Author Topic: EDS electronic rear Derailleur  (Read 4002 times)

Tijoe

EDS electronic rear Derailleur
« on: November 21, 2022, 04:53:57 PM »
Somewhere in the recent past, I saw a discussion on the EDS Chinese 12 speed system.   I can't remember it it was on this forum or on MTBR forum.

Has anyone been using this system and have actual experience on their bike?
It appears that since last year, the price has gone up to $420 versus $365 when it was first reviewed on You Tube.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804360237289.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.32fb52c0wRIHuR&algo_pvid=f2a3b164-2de5-4d1b-922b-1a1ed1659a47&algo_exp_id=f2a3b164-2de5-4d1b-922b-1a1ed1659a47-33&pdp_ext_f=%7B%22sku_id%22%3A%2212000029561355023%22%7D&pdp_npi=2%40dis%21USD%21559.99%21419.99%21%21%21%21%21%402101fd4b16690709560357586eb6da%2112000029561355023%21sea&curPageLogUid=nGxn4S9lgFSt

nicklej

Re: EDS electronic rear Derailleur
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2023, 02:00:20 AM »
You can only get these via their Candian reseller (EZBike) who have stock because they are unable to keep selling these right now I believe due to patent infringement. I'm tempted by this and had my eye on it for ages because I really like that I can change the number of gears it can be used for, which is a really good and sensible feature!

Tijoe

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2023, 11:56:39 AM »
You can only get these via their Candian reseller (EZBike) who have stock because they are unable to keep selling these right now I believe due to patent infringement. I'm tempted by this and had my eye on it for ages because I really like that I can change the number of gears it can be used for, which is a really good and sensible feature!

We, "the public" really don't know why Wheel Top wont/can't sell their EDS in certain regions around the world.  We just "assume" that is is a patent infringement by Wheel Top due to a removable battery.   Readily available information on the internet supports this is because the latest version or the EDS that Wheel Top is selling has a fixed battery mounted to the derailleur that uses a magnetic charge cable.   A few images of an E-bike version where the derailleur is operated off of the E-bike battery has been designed.  
If you really want one, order one from Aliexpress.  There are 3 or 4 sellers selling the new version.  Usually priced at around $375 to $450 USD.   I have 4 of the original EDS sets that were all purchased through Aliexpress.   I have 3 of them installed on 1 X 12 bikes.   To date, I have over 2K miles on one of them, and a few hundred miles each on the other 2 bikes.

On one lesser ridden bike, recently, I somehow had the chain bounce off of the lowest cog and into the gap between the spokes.  After this happened, I have been fighting a clicking sound in a few of the gears where the chain is slightly touching the next lower gear.   I think that the the chain incident must have slightly bent/tweeked the cage assembly. This could be one weakness of such a precision shifting design. 

carbonazza

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2023, 03:26:54 PM »
...I have been fighting a clicking sound in a few of the gears where the chain is slightly touching the next lower gear...

You could have this if your chainline is boost and shouldn't, or vice versa.
Putting the chain to another angle than expected.
And causing a chain rub.

Tijoe

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2023, 09:14:10 PM »
You could have this if your chainline is boost and shouldn't, or vice versa.
Putting the chain to another angle than expected.
And causing a chain rub.
It was very well adjusted, shifted crisply, almost too quite, other than the "zoot" sound of the servo/motor every time it shifted for the first 230 miles.  Then the chain went off the lowest cog into the spokes and it started the clicking. 

One of the issues I saw while pulling the chain out of the gap is that once the load comes off the chain, the cage has a strong spring load that pulls/jams the upper pulley directly into the lowest 50 tooth cog.  Since I was climbing up a fairly steep hill, under power, when the chain came off, the cage was pulled, while under load. into the cassette.  I suspect that this jamming of the pulley onto the 50 tooth cog, slightly bent the cage out of an exact straight alignment.   (I have had similar problems on my XT 12 speed derailleur in the past and spent a lot of time "fine tuning" bending, the cage back into the perfect position.)

mirphak

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2023, 12:59:12 AM »
Having the GX AXS at 300-400 USD on sales (e.g. rcz, and some shops), I am not sure what is the appeal of the EDS.

Tijoe

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2023, 09:55:10 AM »
Having the GX AXS at 300-400 USD on sales (e.g. rcz, and some shops), I am not sure what is the appeal of the EDS.

1.  Overall weight is less than the XX1.  EDS comparison should be between the X01 and the  XX1 versus the AXS. 
2.  I am tired of SRAM controlling their products and forcing you to purchase new stuff every few years.   The EDS OX is a universal derailleur that can be configured to operate on (I believe) 7 to 13 speeds via the smart phone app.
3.  I can transfer/swap the rear derailleur and shift pod from one bike to another in about 20 minutes total.  No cables to deal with. Then another 10 minutes, if you are changing # of cogs on the cassette, and/or cog ratios by having to adjust the limits.

d3xophen

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2023, 10:51:16 AM »
But fixed battery weight is increase.

Tijoe

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2023, 07:26:07 PM »
But fixed battery weight is increase.

Any idea how many gram were added?

Crash217

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2023, 10:48:20 AM »
Looking at grabbing one of the EDS systems soon,  Anyone familiar with One World Store on AliExpress?   Any better deals or more reputable sellers?
http://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805519485487.html

Comes with a cassette/chain, figure they'd "ok"  to get through the winter. then grab something nicer.

Tijoe

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2023, 11:02:24 AM »
I purchased 2 of the similar sets with the removable battery back in June for $274 each when they were closing out the old style.    I didn't need the chain and cassette because I use Microspline cassettes.   Seems like a decent price, but if you are not in a rush, you might wait until 11-11 sale and see if someone sells them for less.

Crash217

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2023, 11:10:28 AM »
I purchased 2 of the similar sets with the removable battery back in June for $274 each when they were closing out the old style.    I didn't need the chain and cassette because I use Microspline cassettes.   Seems like a decent price, but if you are not in a rush, you might wait until 11-11 sale and see if someone sells them for less.

I probably will wait until 11-11 to see if anything else I'll need for the build is going on sale.   Planning on building a Light Carbon 918 with LC bars and wheels, RS shock, Wren fork, the EDS and some Magura MT Trail brakes.

nicklej

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2023, 04:00:24 AM »
I like that the EDS also uses a 93mm cage which means you can use the garbaruk replacement cage with it and make it a bit lighter too. I've just bought new wheels but EDS is defo on my hit list. @tijoe how is the performance and how much ride time do you get out of a charge in reality? My AXS mech battery lasted about 700 miles before I would charge it, the shifter battery lasted an eternity.

DerKruser

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2023, 08:25:49 AM »

In addition to what others have mentioned.... the tunability through the app is a draw to me as well. I would love to put one of these on my wife's bike (currently 1x11 Shimano SLX). Electronic shifting without needing to update wheels/cassettes/chains/etc.

nicklej

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2023, 03:59:58 AM »
In addition to what others have mentioned.... the tunability through the app is a draw to me as well. I would love to put one of these on my wife's bike (currently 1x11 Shimano SLX). Electronic shifting without needing to update wheels/cassettes/chains/etc.

Yeah that is also my attraction. I don't want a new bike to fit newer standards right now and having something like this ticks that box for me and even works up to 12spd in the future if I go that way again. Plus, wireless stuff is nice and easy to change over from one bike to another which is even better given this works on basically all common cassette types. The downside is the reliably gamble. AXS has lots of long term reviews and I can vouch for it myself so if this lives up to it, then I think its the way to go for sure.