Author Topic: 2022 Cervelo S5  (Read 5108 times)

C4rbon

Re: 2022 Cervelo S5
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2023, 09:08:20 PM »
People see bikes they like, if they are reasonably priced and work for what they need, they buy them.

Sure, some people look to fake they own an expensive bike which is a bit weird, but not most.

Most who buy these kinds of frames ride them as  unbranded and enjoy them not caring about brand names, and would never consider paying the price of the original. It’s really not that complex. I don’t see why people get so upset. Those who would buy the original would never consider the clone.

IP theft is not great, the customer for this bike is not the same customer as for the cervelo however.

I don’t care what people ride. So long as they are happy. It’s not my business. I do find bikes like this one interesting however.

Sebastian

« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2023, 01:49:19 AM »
Also availability: I never set out to buy a fake Dogma. I went to my LBS thinking about actually buying a new road bike in the middle of covid supply chain issues. I was told I’d probably have to wait two years upon ordering and even that would not be a guarantee. So I decided to stick with my wheels and groupset for the time being which meant staying with rim brakes. But knowing where the bike industry is going I accept that at some point high end rim brake stuff will be harder and harder to get. So I wasn’t going to shell out thousands for a rim brake frame and I certainly wasn’t going to pay 6 grand for a rim brake Dogma F frameset. There’s next to no direct mount rim brake frames from China with modern shapes and cable integration available. So that’s why I went with the VB 218. I’d never stick decals on it to make it look like the real thing, though.
Now had I found an equivalent non counterfeit option, I’d probably have picked that. But with all that said, I’m very pleased with the bike.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2023, 01:55:48 AM by Sebastian »

coffeebreak

« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2023, 06:39:13 AM »
On the other hand it would be incredible fun to ride a fake Cervelo or Dogma and be faster than rich dentists on their 12k Pinarellos. Who's laughing now b*tch?

With that said if people think real stuff is 10 times better than say VB218 because it's 10 times expensive they are grossly mistaken. It's not like Cervelo or such are pinnacle of engineering. Little loud mouth but Hambini's video are worth watching on the subject.

I feel it's the elitist attitude of cyclists that's detrimental to the sport than anything else. Let people buy and enjoy whatever they want. I bet there's countless people in supposedly rich countries who can easily afford real stuff but won't do it.

We are literally on a forum for Chiner bikes. To question the logic or reason as to why they bought a fake Cervelo or put S-works sticker is silly. Personally if I had a fake I would keep it blank but if someone puts a gun to my head and makes me choose then I'll go with brand name sticker than some other cryptic text / my own name.

jonathanf2

« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2023, 12:19:52 PM »
Even though that bike looks cool, it just doesn't seem practical unless you pick up a spare fork and drop bars with it.

Also I don't get the allure of fake branded frames. I'd rather just ride with no branding. The only thing I can think of are the weekend coffee riders looking to impress the other non-serious cyclists on how much money they spent. It's not like you'll impress your future mate with a fancy bike! Lol

C4rbon

« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2023, 01:17:26 PM »
Why not just choose what you like and suits your riding style? Not much that looks like this one.

For a lot of people the brand thing and what others think will be a non issue. I don’t ride anything branded.

Does not have to be a pose, even though a large portion of those who do buy branded do so for some brand clout.

Some people want to focus on the riding ;) and picking a bike that will best service that.

C4rbon

« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2023, 01:18:24 PM »
Any why do you need a spare fork and bars? I have never needed spares for those..

jonathanf2

« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2023, 01:35:12 PM »
Any why do you need a spare fork and bars? I have never needed spares for those..

All it takes is a bad wipe out, and those non-universal parts will be a pain to source. Maybe you can do without the fork, but almost all my crashes result in dropping my bars.

C4rbon

« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2023, 01:22:25 PM »
In the event of a break, why not just buy new ones from the vendor?

Froglover825

« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2023, 07:55:24 PM »
On the other hand it would be incredible fun to ride a fake Cervelo or Dogma and be faster than rich dentists on their 12k Pinarellos. Who's laughing now b*tch?

With that said if people think real stuff is 10 times better than say VB218 because it's 10 times expensive they are grossly mistaken. It's not like Cervelo or such are pinnacle of engineering. Little loud mouth but Hambini's video are worth watching on the subject.

I feel it's the elitist attitude of cyclists that's detrimental to the sport than anything else. Let people buy and enjoy whatever they want. I bet there's countless people in supposedly rich countries who can easily afford real stuff but won't do it.

We are literally on a forum for Chiner bikes. To question the logic or reason as to why they bought a fake Cervelo or put S-works sticker is silly. Personally if I had a fake I would keep it blank but if someone puts a gun to my head and makes me choose then I'll go with brand name sticker than some other cryptic text / my own name.

These dentists set their bikes up like sheit as well, in my country s5's are literally everywhere, they have noisy unwaxxed chains, slow tyres, and run wide handlebars.
I am dropping them constantly on my commuter while riding zone 2 that probably is worth like $1k.

patliean1

« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2023, 08:49:25 PM »
Questioning one's spending choices on fake frames: BAD
Insulting one's spending choices on legitimate (albeit expensive) frames: GOOD

Chinatown logic...

carbonazza

« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2023, 02:59:22 AM »
Questioning one's spending choices on fake frames: BAD
Insulting one's spending choices on legitimate (albeit expensive) frames: GOOD

Chinatown logic...

Well... paying a bike 14,000 while you can get the equivalent for 7,000
That means two bikes instead of one, just for a sticker.
So yes, it may appear we know something they don't  8)

Sebastian

« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2023, 03:40:19 AM »
I don’t judge people on bikes with 5digit price tags. I don’t like where the market is going but if they got the money they’re entitled to spend it on bikes like that. If I had money in abundance I’d probably contemplate buying a top end road bike as well, no matter the price tag.

But for me, one of the biggest reasons to go with Chiner-frames is also: I’m a DIY guy and I like custom solutions. I love fiddling around with stuff. I love building bikes myself. I have very particular ideas and I like to get a custom paintjob. And whenever I’m checking complete bike offerings from the big brands, I tend to find something I don’t like. So I much rather collect parts myself and build my own.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2023, 04:05:51 AM by Sebastian »

patliean1

« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2023, 09:17:38 AM »
But for me, one of the biggest reasons to go with Chiner-frames is also: I’m a DIY guy and I like custom solutions. I love fiddling around with stuff. I love building bikes myself. I have very particular ideas and I like to get a custom paintjob. And whenever I’m checking complete bike offerings from the big brands, I tend to find something I don’t like. So I much rather collect parts myself and build my own.

I'm fully on board with your mindset. Sadly most major brands are not really incentivized to sell stand-alone framesets. This is problem for me personally because I already have all the wheels and components I need.

This is where Chinese frames become super appealing.

s3si1u

« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2023, 12:08:48 PM »

Couldn't agree with you more. While price is a definite push toward chiner frames, the real pull is the "uniqueness" and customizability. I can't see myself buying another frame with a standard factory paint job after having done this 3 times already. Heck, I can't even see myself paying someone for a paint job, I found a new hobby in the process. :) I like that my bikes look like nothing else out here in my area.  ;D