Author Topic: 2022 Cervelo S5  (Read 5111 times)

Leejordan86

2022 Cervelo S5
« on: December 22, 2022, 08:31:24 PM »
There doesn't seem to be much information out there on the Cervelo S5 copy frames and so I thought I'd start this topic to collect some information.

There are few photos and videos online about this frame but I'm finding it difficult to find so much as a model number!

The communication using the ali message center has been challenging. Doe anyone have more info!

I'd just like to finish off by saying I'm looking for an aero disc frame. The Elves Falath, Ican A22 and LTK268 look like great options but first looking to find out more information on the S5 copy.

Tines

Re: 2022 Cervelo S5
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2022, 11:56:47 PM »
Do you think it’s a good idea to get a frame with proprietary parts from a seller that probably infringes patents?

memebike

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2022, 12:36:20 AM »
Do you think it’s a good idea to get a frame with proprietary parts from a seller that probably infringes patents?

this whole forum is pretty much dedicated to this.

Leejordan86

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2022, 01:08:13 AM »

You’re totally right, this frame in particular is quite unique compared to your Velobuild frames. I’m more intrigued than anything else even though I would buy one in a heartbeat.

On the other hand, as a bicycle mechanic and some who used to work at a bike shop, the mark up on high end bikes are a joke and the big companies are taking customers for a ride. If a genuine Cervelo S5 frame was twice the price of the copy I would buy it and so would many others which would pay for the R&D and the engineering fast. Unfortunately the genuine Cervelo is about 5 times the price.

I have enough spares and just need a frame to build a bike up and looking at aero options

If anyone has more info please post!

Tines

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2022, 01:17:12 AM »
this whole forum is pretty much dedicated to this.
I don’t know about the other sections in this forum but I have the impression that many threads in the road section are about vendors that have more or less established their own brand identity with frames that are similar to main stream frames.
With those brands you have a higher chance of getting spares down the road.
Getting replacement parts like fork is probably always hard if the vendor vanishes or doesn’t offer that part anymore but you can still use other stems/handlebar combos. And I think that is the main disadvantage.
I often read posts about the  flexibility of chinese carbon handlebars, so if you’re not satisfied with the one supplied what are you gonna do? Buy one from cervelo for 400?  (Just a guess)

So no, intuitively i don’t think it’s the same.

Leejordan86

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2022, 01:34:07 AM »
Yes and buying from a vendor or one of the big brands is preferred, I own and support Dengfu and main brand frames but I’m trying to find out some more information about this S5 frame as well.

If it is designed as intended then it shouldn’t have any issues in the same manor that other vendor’s frames also shouldn’t have any issues.

If anyone has some information or purchased this S5 frame please your experience.

Avalius

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2022, 02:04:09 AM »
Jumping in on this thread as a lurker and bike mechanic myself.
To give an example the Tarmac SL7 copies around are painted TFSA JH-33 Frames.
Buying a TFSA frame is considered ok, buying a replica is putting your life at risk.
It's all a bit strange if you ask me  :)

Tines

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2022, 02:26:32 AM »
I do Not think you necessarily put your life at risk,
There might be lower quality but my issue would be that it’s not economical or ecological if you have to throw the bike in the trash if you can’t get parts for it easily.
(Personal preference of course as I am also dependent on the manufacturer for the fork when it comes to the Chinese carbon frame I’ll receive next month. But yeah. I just wanted to point this out. I also have an aeroad and the fact that you can’t exchange parts on the cockpits drives me nuts sometimes. But Canyon will probably still be around if i really need replacements …)

memebike

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2022, 02:36:15 AM »
I do Not think you necessarily put your life at risk,
There might be lower quality but my issue would be that it’s not economical or ecological if you have to throw the bike in the trash if you can’t get parts for it easily.
(Personal preference of course as I am also dependent on the manufacturer for the fork when it comes to the Chinese carbon frame I’ll receive next month. But yeah. I just wanted to point this out. I also have an aeroad and the fact that you can’t exchange parts on the cockpits drives me nuts sometimes. But Canyon will probably still be around if i really need replacements …)

So your issue is more around proprietary parts rather than the patent infringment?

Leejordan86

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2022, 02:37:07 AM »
Sorry to sound like the devil’s advocate but how do you know it isn’t a copy, maybe it is a similar situation to the SL7

We don’t know much about this S5 frame yet so let’s see if any more information surfaces.

memebike

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2022, 02:39:30 AM »
sorry to derail this thread, if anyone has info on these frames or has built it up, I'd also be interested to see how it goes.

Tines

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2022, 04:18:49 AM »
So your issue is more around proprietary parts rather than the patent infringment?
The more a brand invests time and money to establish a reputation the more I’m fine with proprietary parts.
Regarsing patents - personally I wouldn’t ride the velobuild 218 or frames in general with unique designs. The 168 and sl7 for me isn’t that much of an issue because it doesnt look too different to many other road bike frames (at least from a glance…)
But that’s just me  of course , i think everyone can do whatever they want with the money.

RDY

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2022, 05:10:36 AM »
The real S5 has enough points of failure and questionable design or engineering choices of its own.  I think going for a knock off of it would introduce an unacceptable level of risk to most informed riders.

Liter

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2022, 07:47:12 AM »

Great ethical question, I try to steer clear of direct copies mostly because people making them can't be trusted to put out a frame that is safe, it's a risk not worth. Chinese have yet to make a decent integrated cockpit that works. But considering how brands have gauged prices of stuff that is badly designed, I don't have a problem with Chinese copying most stuff. Cervelo S5 looks stupid to be honest, much rather see a R5 design, the classic road bikes with integrated front looks great.

Velovelo

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2023, 09:08:24 AM »

On a side note, this thread could basically be a useful / free market research for VB haha...
I foresee "an homage" to the Cervelo S5 coming soon.
People will definitely buy a Cervelo S5 copied frame. For some reason (maybe because of this forum) it feels more comfortable if it comes from VB compared to some random dealer.

Btw, I was trying to avoid buying a copy frame when I got the LTK268 / tt-x21 / 099 . Turns out it was a Dolan Ares or Lokka Ranger.
I wonder if there is a true open mold frame out there for people who want to avoid copied / homage frames.