Author Topic: New to MTBing New to full suspension and confused P9  (Read 766 times)

New to MTBing New to full suspension and confused P9
« on: November 22, 2022, 10:31:03 AM »
Hello as the title says I’m new to your world and need some help.
I am transitioning from a hardtail to full suspension and ordered the ICAN P9.
My planned build specs are the following and do you guys see any concerns.
Fox fit grip2 38 fox fit grip 2 36 which one?
Fox float x performance elite 210x55
Mullet set up with I9 1/1 wheelset.
GX drivetrain.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 10:34:58 AM by BuckAwesome760 »

casual_build

Re: New to MTBing New to full suspension and confused P9
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2022, 04:04:45 PM »
Hello as the title says I’m new to your world and need some help.
I am transitioning from a hardtail to full suspension and ordered the ICAN P9.
My planned build specs are the following and do you guys see any concerns.
Fox fit grip2 38 fox fit grip 2 36 which one?
Fox float x performance elite 210x55
Mullet set up with I9 1/1 wheelset.
GX drivetrain.

The P9 is older frame. There are some build threads on here if you look around. If I recall correctly a lot of people use a slackR headset on that frame to modernize the geometry a bit.
Ask Endo.Alley about his
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 04:48:05 PM by casual_build »

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2022, 10:37:45 PM »
The 36, like the Lyrik, is being reduced in travel this year but is otherwise not that different, and very substantially lighter, versus a 38. The main reason to get a 38 is because you need more travel than a 36 allows for.

Definitely get the latest GRIP2 version of either fork that uses VVC (a very cool technology, if weirdly variable from one fork to another which makes tuning highly individual) on both HSR and HSC.

The Z1 Coil is easily the best overall performing fork I’ve ridden (esp. with a GRIP2 VVC upgrade) when you’re on the ground. But the extra weight and spring cush definitely drag down your jump arcs noticeably, if you’re like me and love to get air.

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2022, 10:42:23 PM »
You’ll probably find that rear shock a bit harsh. Fox air shocks always are (their forks too, but less dramatically so in the past few years with GRIP2 VVC and bigger EVOL negative air springs). DVO air shocks are much better balance of plushness and support IMO, recent Rockshox is decent, and the P9 does pretty well with coil shocks…if you want to try something affordable to start out there’s always the Marzocchi Bomber CR.

Unlike running a coil on the front, running one on the rear may soak up a little bit of jump energy but won’t drag down your arcs nearly as much.

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2022, 02:28:31 AM »
Thank you guys for the advice much appreciated. I the Fox 36 already from my hardtail and already bought the rear shock. If things don’t work out I will have to sell and go one of the recommended routes. Thank you guys again and keep it coming!

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2022, 04:54:55 PM »
Little progress still waiting on the rear shock fox X2