Author Topic: Downcountry ramblings  (Read 1275 times)

jannmayer

Downcountry ramblings
« on: December 10, 2022, 10:00:04 AM »

I've been thinking about upgrading my bike for a while but keep going around in circles as to what I want. I thought I'd post my ramblings here and maybe someone will have some good insights. Or maybe just writing it down will help my get it sorted.  :)

I've been riding mountain bikes since the early 1990s (with some gaps), and always on a hardtail. I currently live in San Diego, California, and frequently ride Black Mountain. Del Mar Mesa, and Lake Hodges. My rides are mostly XC but with some chunky rocky bits thrown in. I don't do drops or jumps or anything too fast, but I do want something that can handle the occasional technical bit without throwing me over the bars, so something in the "downcountry" category should be what I want. My current bike is a Salsa Timberjack (previous model) with a 120 mm fork and roughly 67.5 to 68 degree head angle. I'm happy with the fit, and I could go a little more aggressive on the geometry, but I do like being able to maneuver on tight trails.

My biggest question is whether it's time to go full suspension or not. I've been on a hard tail my whole life, and my only experience on a full suspension bike was when I demoed a Santa Cruz Blur TR a few months ago. I loved it since it took the edge off the bumps but was still a very efficient bike. However, every time I ride my hardtail I have a good time, and I do enjoy the challenges of getting through things without the help of a rear shock. I'm worried that I would miss that, and I do like the simplicity of a hard tail. I was pretty sore at the end of my last long, rocky ride though.

Since I'm more on the XC side of the spectrum, I do want an efficient pedaling bike, but I would like to smooth the ride a bit. I want to keep my 120 mm fork. I am looking to do a frame swap, since I am happy with most of my components (120 mm SID Ultimate fork, SLX drivetrain, carbon wheels) and that would keep the cost down. I don't have room in the garage for another bike either. I am 6'3" / 190 cm, so I will need an XL frame, and that limits my options a bit.
Of the full suspension options, the most appealing open mold option is the Carbonda FM909, size XL. Carbonda seems like one of the safer options (I have a CFR707) and there are plenty of these out there. It is a much longer and slacker bike than I am currently riding - the wheelbase is about 6 cm longer, headtube about 2 degrees slacker - so I'm wondering how it would feel in the tight bits. It's also longer and slacker than the Blur TR I rode, and that felt about right for me. (Given the issues I've read recently about Carbonda's paint, I'd probably paint it myself.)

The Carbonda FM936 has a very long seat tube, so I'd have to get a shorter dropper (maybe 150 mm max?). Some of the review of the branded versions sound like they don't pedal as well, so it might not be as good of a fit for me. The Light Carbon LCFS917 looked appealing, but even the size 20 would be a bit small for me. I've only seen Large Lexons listed lately, so they are out as well.

The other appealing option may be a bit blasphemous on this forum. The Fezzari signal Peak TR looks to have good geometry and pedaling dynamics (very similar geometry to the Blur TR) and it isn't too expensive for a branded frame. (It is their own design, not sold elsewhere.) If I recall, it's about $2500 for the frame and shock. certainly more than a Carbonda, but a lot easier and the warranty is easier if needed. I've only seen a couple reviews but they were positive. It looks like it's a bit lighter than the 909 as well.

If I stick with a hardtail, it's between the new Cotic Solaris and a custom titanium frame, likely from Waltly. The Cotic geometry is also a bit long and slack, so I'd likely go with something in the middle if I went titanium.

Would a good steel or titanium hardtail feel much different than my alloy frame? I am running 2.6" tires so I wouldn't expect frame flex to add much compliance, but everyone keeps talkign about how nice bikes of those materials can feel.

Am I missing any other good full suspension options?

Should I just pick something and go with it? ;D

federic000

Re: Downcountry ramblings
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2022, 01:51:26 PM »
Yes, the LCFS918 ?

jannmayer

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2022, 03:28:40 PM »
Yes, the LCFS918 ?

Way too small. I'd need an 80mm stem to get the bars close to where I want them.

There aren't a whole lot of open mold choices for tall riders unfortunately.

Jotegr

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2022, 09:10:53 PM »
If you like the fit of your current hardtail but you're looking for a bit more aggressive bike, drop a Works -2 angleset in it before you go spending new bike money.

As for the 936 pedaling platform - maybe plan a remote lockout? Or tune the shock to just take the edge off rather than being a bit more well-rounded, since you're used to the hardtail life.

Zomb1e

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2022, 05:47:58 AM »
The Carbonda FM936 has a very long seat tube, so I'd have to get a shorter dropper (maybe 150 mm max?).

Not really. For my 936 L-sized frame Carbonda claims 230mm of max post insertion, but actually it is closer to 260mm. This allows me (183cm tall) to use any 170-180mm dropper, and even probably I can fit OneUp 210 if I want to. So while seat tube and claimed max insertion depths changes simultaneously by 50mm between L and XL frames, I suppose that real max insertion on XL will be about 310mm and you will be able to use higher travel dropper.

What's you seat height now (measured from saddle rails to BB)?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 05:52:07 AM by Zomb1e »

jannmayer

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2022, 08:48:34 AM »
If you like the fit of your current hardtail but you're looking for a bit more aggressive bike, drop a Works -2 angleset in it before you go spending new bike money.

As for the 936 pedaling platform - maybe plan a remote lockout? Or tune the shock to just take the edge off rather than being a bit more well-rounded, since you're used to the hardtail life.

That's a good idea - I'll look into the Works Angleset!

jannmayer

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2022, 08:56:10 AM »
Not really. For my 936 L-sized frame Carbonda claims 230mm of max post insertion, but actually it is closer to 260mm. This allows me (183cm tall) to use any 170-180mm dropper, and even probably I can fit OneUp 210 if I want to. So while seat tube and claimed max insertion depths changes simultaneously by 50mm between L and XL frames, I suppose that real max insertion on XL will be about 310mm and you will be able to use higher travel dropper.

What's you seat height now (measured from saddle rails to BB)?

My saddle-rails to BB height is about 770 mm. The issue with the dropper length is the saddle height, not insertion. The seat tube on my bike is 530 mm, and I have the post inserted all way (170 mm drop). The XL FM936 seat tube is about 10 mm longer, so I couldn't got my saddle height low enough unless I reduce the travel.

Sizing down to a L 936 would resolve that, but it would likely feel too short and I'd have a hard time getting my bars high enough.

Zomb1e

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2022, 10:31:04 AM »
My saddle-rails to BB height is about 770 mm. The issue with the dropper length is the saddle height, not insertion. The seat tube on my bike is 530 mm, and I have the post inserted all way (170 mm drop).

This sounds very strange, because it means that your dropper has extremely high stack height of 240mm, and this is really huge value for 170mm of drop. It means that post collar + seat clamp are 70mm and all droppers that I know have less.

Tijoe

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2022, 12:19:52 PM »
Regarding TI frames.  They can be the best of the best regarding handling and balance of flex/stiffness, or they can not be as good as you would expect.   My road bike standard is still my Merlin Extralight.  My Merlin is still the best riding road frame I have ever owned.  But, My Scott Addict, (Carbon) rides every bit as good as the Merlin, but is lighter.
I had Waltly build me a 29er hardtail TI frame built last year.  I just love it overall. But it is a slacker geometry, so it is fantastic for bikepacking, and gravel grinding, but doesn't handle tight berms very well. (Partlycompounded by using dropper bars.)   This being written, I actually enjoy riding many of our local trails on the 29er Waltly hardtai, more than I do on my older full suspension bike.  I am faster on the climbs than my riding buddies, but a bit slower descending, versus them riding their FS bikes.

Therefore I am building up a Spcycle SP-M05 carbon hardtail this winter, so I will have a lighter carbon hardtail that I hope will climb even better and be faster on the berms and descents. (Then I will use my Waltly more for bikepacking, and gravel grinders. Versus my Gravel bike that beats the heck out of me on descents)

Perhaps the last bike I will build next year and may be my last modern full suspension 29er (Something I can enjoy for a few years before I get too old and move on to an E-bike)
One of the reasons I recently joined this forum, is to research/find out what the best Chinese FS frame might be for my needs.

jannmayer

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2022, 08:52:24 AM »
This sounds very strange, because it means that your dropper has extremely high stack height of 240mm, and this is really huge value for 170mm of drop. It means that post collar + seat clamp are 70mm and all droppers that I know have less.

I double checked the measurements, and that is correct. When the post is all the way down, it's about 65 mm from the base of the collar to the center of the seat rails. It's a Trans-X dropper, which I believe is the same as the PNW and possibly others as well.

Zomb1e

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2022, 04:46:13 PM »
I double checked the measurements, and that is correct. When the post is all the way down, it's about 65 mm from the base of the collar to the center of the seat rails. It's a Trans-X dropper, which I believe is the same as the PNW and possibly others as well.

As far as I know, Tranx-X, Brand X Ascend and PNW Bachelor are all the same thing, so I measured my old Ascend 150mm and got 63 mm from collar bottom to center of rails. So it's definitely not 70 mm, but your current dropper will not fit 936 XL. Good thing is that you doesn't need something with very low stack height like OneUp, Wolftooth or Bikeyoke/Manitou - even new'ish PNW Loam 170 mm with its 50 mm collar-to-rails will fit.

jannmayer

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2022, 07:56:10 PM »
How does the 936 compare with the 909? The geometry is very similar between them but they use different shock layouts. Is the 909 more optimized for pedaling efficiency?

I do like the ability to fit two bottles on the 909. It gets pretty warm down here in the summer and I go through a lot of water...