Author Topic: Surly coner bar equivalent  (Read 707 times)

Nicoloc

Surly coner bar equivalent
« on: October 27, 2022, 09:33:42 AM »
Hi all
I've seen on youtube soem guys doing some nice transformation of MTD to gravel bike using Surly's coner bar.
i've been looking here and there but wasn't able to fin an affordable alternative to the expensive surly.
The only ones i found where either carbon one and thus expensive either not sold to france (only philipines via Shopee).
Any idea, any deals i may have missed?
Thanks for your inputs.
Nicoloc

s3si1u

Re: Surly coner bar equivalent
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2022, 11:40:00 AM »
I know there's a carbon version of it on Aliexpress for like $80. Not too expensive (assuming the quality is good) considering it's carbon+a niche product. Maybe there's an alloy one too.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 11:42:02 AM by s3si1u »
Instagram: @aerosloth

s3si1u

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2022, 11:43:47 AM »
I know there's a carbon version of it on Aliexpress for like $80. Not too expensive (assuming the quality is good) considering it's carbon+a niche product. Maybe there's an alloy one too.

Found this: http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,3737.msg37295.html#msg37295

Nicoloc

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2022, 01:16:01 PM »
hi guys ,
I've seen those products, but carbon version are to expensive for a fun trial :)
there is an alloy version, but still around the 80€ including shipping cost.
looks like there are not that much option on ali and that the kanto version is only available in philipines ...
too bad .
Nicoloc

mirphak

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2023, 02:58:39 AM »
I have both the standard and the integrated stem ones. The latter I don't like that much because of the weird angles (very negative stem and then very vertical drops. Design mistake imho). The normal zniino one I have been using for 7 months in my 29er and it works very well.

carbonazza

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2023, 01:15:52 AM »
I have both the standard and the integrated stem ones. The latter I don't like that much because of the weird angles (very negative stem and then very vertical drops. Design mistake imho). The normal zniino one I have been using for 7 months in my 29er and it works very well.

I never considered this kind of bar, but looking at your bike, for long distances this is something I would want to try.
Where do you get the grips?

This is the Teide! Right? 8)
Are all tracks around the Teide more for a 29er or a gravel could do it?
I come often, and hesitated to take my gravel instead of road last December.

mirphak

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2023, 09:54:14 AM »
Most 'bike-allowed' forest and mountain paths are perfectly rideable with a gravel bike there. I am eager to have mine rebuilt (a car runover trashed it one year ago).

Grips are normal ESI grips. I had to add two small pieces at the end since they are the standar/short ones. I think ESI made a longer version, but it is hard to fine and expensive.