before; also it's neither specifically bike-related nor regarding any one particular product, but for a week now or so I've been seeing "3+ items from US $1,99" on the ali startpage, which should actually be "from US $1,79" cause that's where it starts now (EU-pricing here). Not sure, if this geo-specific or anything.

Between a lot of bargain-bin rubble, you'll find some nice stuff for very little money with free shipping. Now, most of it goes for cheap all year round, but not necessarily under-2-bucks-shipped cheap (granted you pick at least 3 different items).  For example, they have some of those cheaper SCVCN glasses mentioned in this thread a few pages earlier (x62, 63, 64) in that price tier.

I have been seeing this for ages now... So it's not a limited time sale. Maybe it has to do with your buyer level...

Wet Noodle

PSA: Shopping in euros is cheaper than shopping in USD for this specific sale
Really? For me, the € price ali shows (1,93 ish?) is slightly above what the USD price (which is now back to 1,99) would actually convert to (1,88 ish, I think).

Wet Noodle

I have been seeing this for ages now... So it's not a limited time sale. Maybe it has to do with your buyer level...

Could be. Or it's a regional thing (some guys on another spotted that sale about the same time as me) or has to do with what version of the ali website you get served (not too long ago I got different versions depending on which machine/browser I was on, not counting mobile, which is yet another thing) or whatever

jannmayer

I've been dreaming of a lugged carbon frame for a retro style hardtail build, and then this popped up:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805568073173.html

Not exactly the same thing, but still really cool to see something so unique on AliExpress. I wonder how well the bonds will hold up? That was the week point of those old lugged carbon frames. If it was my size and cleared more than a 23mm tire, it would be tempting.

kbernstein

Really? For me, the € price ali shows (1,93 ish?) is slightly above what the USD price (which is now back to 1,99) would actually convert to (1,88 ish, I think).

They were for me. I bought brake pads, 3 tpu tubes, a pair of glasses, 2 computer mounts, 2 bottle cages for 18.91€, The USD price was 22.10USD

coffeebreak

May be not as interesting but if you are pissed (rightfully) for Canyon using an odd proprietary lower bearing (AC3748 37x48x7 45/90) for their Acros headsets on Ultimate CF bikes from past decade I finally found one on AliExpress by Fushi which seems to make a lot of bearings. Apparently this is the only one on AliX or at least I wasn't able to find others thanks to horrible search functionality. Just ordered a pair to service my 2014 CF SLX and for future use>

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256802045063170.html

Canyon wants $80 for the set - they don't sell just the lower bearing. The sellers who do sell it are all in Europe. I figured it might help someone in the USA.

coffeebreak

Thoughts on this super light, one piece $100 stem? Size 100 clocks in at 68 grams. Disaster waiting to happen?

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805838732256.html

kbernstein

Thoughts on this super light, one piece $100 stem? Size 100 clocks in at 68 grams. Disaster waiting to happen?

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805838732256.html

I think this was discussed somewhere in another thread. Someone worded it nicely, only buy if you don't value your teeth. A cheap copy of an already very fragile product can't be trustworthy. If you're that worried about weight, the classic cheap UNO stem and shaving your pubes will yield the same result for cheaper and is safer

diefobo

I know you guys hate cable hydraulic brakes with a passion, but Juin Tech just released their 6 piston calipers. Though price is a bit steep at $244 USD per caliper!

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805765658943.html

Updated: Also Juin Tech F1S calipers are now released with an updated pad adjuster on the side of the caliper:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805774969869.html

Anyone tried those calipers?

Tijoe

I am migrating away from my Jun Juin 4-piston calipers on my gravel bike and 29er hardtail I have set up as a bike packer

When they work, they work well, but I am always having problems with them.

- Rapid pad wear.  The pads wear too fast.  Then I have to start adjusting the knob to keep them stopping with full power.  Then the pistons in the cylinders are pushed out farther leading to shorter stroke.  by the time the pads are worn a bit over 1/2 way, they start losing stopping power.
- If you use them a lot of long descents, they quickly heat up, sometimes boiling the mineral oil.  Since I have to have new pads in them, the thermal expansion of the mineral oil causes the pistons to push out onto the rotor, making the problem worse.   I've had these brakes completely lock up on me numerous times.  With super hot calipers, one has to try to get them to release from the rotor in order to rotate the wheel.
-  Dirt/dust rapidly builds up on the caliper adjustment knob's threads making it very difficult to try to adjust the knob out on the road/trails.   

I liked them a lot, at first, but over time, I give them a thumbs down.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2023, 10:38:38 AM by Tijoe »

Ludo

What are you migrating to? Interesting feedback for sure

coffeebreak

I think this was discussed somewhere in another thread. Someone worded it nicely, only buy if you don't value your teeth. A cheap copy of an already very fragile product can't be trustworthy. If you're that worried about weight, the classic cheap UNO stem and shaving your pubes will yield the same result for cheaper and is safer

That is a good summary. It's lighter than Schmolke stem even. Scary!

jonathanf2

Anyone tried those calipers?

Juin Tech pricing is way too high to justify these new calipers. You can buy Shimano, LTwoo and Sensah hydraulic shifters+calipers much cheaper nowadays.

Though I'm still using the original Juin Tech F1 calipers on my road bike, paired with finned brake pads and lightweight Onirii disc rotors. They work fine for the road climbs/descents I do. I don't use these for gravel or dirt. Also I have a pair of Ultegra hydraulic shifters ready to install, I just haven't gotten around to it.

Tijoe

What are you migrating to? Interesting feedback for sure

Since the Jun Juins cable/hydraulic calipers were being used on my gravel bike and my Hardtail 29er set-up as a Bikepacker with gravel bars, I needed braking that would work with standard STI levers on road bar diameters of 23.8mm.   Then I discovered 'H" bars, that are 22.2 OD (Flat mtn. bike bar diameter)

For my needs, I found that carbon "H" bars work well for me on my 29er hardtail, so I was able to fit/install regular mtn. bike hydraulic brakes.  Then I installed the Wheel Top EDS electric derailleur with its 22.2mm ID shift pod and have a nice system on my 29er Hardtail that works really well as a gravel bike. 

I have been gathering parts for converting my gravel bike to "H" bars, get rid of the Jun Juin hybrid brakes and go use mtb. components and another EDS rear derailleur