Author Topic: Onirii carbon cranks  (Read 1760 times)

svanimpe

Onirii carbon cranks
« on: January 10, 2023, 03:52:09 PM »
Does anyone have experience with these?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004966642426.html

They look promising, and I'm especially excited to see a 48-32 combination, but they actually cost *more* than e.g. a Praxis Zayante Carbon crankset.

jonathanf2

Re: Onirii carbon cranks
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2023, 06:55:15 PM »
I was initially looking at those cranks, but opted for the Racework Carbon crankset due to the BSA compatible 24mm spindle size. The Onirii might be sturdier with its 30mm alloy spindle axle vs. the Racework 24mm spindle axle. Though it appears to be slightly heavier.

svanimpe

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2023, 02:10:57 AM »
Do you have a link to those? I can't find any Racework carbon cranks.

theo__

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2023, 08:50:36 AM »

svanimpe

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2023, 09:46:58 AM »
Is that a steel spindle?

Unfortunately, no subcompact offering :(

theo__

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2023, 11:18:34 AM »
Is that a steel spindle?

Unfortunately, no subcompact offering :(

It has alu spindle.
The weight is very good, i am tempted to jump in.

eeney

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2023, 07:14:17 PM »
I was initially looking at those cranks, but opted for the Racework Carbon crankset ........

Any feedback on the Racework crankset? Looks like a budget way to drop almost 500g off my bike

ChrisB

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2023, 12:28:42 PM »
Any feedback on the Racework crankset? Looks like a budget way to drop almost 500g off my bike

The crank looks good so far...
I installed it on my 1x Gravelbike but had no chance to do some longer rides so no longterm experience yet.

BR Chris

jonathanf2

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2023, 12:51:41 PM »

Yeah they look, spin and feel great when pedaling. Just be aware it's a 24mm alloy spindle (versus SRAM alloy 30mm) and that the non-drive side crank arm is susceptible to damage if not torqued properly. On the plus side, Shimano left crank arms fit and come in handy if you're using a power meter or want a sturdier left crank arm. The difference in weight between the Racework and Shimano (based on 105/Ultegra) is 50g.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 01:20:54 PM by jonathanf2 »

eeney

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2023, 01:06:00 PM »
Yeah they look, spin and feel great when pedaling.....

Thanks for the info, strangely my Rival 1 crankset is a 24mm spindle, so these should fit perfectly but I will dble check.  My Rival 1 crank with chainset is 920g, so this'd be a big weight saving. AUD $200 to save 500g seems like a worthy investment.

Interesting on the Shimano crank arm, I just sold a DA stages PM and moved to speedplay PM....  Almost a shame I can't get this raceworks crank with a PM built in..... but then I'd need a bigger spending budget.

Thanks again.

jonathanf2

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2023, 01:25:32 PM »
Thanks for the info, strangely my Rival 1 crankset is a 24mm spindle, so these should fit perfectly but I will dble check.  My Rival 1 crank with chainset is 920g, so this'd be a big weight saving. AUD $200 to save 500g seems like a worthy investment.

Interesting on the Shimano crank arm, I just sold a DA stages PM and moved to speedplay PM....  Almost a shame I can't get this raceworks crank with a PM built in..... but then I'd need a bigger spending budget.

Thanks again.

I was thinking of SRAM DUB with the bigger alloy axle spindle. The Racework seems sturdy enough, though it doesn't have the same reassurance as a fully steel crank axle! Though I figure if  going down the weight weenie path, durability is the tradeoff to reduced weight.

Overall though I've been really impressed by the crank, and it looks oddly similar to my buddy's SRAM carbon cranks on his road bike. In fact they almost seem like direct copies.

zxcvbnmjm

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2023, 10:33:41 AM »
This looks interesting!

eeney

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2023, 05:08:26 PM »
One think the Onirii has is a 165mm option... given it's within 50g of the Raceworks, I am tempted to buy the 165mm Onirii, I'm just suprised by and holding off due to the price difference.  It's seems to be almost 2x the price of the Raceworks, can anyone justify the higher price for the Onirii? I don't know much about either brand

What I really want is a lightweight, affordable carbon 1x crank with spider power meter.

zxcvbnmjm

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2023, 02:11:53 AM »
One think the Onirii has is a 165mm option... given it's within 50g of the Raceworks, I am tempted to buy the 165mm Onirii, I'm just suprised by and holding off due to the price difference.  It's seems to be almost 2x the price of the Raceworks, can anyone justify the higher price for the Onirii? I don't know much about either brand

What I really want is a lightweight, affordable carbon 1x crank with spider power meter.

Raceworks is 24mm alloy spindle and this onirii crank is DUB. If i were to choose between the two i would definitely go for the onirii set for reasons mentioned above regarding 24mm alloy spindle strength

jonathanf2

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2023, 09:30:46 AM »
Raceworks is 24mm alloy spindle and this onirii crank is DUB. If i were to choose between the two i would definitely go for the onirii set for reasons mentioned above regarding 24mm alloy spindle strength

3 of my bikes are running 24mm alloy spindle cranksets (2 Racework carbon and 1 Goldix alloy) and they seem to be using the same style 7075 T6 alloy. So far no issues, but I weigh 68-70kg. If I weighed significantly more, I would probably go with DUB or a steel axle crankset.