Author Topic: Offset bushings with Carbonda 936 or 909?  (Read 405 times)

6speed

Offset bushings with Carbonda 936 or 909?
« on: December 06, 2022, 05:01:30 PM »
Has anyone used offset bushings with Carbonda 936 or 909 frames?  I just became aware of their existence, and the point seems to be to shift the shock in one direction in order to change the head angle and BB height. 
https://www.offsetbushings.com/pages/how-they-work

If the seat stays are pushed back, then you may have that many more mm of travel available before the bridge connecting the stays contacts the seat tube.  This could be one way to safely get >100mm travel out of either frame, but it would involve raising the BB and steepening the head tube.  This is the opposite affect that most users will want when using offset bushings in general.

acedeuce802

Re: Offset bushings with Carbonda 936 or 909?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2022, 05:13:21 PM »
I haven't used them myself, but I have heard of people having them rotate in the shock when trying to extend eye-to-eye.  I'd be concerned about that because if they slipped, you'd crash the seat stay bridge.

Jotegr

Re: Offset bushings with Carbonda 936 or 909?
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2022, 07:27:02 PM »
offset bushings only work to slacken the HTA/lower BB. Acedeuce is correct, unless something is seriously wrong with your bike, they will always rotate to the slackest position. On some bikes they can be used to fit a longer eye to eye shock (effectively reducing the eye to eye), but they can't really be used to increase the eye to eye.

On a bike like the 936 which already has issues taking long stroke shocks I would be particularly cautious with their use as it will likely just compound the issue.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 07:29:05 PM by Jotegr »