Author Topic: LTWOO RX hydro sets  (Read 30212 times)

kbike

LTWOO RX hydro sets
« on: December 06, 2022, 11:20:54 PM »
Decided to make a thread for the ltwoo rx groupsets. I expect a lot of ? will be asked about what parts can be mixed and matched.

The new rx has reach adjustment that adjusts with a 2mm hex screw on the front of the brake.  There is a rubber tab on the inside of the brake levers. It stops the shift lever from clattering but the lever does hang up on the rubber every so often.  This leaves the lever about 2-3mm unflush with the brake lever this has not impact on performance. I'm use to some texture on the shifter levers.  The levers are very smooth other than the screen printed logo under the clear coat. Reminds me of campy.

The thumb shifter does take a firm push. I think it will be usable from the drops. The rubber hoods feel nice and thick. Can see the mold seam which won't be felt I'm just surprised to see it with how nice the shifters look.

Brakes have to use their adapters. there are 4 to choose from 140/160 and 160/180.  Tons of bolts. Compression bolt,olive and barb given.

My general feeling to the groupset is there are some very nicely done parts but I notice when there are corners cuts.

The front derailleur has cable guides. The front has a built in cable adjuster. Front cage is stamped steel. Rear looks nice has a nicely done carbon front cage and metal rear. There are two type of pulleys with the lower one having a more wave design. Both derailleur still use cheaper materials and manufacturing.   The spring is small on the rear derailleur compared to shimano 105 5800 and sensah SRX. It's not as hard to move as the 105 or SRX but the tension seems fine.

Haven't played with anything on a bike yet. I hope it does what I have planned.

Weights
Shifters 582g
Brakes with hoses and adapters 372g
Rear derailleur  218g
Front derailleur 108g

kbike

Re: LTWOO RX hydro sets
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2022, 11:31:43 PM »
more pics

comparing ltwoo vs 105 5800 vs sensah srx. Can see how much smaller the spring is, it comes with oil on the spring vs the srx which is dry no lube.  See the pulleys used,how the hanger mounts, b screw length compared to SRX and has blue thread locker.

Front derailleur see the cable slot and loop(button) cable wraps around and the cable adjuster.

Right shifter reach adjustment on front of brake. behind shifter and brake has a rubber pad screw on. Side view of the right shifter

s3si1u

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2022, 01:36:33 AM »
Great to see some first thoughts and pics from someone who has it on hand! Any plans of installing it soon?

I think I may have ruined my rear shifter (SRAM Red 22) when overhauling my bike and a replacement is more than 2/3 the cost of the 11 R9 hydro groupset...I'm almost considering just ordering the LTwoo group. Did you order from Aliexpress?
Instagram: @aerosloth

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2022, 02:38:50 AM »
Definitely giving LTWOO and Sensah a close look for my next gravel build. I want something modern, more upright than my GT Grade (would consider flat bar but sticking with drops would be nice) and a killer value.

Seems like one of these would be a no brainer over Shimano or SRAM whereas on my mountain bikes I’m very particular about almost always using XT everything.

Sebastian

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2022, 03:38:20 AM »
I love that something like this finally exists. Groupset prices have gotten out of hand. However, this has Campagnolo written all over it. At least the shifters look like they're very closely "inspired" - the mechanism seems like a blatant copy of Campag's Power Shift. I wonder how they're getting around Patent infringements on this one.
The front derailleur is intriguing. It seems to be a genuine original design and I love that it incorporates a cable tensioner.

Question: What kind of pads are these calipers using? Is it an existing standard and are they easy to source? Or is it a proprietary design?

kbike

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2022, 05:58:01 AM »
I have 2 plans yet I haven't decided. I have a gravel and a climber frame. I can get the climber under 6.8kg with this ltwoo groupset.  I'd really enjoy getting more range out of my gravel bike and having new brakes.

This was my first 12 speed set. I felt it pointless if it didn't add range.  It's a large cost increase to consider because cassettes are in the $40-50 for a 11-34 on a hg freehub. Any 9-10t cassette will cost $100+ plus needing a hd(r) freehub.

I will take apart the brakes to check pads today.   Will be nice if they match pads I have on hand. Id like to see how the egg roll heat coolers are fit.

jonathanf2

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2022, 09:32:08 AM »
I'm curious, since the 12 speed cassette fits an 11 speed hub, is it possible to use an 11 speed RD with the 12 speed shifters? I'd love to keep my existing RD/FD setup and just swap out the shifters and cassette to save on cost.

s3si1u

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2022, 12:02:00 PM »
I'm curious, since the 12 speed cassette fits an 11 speed hub, is it possible to use an 11 speed RD with the 12 speed shifters? I'd love to keep my existing RD/FD setup and just swap out the shifters and cassette to save on cost.

Hope someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the RD looks the same to me on both groups. I would imagine it works fine. Sensah probably uses the same RD for both 11 and 12 speed groups as well?
I haven't seen the shifters/brakes for sale on their own, though...I'd be interested in that as well.

kbike

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2022, 12:39:01 PM »
StiffWeenies posted a video with a guy using a r7000 working with the rx 12 speed shifters and 12s cassette.  I will be swapping in my other rd's to see what works as well.  I want to see if the srx or ulterga rx can work. I was told the ltwoo gravel rd has a range of 11-52.  I want to see if 9 or 10 is possible and if the rx road rd can use a 36. I will throw on a 40t if there is enough room with the 36t cassette

I took the pads out of the brakes. I put in shimano style k03s and l02a pads. I doubt the shimano j0 models will work.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 12:43:20 PM by kbike »

jonathanf2

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2022, 12:57:55 PM »
StiffWeenies posted a video with a guy using a r7000 working with the rx 12 speed shifters and 12s cassette.  I will be swapping in my other rd's to see what works as well.  I want to see if the srx or ulterga rx can work. I was told the ltwoo gravel rd has a range of 11-52.  I want to see if 9 or 10 is possible and if the rx road rd can use a 36. I will throw on a 40t if there is enough room with the 36t cassette

I took the pads out of the brakes. I put in shimano style k03s and l02a pads. I doubt the shimano j0 models will work.

Nice. I'm probably most interested in using the hydraulic brakes on my 1x gravel setup. I also have a Shimano GRX RD and LTwoo's GR9 gravel RD I could use in my parts bin. My road bike is running 105 R7000, but on Juin Tech calipers. I'm really enjoying mixing-n-matching Shimano and Chinese components to fill in certain component gaps.

kbike

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2022, 08:05:39 AM »
The right shifter hood rubber pinches the thumb shifter causing it to get stuck and not returning up.  I trimmed the rubber away so it will click back smoothly. The shifter allows multi shifts in both directions with the right hand levers.  Have to see how the indexing is for the front. Then see what the hydros are like.

kbike

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2022, 08:50:58 AM »
pics of shifter. if the left thumb shiftrt does the same i'll trim the rubber for it too.

Sebastian

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2022, 09:42:56 AM »
The right shifter hood rubber pinches the thumb shifter causing it to get stuck and not returning up.  I trimmed the rubber away so it will click back smoothly. The shifter allows multi shifts in both directions with the right hand levers.  Have to see how the indexing is for the front. Then see what the hydros are like.

If it does multiple shifts in both directions then I correct myself. It's a copy of Campagnolo Ultra Shift then. It actually seems to be absolutely identical judging from the shots of the ratchet ring.
This design has been around ever since Campagnolo first introduced their first generation of brifters in the early 90s. They only really ever updated the number of gears it can shift starting from 8sp until 12sp today. So maybe the design itself is not protected anymore since it's that old?

MovinMamba

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2022, 11:43:39 AM »
So how is it looking? Any installation feels?

kbike

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2022, 06:52:03 PM »
Sorry no new updates on using the rx groupset. I had a huge problem with the frame so that has set back that build. :(

Though I was surprised to get these today. So here's some pictures as a nice present.:D

GRT
weights
left shifter - 194g
right shifter - 284g
shifter together - 476g
Rear Derailleur - 274g
Brakes - 344g with mounts 372g

Onirii 160mm rotors gold 100g each

The GRT logo is used on the brakes, rear derailleur, shifters.  The GR logo is also placed on the right thumb shifters as well.  The spring on the rear is better than the rx.  The clutch is pretty firm but not like locking my ultegra rx. The cage on the rear is full carbon. There are two different sized pulleys.