Author Topic: Curious what build weights people are averaging on their bikes?  (Read 1613 times)

jonathanf2

Curious what build weights people are averaging on their bikes?
« on: October 12, 2022, 01:34:56 PM »
I'm curious what kind of final build weights people are averaging on their Chinese frames? I understand there are a number of factors such as rim brakes vs disc brakes, mechanical vs electronic, aero vs climbing frames, etc. Also I know you can throw more money at making a lightweight bike, but I do find lightweight bikes built within a reasonable budget to be more satisfying. I doubt many of us would be on here if we could all buy an Aethos S-Works with Di2!

I've gotten my latest build down to 16.22lbs. (7.35kg) with 105 mechanical drivetrain +  disc brakes and I'm pretty satisfied with that weight as my general purpose road bike (flats, climbing, group rides). My alloy gravel bike with 2x GRX + hydraulic brakes is about 21lbs. (9.5kg), but I don't have a problem riding that bike even if weighs more.

Anyways, I'm interested to hear how light or heavy your bike build is!

carbonazza

Re: Curious what build weights people are averaging on their bikes?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2022, 02:38:41 PM »
The frame is a small part of the weight.
Every gram you can save on components and wheels is what makes it light.

My CFR505(gravel) AXS Force/XX1 mullet was 200g lighter than my Canyon Ultimate CF-SLX with SRAM red at 7.1kg

tc2wheel

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2022, 09:59:42 AM »
I didn't build my Chinese carbon frames/bikes with particularly lightweight components, but I think they turned out pretty light in comparison to my other road bikes.
2018 Chinese S5 replica 17.4 lb.

2017 Chinese Aero frame 18.45 lb

2018 Chinese carbon TT bike 22.6 lb.   

Though not Chinese made, these are my other road bikes for weight comparison.
2001 Litespeed Ultimate  19.16 lb 

2016 Lynskey R240   21.0 lb.   
« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 09:32:59 AM by tc2wheel »

jonathanf2

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2022, 11:49:31 AM »
I didn't build my Chinese carbon frames/bikes with particularly lightweight components, but I think they turned out pretty light in comparison to my other road bikes.

Nice collection! Building the bikes out are quite a bit of fun. Also I know weight isn't everything, but it's nice to get a baseline idea on weight since I don't really follow the road cycling scene all that much and I'm mostly a solo rider. I notice you have the same brand wheelset on all your bikes I'm presuming, just curious which brand you're using?

tc2wheel

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2022, 12:48:03 PM »
I notice you have the same brand wheelset on all your bikes I'm presuming, just curious which brand you're using?

I bought those wheels over 5 or 6 years ago from eBay, seller cannot be found anymore, I think I paid less than $400 for those wheels with free shipping to USA.
25mm width carbon rims with dimples, some generic hubs, bladed spokes; rock solid wheels for me at 175 lb. I think I have at least 3k miles on them, still round & true.

Takiyaki

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2022, 08:16:02 PM »
2018 Chinese S5 replica 17.4 lb.

Man I have been looking for a decent S5 "inspired" frame for a while... what is the make and model?

Here is my build. FM208. I got it down to 6kg/13.2lb with a carbon saddle, 1x drivetrain, tubular wheelset + Tufo S3s. Was awful to ride and slow though, so I put my padded saddle back on, went back to 2x and got some aero wheels + GP5Ks. Glides like a dream now.

WW spec:

Current spec:

tc2wheel

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2022, 01:36:33 PM »
Man I have been looking for a decent S5 "inspired" frame for a while... what is the make and model?

I bought the frameset on eBay back in 2018, it was under $500 with free shipping.
I don't think the seller is still on eBay anymore.
Seller originally sent me the wrong size frame, I had to file a dispute with my credit card company to get my money back and kept the frame for free.
I built up the smaller frame and test rode it, it was just too small for me, so I sold it to my neighbor for cheap, it was a good fit for him.

Replacement frame was purchased at significant discount for the mistake of wrong sized frame.
It fit me much better:

s3si1u

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2022, 04:54:02 PM »
My Velobuild 177 is sitting at 7.6 ish kg with everything on it. Running SRAM Red, thick 25mm ID Superteam wheels, 29mm Enve tires. I have some Farsports Kaze wheels and The One Pro handlebar on the way, so I may be able to drop a couple grams soon  :P

My Poseidon X gravel bike was never weighed, but she's a heavy one. A ton of mods on this one (fork, wheels, group, cockpit, etc), but it never felt any lighter.  ;D This one is getting pieced out and sold, so the world may never know.
Instagram: @aerosloth

patliean1

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2022, 05:17:07 PM »
7.4 kg

VB 177 + FarSports Ventoux S

jonathanf2

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2022, 11:50:02 PM »
My Velobuild 177 is sitting at 7.6 ish kg with everything on it. Running SRAM Red, thick 25mm ID Superteam wheels, 29mm Enve tires. I have some Farsports Kaze wheels and The One Pro handlebar on the way, so I may be able to drop a couple grams soon  :P

My Poseidon X gravel bike was never weighed, but she's a heavy one. A ton of mods on this one (fork, wheels, group, cockpit, etc), but it never felt any lighter.  ;D This one is getting pieced out and sold, so the world may never know.

Are you getting a carbon gravel frameset? I also have a built up Poseidon X which comes in around 9.4kg, but that's with a hefty 2x GRX crankset and hydraulic calipers/shift levers. GRX hydraulic mechanical shifters are heavy coming in at about 600g.

s3si1u

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2022, 12:16:47 AM »
Are you getting a carbon gravel frameset? I also have a built up Poseidon X which comes in around 9.4kg, but that's with a hefty 2x GRX crankset and hydraulic calipers/shift levers. GRX hydraulic mechanical shifters are heavy coming in at about 600g.

I'm thinking about it  :) but I also want a Seka Exceed.  As much as I like having a gravel bike around, I don't really ride much gravel and it just becomes a fat tire road bike.

It was built up with a Rival 1x groupset with an 11-50 cassette so we're likely not far off in weight, what size is yours?
Here's a quick shot of the frame!
If anyone is looking for an alloy gravel frame, let me know  :D
Instagram: @aerosloth

jonathanf2

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2022, 08:43:42 AM »
I'm thinking about it  :) but I also want a Seka Exceed.  As much as I like having a gravel bike around, I don't really ride much gravel and it just becomes a fat tire road bike.

It was built up with a Rival 1x groupset with an 11-50 cassette so we're likely not far off in weight, what size is yours?
Here's a quick shot of the frame!
If anyone is looking for an alloy gravel frame, let me know  :D

Mine is a small (52cm). I keep a gravel bike around because I ride some off-road trails, but I don't feel the need for a MTB. Here's mine built up with GRX 400/600 10/11 speed components + 105 RD.

Sebastian

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2022, 11:27:28 AM »
Here’s my heavy duty do-it-all bike.
Custom steel frame - Columbus Life Tubing. Made by Jacek Orlowski who used to build the Polish National team’s track bikes at the Szczecin velodrome.
He also did the custom paint job.
Fork is Carbonda. Handlebar and seatpost are from Aliexpress. (Elita One and OG Evkin).
The wheels I built myself.
Asymmetric Carbon hookless rims built with Sapim CX Rays and Novatec hubs. 32 spokes front and back. Weight: A touch above 1400g.
Groupset is SRAM Rival with TRP Spyres. Sram Red Cranks. Sorry for the pic from the wrong side.

It’s a lovely ride. I use it for gravel, commuting (as pictured) and loaded bikepacking.

Weight as pictured: 9.6kg - not including the rack and bag.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2022, 11:33:13 AM by Sebastian »