Author Topic: Cyclami TPU tubes - more TPU tube options!  (Read 5742 times)

jonathanf2

Cyclami TPU tubes - more TPU tube options!
« on: October 30, 2022, 04:09:13 PM »
I just found these on Ali:

Updated the link with better pricing:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804682104591.html

The claimed weight is 38g, which is a tad more than RideNow TPU tubes. From the looks of it, the Cyclami TPU tubes utilize what appears to be a threaded alloy valve stem which should be more durable. RideNow TPU tubes utilize plastic valve stems and I've had issues with air leakage (I received a replacement). Anyways good to see more options coming out of AliExpress.

If they perform as well as the RideNow tubes, these should be quite good. Sometimes I feel more cutting edge than my cycling buddies who have no clue there's a whole other world of cycling options available!  :D
« Last Edit: November 01, 2022, 09:26:20 AM by jonathanf2 »

Nicoloc

Re: Cyclami TPU tubes - more TPU tube options!
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2022, 01:17:22 PM »
Looks intersting
do you have any experience with the tubolito or ride now tubes?
how do they perform against puncture?
do they hold pressure well ?
i've read mixed feedback on various forum so i havent pulled the trigger yet....

jonathanf2

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2022, 12:34:18 AM »
Looks intersting
i've read mixed feedback on various forum so i havent pulled the trigger yet....

I'm running 25c tires with the RideNow TPU tubes and pump them up to around 90-100 psi. They hold air far better than latex tubes, though I still pump them before every ride just to have optimal pressure. Puncture resistance has been quite good so far. I even had a sidewall tire cut and you could see the tube inside the tire, but no puncture. I don't have any experience with Tubolitos.

Honestly I was planning to go all tubeless since I'm already tubeless on my gravel bike, but these RideNow TPU tubes have a significant weight advantage with lightweight clincher tires. I also feel the ride quality is quite decent.

Sebastian

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2022, 04:26:30 AM »
Thanks for the tip! I was hesitant about the RideNow TPU tubes exactly because of the plastic valve and because of multiple customer reviews complaining about leakage.

These look better so i ordered a pair. I'm currently running Vittoria latex inner tubes at 80g a piece. It'll be interesting how these fare against them particularly when it comes to ride feel.
At the very least, these will be great to take with me in my saddle bag should I puncture on the road.

kbike

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2022, 08:36:02 AM »
I've had 3 ride now tubes with leaks I can't find and gave up til snowed in day. 
I've had 3 tubes with patches and still use them. They are Not hard to fix with repair kit.

I've had 1 puncture from glass.  2 other tubes were tiny holes I had to find with a bucket of water. I haven't had pinch flats yet.

I just bought these new green tubes. I like to see the threaded stems. Haven't liked the glued on valves to plastic stems from ridenow.  Will see how they handle.  I don't see a patch kit yet. I hope the kit from ridenow will glue to the green tubes if they leak.

Serge_K

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2022, 09:04:44 AM »
I'm running 25c tires with the RideNow TPU tubes and pump them up to around 90-100 psi. They hold air far better than latex tubes, though I still pump them before every ride just to have optimal pressure. Puncture resistance has been quite good so far. I even had a sidewall tire cut and you could see the tube inside the tire, but no puncture. I don't have any experience with Tubolitos.

Honestly I was planning to go all tubeless since I'm already tubeless on my gravel bike, but these RideNow TPU tubes have a significant weight advantage with lightweight clincher tires. I also feel the ride quality is quite decent.

can I ask why you run these over latex tubes, given you pump up every ride, as latex has lower rolling resistance. is it weight? I'm thinking of buying a couple to carry as a puncture kit because they re so tiny, but i've been very pleased with latex. My stats show i'm faster with GP500 + latex, all else equal.

jonathanf2

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2022, 09:14:58 AM »
can I ask why you run these over latex tubes, given you pump up every ride, as latex has lower rolling resistance. is it weight? I'm thinking of buying a couple to carry as a puncture kit because they re so tiny, but i've been very pleased with latex. My stats show i'm faster with GP500 + latex, all else equal.

I still pump my tubeless tires before every ride as well. Also I focus mainly on climbing, so I'm more concerned about weight. Also as a spare, you can pack 2 TPU tubes and they still weigh less than butyl or latex tubes.

Sebastian

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2022, 10:03:52 AM »
I've had 3 ride now tubes with leaks I can't find and gave up til snowed in day. 
I've had 3 tubes with patches and still use them. They are Not hard to fix with repair kit.

I've had 1 puncture from glass.  2 other tubes were tiny holes I had to find with a bucket of water. I haven't had pinch flats yet.

I just bought these new green tubes. I like to see the threaded stems. Haven't liked the glued on valves to plastic stems from ridenow.  Will see how they handle.  I don't see a patch kit yet. I hope the kit from ridenow will glue to the green tubes if they leak.

In the link that the OP posted, there's also the option to buy the green TPU tubes with a patch kit. I ordered a pair in including patches.

hazzer19

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2022, 03:51:29 PM »
Looks intersting

I've been ridding two RideNow tubes on the road now and compared to a Tubolito I also started riding recently, the RideNow tubes don't have as good puncture protection (I've patched the two RideNow tubes and one Tubolito many times now).

You can also feel that the RideNow tubes are thinner than the Tubolito ones which makes them lighter. Bought a grave RideNow tube as well which I've been carrying as a spare. Love how light weight the RideNow tubes are and the price compared to other TPU mainstream brand tubes.

Curious to try this new brand.

jonathanf2

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2022, 09:03:16 AM »
I received my Cyclami order of 4 tubes. I wasn't planning to install a tube right away, but the same day they arrived I also ran over a big rusty nail! So it gave me an excuse to try one out. Anyways first impressions is that it's a bit more sturdier built than the RideNow TPU tubes. The rubber base attaching the valve to the tube is a much winder oval shape, the RideNow tube rubber base is circular and smaller. Also on my 50mm depth wheels, the presta valve head barely peeks out at a length of 60mm, RideNow valve are 65mm. My major disappointment is that the presta valve is non-removable! So if you were to damage the nozzle, the whole tube is a goner! Not sure if it's a weight issue or what since they're using an alloy valve. Besides that issue, the overall tube looks more robust. I'll report back on ride performance, but I'm guessing it'll be similar to the RideNow tube.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2022, 12:08:39 PM by jonathanf2 »

kbike

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2022, 11:43:34 AM »
Thanks for update.  Have some coming too.  It sucks the valve isn't removable but I really wouldn't try it with the ridenow plastic a stems.  At least it's one less failure point.  Hope the oval area helps stop leaks and prevents the stem from tearing off.  Really don't plan to use these til late spring time.

jonathanf2

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2022, 12:17:28 PM »
Thanks for update.  Have some coming too.  It sucks the valve isn't removable but I really wouldn't try it with the ridenow plastic a stems.  At least it's one less failure point.  Hope the oval area helps stop leaks and prevents the stem from tearing off.  Really don't plan to use these til late spring time.

Generally I prefer tubeless, but for my lightweight climbing wheels, I prefer using TPU tubes with clinchers. It's a bit of trade off regarding the non-removable valve. On the RideNow tubes, it's actually possible to over thread and damage the plastic stem. The Cyclami tubes opt for robustness, but without the option to remove the core. The problem though with the Cyclami besides breaking the nozzle is that you can't use an extender valve if you plan to run anything deeper than 50mm depth wheels. At 50mm depth you're at the very limit.

If I had to pick between the two brands, the Cyclami tubes appear to be the better value. It fixes the flaws of the RideNow tubes, though with caveats.

kbike

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2022, 01:26:24 PM »
You can still use extenders on these tubes. You just leave the valve unscrewed put the correct extender on and pump up. Having an extender on this way makes it harder to get exact psi.  What happens is the pressure while pumping opens the valve then closes after pumping. This will even work with minipumps.

I take off my extender after inflating and tighten the valve  because the stem barely sits outside my rims. If the stem is hidden you have to leave extender on and valve unscrewed.

carbonazza

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2022, 04:10:51 PM »
Generally I prefer tubeless, but for my lightweight climbing wheels, I prefer using TPU tubes with clinchers...
That is intriguing, climbing means descending too... is it to save weight or is it something else ?
I would never go back to rim brakes for high speed descents in the mountains.

jonathanf2

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2022, 03:31:55 PM »
That is intriguing, climbing means descending too... is it to save weight or is it something else ?
I would never go back to rim brakes for high speed descents in the mountains.

I ride disc brakes on all my bikes in order to keep wheel swapping simple. TPU tubes + lightweight clinchers still weigh less than a lightweight tubeless setup and I just like the feel of uphill acceleration. My other bike build I'm running tubeless road slicks and my gravel bike is tubeless as well, so I definitely lean tubeless for most everything else.

BTW - It's still recommended that you setup your wheels with tubeless tape with these TPU tubes. Which I don't mind, because the wheels will be ready if I do swap to tubeless tires.