Author Topic: Frame pricing as a guide of quality  (Read 1878 times)

slow_poke11

Frame pricing as a guide of quality
« on: November 14, 2022, 07:10:45 PM »
I've been looking at a lot of frames. I'm clear about my requirements so I have a short-list and it just comes down to quality and getting the best frame for the money. 

All I have to go on is reviews and feedback as to the quality.  However, when shopping around there is definitely a price difference.  For example, if I look at pricing it looks like this, from most expensive to least expensive (taking into account shipping costs):

Winspace - T1500
Elves - Falath
ICAN/Triaero - A9
Carbonda - CFR 1056 (more of an endurance frame, I know, but their race bike only has 25mm tyre clearance, and I'd switch to endurance if the frame quality was better than others)
TanTan - X21
Dengfu - R12
Velobuild - VB-R-168

Now leaning towards the ICAN, thinking that by spending a bit more I'll get a better frame than the three below it.  What are your thoughts on using price as a guide of quality.

jannmayer

Re: Frame pricing as a guide of quality
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2022, 07:39:46 PM »

What do you define as "quality"? Is a heavier frame with a simple layup lower quality than a lighter frame with more complex layup and compliance designed in? The first is probably cheaper to produce but could easily be a more solid and reliable choice. Or are you concerned with how well the frame is finished?

I don't know that there will be a very strong correlation between whatever is used to define "quality" and price. Since there isn't a very good way for us to determine the quality before buying, a lot of it relies on our perception of quality, and that is much less accurate.

I think most vendors are ultimately charging as much as they think they can get, and this might not have much to do with the end experience for the purchaser.

Not to say that there aren't quality differences between those vendors (and even between frames for each vendor) but I don't think there's any better way to determine that than by reading through the posts here and attempting to account for how popular each frame is.

slow_poke11

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2022, 10:09:11 PM »
What do you define as "quality"? Is a heavier frame with a simple layup lower quality than a lighter frame with more complex layup and compliance designed in? The first is probably cheaper to produce but could easily be a more solid and reliable choice. Or are you concerned with how well the frame is finished?

I don't know that there will be a very strong correlation between whatever is used to define "quality" and price. Since there isn't a very good way for us to determine the quality before buying, a lot of it relies on our perception of quality, and that is much less accurate.

I think most vendors are ultimately charging as much as they think they can get, and this might not have much to do with the end experience for the purchaser.

Not to say that there aren't quality differences between those vendors (and even between frames for each vendor) but I don't think there's any better way to determine that than by reading through the posts here and attempting to account for how popular each frame is.

For me it's the latter example.  You want lateral stiffness for efficient power transfer, but you also want vertical compliance for comfort and handling.  Yes, you can get a very stiff bike that's more reliable, but you get to a point where it's so stiff you might as well get an alloy frame.

Quality of materials contributes to this factor. The grade of carbon (in the right places) and the quality of the resin, will affect weight and provide a better balance between lateral stiffness and vertical compliance.

Quality of workmanship too. If the carbon layers are not laid well, regardless of the quality of carbon and resin, the benefits of the more expensive materials get diluted.

In terms of the finish, yes, aesthetics matter, but it's probably bottom of the list for me.

I honestly have been reading the threads.  They have been very helpful, and expect that when I eventually settle on a choice, they will be even more helpful in the build process.  However, they haven't answered this question for me, so I was curious as to the views of others on this.

To be honest, just when I think I've arrived at a choice, something throws a spanner in the works.  An example: The ICAN A9 ticks a lot of boxes and the A9 thread on this forum suggests most people seem happy with it. The ICAN website also shows that it is a UCI approved frame. However, I've checked the latest UCI approved frames list and I can't see it there under ICAN or Triaero. It could therefore be that this is untrue or it could be that it is true but there is some delay in it being added to the list.  There is also one person whose fork had an extra hole in it that had been filled. On querying they were told by ICAN this was normal. There is also a road.cc review that gives a set of ICAN wheels a 3/10 largely due to flex, which makes me wonder about their frames.  Even though I've used ICAN as an example, when I research other frames, the issues might be different but the pattern is the same in terms of conflicting signals.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 10:42:52 PM by slow_poke11 »

jokage

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2022, 03:02:03 AM »
Please check Cam Nicholls' video on YouTube about how how brought a Trifox and an Elves frames to the experts and let those experts inspect those frames.

youtube.com/watch?v=jzAghikGHzo

« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 03:05:24 AM by jokage »

slow_poke11

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2022, 04:40:52 AM »
Please check Cam Nicholls' video on YouTube about how how brought a Trifox and an Elves frames to the experts and let those experts inspect those frames.

Funnily enough. I've watched that video before and I trust Elves. What struck me about it was that he said the Trifox was made by someone who that didn't take pride in their work while the Elves was made by someone who did.

There is also an Elves frame dealer in NZ, although they only stock the 2021 frames (unlike Australia which has the 2022 versions). 

The price of an Elves here is NZD $1,650 with free delivery (handlebars not included). 
ICAN A9 would come in at NZD $1,600 inc delivery and integrated handlebars.
Velobuild would come in at around NZD $1,050 inc delivery and integrated handlebars - which is significantly cheaper.

While I wasn't surprised the Trifox was not rated as well, what I'd really be interested in is how the Elves would compare to an unbranded frame from one of the companies below it in my list.

Velovelo

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2022, 07:18:49 AM »
As you have seen through out the forum, people with similar frames may have different experience / feedback.
Like I mentioned the seatpost issue I had with the 177. A few people never had such issue.  I've also read in the forum of people complaining of slipping seatpost on the 168 but some others are fine. Same with different feedback on the A9 and ICAN.

I am loving the LTK268-D / 099 /TT-X21 / Dolan-Ares frame. But someone here got theirs with pretty poor finishing etc. Looks like these dealers get the frame from similar factory. (This frame is actually a joy to ride when all is good).

The pattern with these frames is clear. When you pull the trigger you just wait and hope for the best.
What you receive in the mail is really what you get. You can't ship back to china (expensive).

Using price as a guide of quality won't matter if the dealers are not consistent with the finish quality of frames they ship out.

So just go with the geometry you love the most, that has lesser negative feedback within the forum and has the best pricing around your budget.

From your list above, the Winspace T1500 is probably the only frame you could get with relative peace of mind given it is a "Branded" frame.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 07:54:46 AM by Velovelo »

RDY

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2022, 09:39:47 AM »

IMO Elves are excellent ... though their largest sizes typically conform to a 56 rather than the 58/59 they advertise them at, so they don't have anything for me.

Watching that video makes me cringe though.  That ham fisted mechanic cam uses using massive force to pull apart the rear triangle to 'test its stiffness' ... you couldn't pay me enough money to ride a frame that had that done to it.

Serge_K

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2022, 10:29:23 AM »
People vote with their feet, or with their money. I'm about to buy several VB frames.
Just like the future of twitter is some vetting system so that the irrelevant voices are drowned out, we would ideally get people's views weighted by the number of miles they've ridden, over how many years, the watts/kg they can do, and the bikes they've ridden. Just because you dont get medical advice from your hairdresser and vice versa.

Everybody wants a stiff yet comfortable frame, but who can actually tell the difference? How many times is the difference actually due to one bike fitting better, a different wheeslet, different tyres, different tyre pressure? Or pure subjectivity of the rider, like day 1 is sunny and you're fresh, day 2 it's cold and you're tired. Do you think your riding experience with the same bike will be the same?

I have a giant propel with farsports rims & sapim spokes. And a cannondale supersix himod with campag bora wheels. I can tell you i get wheel rub out of the saddle sometimes on the giant. I don't think i do on the cannondale, but i never ride them side by side on the same routes. And i wouldn't know which one is stiffer, and if it told you, that opinion would only be worth something if i had isolated all variables but the frame. I'd have to change the wheels, the bars, even the crankset. Needless to say, i'm never doing that. Is a frame that flexes actually flexes, or do you have the wrong bottom bracket, crank, bars, wheels, tyres, or pressure?

Then there's the question of "good enough". A given frame might be better, but if it costs double (or 8x more) and you can only tell the difference by riding 1 right after the other in a strict experiment, then most of the bike riding population should be perfectly happy with the cheaper one.

Then there's the question of status. People like to flex. I have friends who literally take pride from paying full retail price for stuff. For them paying top dollar with sticker shock is a badge of honour. With behaviours like that, you have the luxury industry, like Pinarello.

Anyway.

On relative value between brands you listed, Velobuild, as far as i can tell, sells quite a few more bikes than most competitors. Business wise, that could justify their lower price point. From YT & forum content, it is not clear to me that a dengfu or a carbonda is automatically better. And Winspace and Elves probably have better finish and QC, but if you get one of the VB that does NOT have problems, is it really a better bike in a way you can measure? If you get a poorly finished VB one, it seems that people get frustrated for a bit, then the problem gets fixed. I guess the more you pay the less you should expect to get your hands dirty. Some people like that, others don't.

It also seems clear to me that the VB177 is better made than the 168: it seems VB (or SPcycle, rather) is getting better over time.

Winspace is paying youtubers a lot, their marketing budget overall seems quite important. Someone has to pay for that. They're like Farsports, in a way, their pricing has gone up a LOT in recent years because they're marketing themselves, successfully, as a legit brand, not just an OEM.

Blablabla. Back to my starting point: voting with my money, I'm about to buy several VB frames. Maybe i'm mistaken, wish me luck :)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 01:42:32 AM by Serge_K »

patliean1

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2022, 12:28:17 PM »
If you are:

-Relatively fit
-Not racing competitively or regularly engaging in fast group rides
-Don't require some extreme frame geometry/bike fit
-Can manage your expectations by way doing your due diligence
-Understands the limitations (or lack of) sales support (pre/during/post)
-Adequate at building and troubleshooting bikes without being handheld every step of the way

Then you really don't need a frame costing more than $500-$700 USD. This is assuming you win the "Chinese Frame Lottery", meaning no frame/component defects and you receive all the required hardware upon delivery.

Plenty of reasons why someone would choose Winspace over VeloBuild and vice versa. Neither are wrong.

slow_poke11

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2022, 01:41:55 PM »
Thanks all. That all makes sense and has really helped.  Hopefully my next post will be to say which frame I've ordered! Thanks again!

slow_poke11

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2022, 03:52:13 PM »
So, I've pulled the trigger on a frame.

I feel I've let you guys down, but I've gone with a Winspace T1500 on a black friday deal for US $1k (no handlebars). Ponied up an extra $100 for UPS delivery too. I'll get hit with 15% tax on top by customs too.

https://www.winspace.cc/product/t1500-frameset/ Went for gunmetal.

Only the XL (my size) was on offer, so I thought it was a safer bet. Even though I could have got as good or better frame for less, I decided it was a good compromise.

105 r7020 groupset is coming from Merlin Cycles. They have some good deals at the moment, especially on the r7000 105 rim brake option if anyone is wanting that? (sorry, just checked this again and they changed the deal on that from 50% off to 34% off)

https://www.merlincycles.com/groupsets-93716/
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 04:24:40 PM by slow_poke11 »

jonathanf2

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2022, 05:08:28 PM »
My dirt cheap AliEx road frame isn't the most prettiest, but everything fits/works just fine and I've been setting new Strava PRs with the bike as well. I'm beating guys on the climbs and sprints with bikes 3-5 times more expensive than my bike. I also ride with cyclists on fixed gear who put to shame the weekend coffee roadies. Plus if I crash I won't cry about it. I'll just salvage the parts and build something new.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 05:16:01 PM by jonathanf2 »

slow_poke11

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2022, 07:43:12 PM »
My dirt cheap AliEx road frame isn't the most prettiest, but everything fits/works just fine and I've been setting new Strava PRs with the bike as well. I'm beating guys on the climbs and sprints with bikes 3-5 times more expensive than my bike. I also ride with cyclists on fixed gear who put to shame the weekend coffee roadies. Plus if I crash I won't cry about it. I'll just salvage the parts and build something new.

Harsh but fair.

Like I said, I didn't think my choice would be met with approval. I'm super excited though! :)

« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 03:51:10 AM by slow_poke11 »

RDY

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2022, 04:37:05 AM »

I feel I've let you guys down, but I've gone with a Winspace T1500 on a black friday deal for US $1k (no handlebars). Ponied up an extra $100 for UPS delivery too. I'll get hit with 15% tax on top by customs too.

Only the XL (my size) was on offer, so I thought it was a safer bet. Even though I could have got as good or better frame for less, I decided it was a good compromise.

105 r7020 groupset is coming from Merlin Cycles. They have some good deals at the moment, especially on the r7000 105 rim brake option if anyone is wanting that? (sorry, just checked this again and they changed the deal on that from 50% off to 34% off)

I think it's a good decision.  At that sale price it's fairly close to what you'd pay for the Speeder (unbranded) equivalent, but with additional support.  It'll undoubtedly be better build quality than most of the other stuff on the list - Elves are great, Carbonda are good and DengFu can be ... but the rest can be described as 'variable'.  Though that does not mean it's guaranteed to be free of problems - I feel the headset issue on the Winspace bike Hambini recently reviewed was either underestimated or downplayed by him (possibly because he usually doesn't ride disc brake bikes and isn't necessarily as cognizant of the ramifications).

On that note, my VB-099 will forever be an indoor trainer bike ... the lower headset bearing moves a tiny bit under braking, due to the badly machined bearing seat, and the 'shunting' / concertina effect when braking this causes is made worse by the fact that the fork is the least laterally stiff carbon disc brake fork I've ever encountered.  Plus, knock test is iffy - but really that's just the icing on the cake - I'd get it ultra-sounded if there weren't other issues.  It's *probably* not seriously dangerous, but it inspires no confidence, is crap, and I don't want to ride it.  The headset issue is a super common problem on VBs, from my observation, but very rare on Speeder / WS.  But frankly, even if the headset was fine, I probably wouldn't ride it, as the fork is so noodly.  I don't want that horrible feeling when braking heavily down a steep descent.  And I don't think the fork is 'defective', as I've since found other VBs with very flexy forks - note I mean the fork legs themselves - not the steerer or crown.  I think the layup's just crap.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 04:50:27 AM by RDY »

Glen

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2022, 07:40:36 AM »

Hi,

The website seems to be based in the UK... Is that the site you ordered from and they send to Nz? Thank you!