Author Topic: 2nd bike considerations  (Read 1326 times)

Toteki

2nd bike considerations
« on: December 29, 2022, 11:10:25 AM »
Afternoon all,

First of all thanks for all the info on these forums. My knowledge on bikes and parts is limited, the forums help and are fun to read.

I currently own a Winspace T1500D, which I'm quite happy with. I'm thinking about a second bike for frequent commuting. I live in an area with quite some short steep climbs and the roads are subpar in some parts of my route. So I would like to match my second bike with wider tires. On my Winspace I'm using 25c. I

Looking at Chinese vendors for a SL7 inspired carbon disk brake frame. Mainly because of good reviews of the original frame, while realising they are not the same thing. Found VeloBuild's VBR168 and a copy from a Taiwanese vendor on Aliexpress. I've been exchanging messages with the Taiwanese vendor today, quick replies and a lot of pictures for reference on models and colours. His business handle seems to be Carbonbikefactory777, claiming to be based in Taiwan.

• Does anyone here have any experience with frames coming from this specific vendor?
  • Can anyone comment on Velobuild vs Aliexpress vendors when it comes to SL7 hommages?
  • What would be the max width wheels/tires I can use on the SL7?
  • Any other suggestions for a good second bike, over the SL7 hommages?

Attached a pic of my current bike. Thanks in advance for any replies.

rutgervr

Re: 2nd bike considerations
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2022, 03:11:48 AM »
I am waiting on a frame from a taiwanese seller. Normally it is in hands of UPS now but i dont get much information. If I have to do it again i would buy from VB. I am thinking to buy one from VB instead.
The pictures of the taiwanese are looking great but if thet will deliver i dont know...

Toteki

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2022, 03:30:05 AM »
When did they dispatch your bike? I believe you should assume it’s coming. Which frame did you order from which vendor?

rutgervr

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2022, 10:25:05 AM »
Around 20 december i think, i ordered from taiwan-carbonfiber. It's like a canyon normally.

RDY

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2022, 02:52:08 PM »
I'd suggest getting a gravel bike.  Getting something very similar to the first one (but cheaper and shittier) won't let you go anywhere new.  Gravel bike will be tougher, have plenty of clearance for mud guards, and will allow you to ride offroad.

If you have a Speeder / Winspace road frame, I doubt you're going to enjoy a cheap SL7 copy that much - and it won't be ideal as a commuter bike.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 04:03:21 AM by RDY »

Toteki

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2022, 08:17:08 PM »
Any examples of cheaper non-shitty gravel bikes for me to consider?

RDY

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2022, 03:56:08 AM »
https://www.carbonda.com/road/gravel/  696 if you want something a bit more upright and endurance focused, without integrated cabling.  707 if you want something a bit racier with integrated cabling.  They're good quality and should be good for commuting, gravel, or long endurance rides where the Winspace might begin to get uncomfortable.

agomezda

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2022, 03:59:02 PM »
Consider the Velobuild CX-02. It seems it has a roadbike geometry, aero features and with wider tire clearance. I am still considering it as second bike, but I have an indestructible Giant TCX I love…
http://www.velobuild.com/products/velobuild-2023-new-cx-002-carbon-fiber-cyclocross-frame-full-inner-routing

Toteki

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2023, 10:27:47 AM »
Thanks for your thoughts. Accepted your reasoning, did some browsing and put in an order for a Grevil paired with a Talon Ultra. Haven’t decided on wheels and groupset yet.

For the groupset I’m looking at GRX DI2 or SRAM Rival etap axs. I don’t see myself going completely off-road. For daily commutes, I’ll probably stay on-roads that are subpar to say the least. I live in an area with a lot of short steep hills as well. As for wheels and tires, no idea yet.

Any considerations on groupset, wheels and tires?

carbonazza

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2023, 01:51:09 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts. Accepted your reasoning, did some browsing and put in an order for a Grevil paired with a Talon Ultra. Haven’t decided on wheels and groupset yet.

For the groupset I’m looking at GRX DI2 or SRAM Rival etap axs. I don’t see myself going completely off-road. For daily commutes, I’ll probably stay on-roads that are subpar to say the least. I live in an area with a lot of short steep hills as well. As for wheels and tires, no idea yet.

Any considerations on groupset, wheels and tires?

SRAM is much easier and fast to install. And Rival has smaller hoods than the current Force or Red.
For the tires if you go on the road often, 40mm is a kind of a max, more and it starts to be sluggish.
And as RDY said already, you would get a much better frame and service with the Carbonda 707.

Toteki

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2023, 08:40:42 PM »
Thanks. Considering SRAM Rival.

As for the frame, i already ordered one and am really looking forward to building the whole thing.
Still curious about your comment on getting a ‘much better frame with a Carbonda’. Can you define better and in which areas would I notice a frame being ‘better’?

For wheels I’m looking at Ican or wheels from a vendor here on the forums who seems to make quality wheels. Any thoughts on Ican? And do you have any suggestion on good (size) tires, preferably with tan colored walls?

Toteki

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2023, 08:43:30 PM »
Here’s the frame I ordered. Delivery delayed to Feb due to CNY.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 08:45:54 PM by Toteki »

Toteki

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2023, 10:51:53 AM »
While I’m still waiting on delivery I’m wondering if anyone has a manual for the Winspace 1500D frame with information on ‘torque settings’ for saddle and handlebar for example.

coffeebreak

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2023, 10:55:25 AM »
Love the looks of this frame. The fork has that little fin on one arm where the disc brake caliper should be bolted but with that fin how is it mounted?

s3si1u

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2023, 11:00:51 AM »
Thanks. Considering SRAM Rival.

As for the frame, i already ordered one and am really looking forward to building the whole thing.
Still curious about your comment on getting a ‘much better frame with a Carbonda’. Can you define better and in which areas would I notice a frame being ‘better’?

For wheels I’m looking at Ican or wheels from a vendor here on the forums who seems to make quality wheels. Any thoughts on Ican? And do you have any suggestion on good (size) tires, preferably with tan colored walls?

I wouldn't say a frame is decidedly "better" than another sight unseen, but I think the community here has come to a consensus that Carbonda is among the most consistent OEM seller of gravel frames. With Carbonda you know what you're getting and there's lots of anecdotal accounts on here with good feedback.
Also, frames like the 696 are used by damn near everybody as their "branded" gravel frame for much more than Carbonda charges, so the quality must be pretty good. There's a KHS branded 696 near me for a decent price right now that has me up at night    ;D
Instagram: @aerosloth