Author Topic: Advice on fake frames  (Read 4221 times)

Advice on fake frames
« on: January 12, 2023, 12:58:10 PM »
Anyone bought fake frames such as Dogma, S5, Emonda, Madone, SL6/7, etc ?

I've been looking on aliexpress, biggest sellers are Taiwan Eisen and Rocking Cycling Store. The last one has a website (yohobike.com) with a lot of frames. He gave me a password to check it : "realme"
They also sell fake Princeton wheels, zipps etc

coffeebreak

Re: Advice on fake frames
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2023, 02:00:13 PM »
Oh damn. Made me a little uneasy logging in with a password! They aren't shying away at all do they. Just for fun I looked if they had the Specialized Mixtape colorway frame but they don't. I did find another interesting color which has gotten me intrigued - https://yohobike.com/product/specialized-tarmac-sl6-carbon-road-bike-frame-fork-seatpost-t1000-crf16-03/

Any idea if they gave estimate on shipping? I went all the way to "Place an order" screen and doesn't show any shipping charge to USA. The prices there seem to be inclusive of everything. If this is legit (lol) then it might be a good option to other Chinese makers that get discussed here. The color job does look good to me.

svanimpe

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2023, 03:32:59 PM »
I wouldn't ride any counterfeits even if they payed me to do so. In most places, it's illegal to knowingly buy counterfeit products, so whoever produces them doesn't have to care about quality, safety, or warranty...

Just pay a little more and get a quality Chinese frame.

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2023, 02:51:49 AM »
I wouldn't ride any counterfeits even if they payed me to do so. In most places, it's illegal to knowingly buy counterfeit products, so whoever produces them doesn't have to care about quality, safety, or warranty...

Just pay a little more and get a quality Chinese frame.

I've been thinking maybe the Dogmas and SL7s the guy is selling on yohobike.com are from velobuild, he might buy some from them, paint them and sell them for profit.

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2023, 02:53:45 AM »
Oh damn. Made me a little uneasy logging in with a password! They aren't shying away at all do they. Just for fun I looked if they had the Specialized Mixtape colorway frame but they don't. I did find another interesting color which has gotten me intrigued - https://yohobike.com/product/specialized-tarmac-sl6-carbon-road-bike-frame-fork-seatpost-t1000-crf16-03/

Any idea if they gave estimate on shipping? I went all the way to "Place an order" screen and doesn't show any shipping charge to USA. The prices there seem to be inclusive of everything. If this is legit (lol) then it might be a good option to other Chinese makers that get discussed here. The color job does look good to me.

I spoke to the yohobike guy on aliexpress (Rocking Cycling Bike Store is his store) he confirmed 30-45 days for production + shipping since they have new years holidays in like 10 days. I asked for a 59,5cm and they have one in orange in stock, in their "48h shipping" tab

rutgervr

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2023, 04:13:43 AM »
I spoke to the yohobike guy on aliexpress (Rocking Cycling Bike Store is his store) he confirmed 30-45 days for production + shipping since they have new years holidays in like 10 days. I asked for a 59,5cm and they have one in orange in stock, in their "48h shipping" tab

I'm waiting on a frame but they're not correct in delivery terms, i ordered end of november ,normally delivery was for half of january but its already end of february now . normally its shipped because i can see there is a label created. First they are very correct but after you have payed its al a little bit weird in there communication. I hope they will deliver.

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2023, 05:08:37 AM »
I'm waiting on a frame but they're not correct in delivery terms, i ordered end of november ,normally delivery was for half of january but its already end of february now . normally its shipped because i can see there is a label created. First they are very correct but after you have payed its al a little bit weird in there communication. I hope they will deliver.

You ordered via the website or on Aliexpress ? If I order from them I would do it via Aliexpress even if its 10% more + VAT I think it's safer

rutgervr

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2023, 07:23:00 AM »
You ordered via the website or on Aliexpress ? If I order from them I would do it via Aliexpress even if its 10% more + VAT I think it's safer
I ordered directly from them , not from Aliexpress

ChrisB

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2023, 03:01:49 PM »
Well I was unsure if I should post anything regarding my new racebike project since it is a copy of a well known brand...

I was curious enough to place an order and build up the bike after checking the inside of the frame with a camera and all looked good.
Seller was the mentioned Rocking cycling store, I ordered the frame on October 19th and it arrived just before Christmas.
The paint quality leaves room for improvement but the rest of the frame, seat mast and handlebar look good. Only the break areas and the handlebar spacers needed some manual work with file and sandpaper...

Here a picture of the finished bike with 105 Di2, Elite Edge wheels GP5000 28mm: Total weight 7.6kg.
First ride was excellent, the bike accelerates fast and holds speed well. Position on the bike is comfortable.

Honestly speaking, if I would have found a similar frame design from a Chinese manufacturer like Seraph or Winspace I would chosen one of their frames instead. But I always liked the design of this particular frame so took the risk to give it a try... if it does not work out it will end up as my indoor bike  ;D

BR Chris
« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 03:08:18 PM by ChrisB »

Avalius

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2023, 06:43:02 AM »
The S-works SL7 frames are TFSA Jh-33 frames painted..

rutgervr

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2023, 09:31:55 AM »
The S-works SL7 frames are TFSA Jh-33 frames painted..
I think you have to look closer, they're copy's but they're not the same like they just paint them...

holmosapien

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2023, 04:18:08 PM »
The idea of a Madone knockoff with IsoSpeed is both really cool and terrifying. It's questionable enough getting something like the Cervelo S5 or the Tarmac SL 7 that have no moving parts, but throwing a suspension bearing into the frame takes this to a whole new level.

I'd love to see some actual details on what they did for that and whether the parts are interchangeable with the real thing.

abdbeg

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2023, 04:02:31 AM »
Well I was unsure if I should post anything regarding my new racebike project since it is a copy of a well known brand...

I was curious enough to place an order and build up the bike after checking the inside of the frame with a camera and all looked good.
Seller was the mentioned Rocking cycling store, I ordered the frame on October 19th and it arrived just before Christmas.
The paint quality leaves room for improvement but the rest of the frame, seat mast and handlebar look good. Only the break areas and the handlebar spacers needed some manual work with file and sandpaper...

Here a picture of the finished bike with 105 Di2, Elite Edge wheels GP5000 28mm: Total weight 7.6kg.
First ride was excellent, the bike accelerates fast and holds speed well. Position on the bike is comfortable.

Honestly speaking, if I would have found a similar frame design from a Chinese manufacturer like Seraph or Winspace I would chosen one of their frames instead. But I always liked the design of this particular frame so took the risk to give it a try... if it does not work out it will end up as my indoor bike  ;D

BR Chris

Hey Chris, can you share your experience with us? How bike is holding, what kind of negatives do you have?

Sebastian

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2023, 05:02:59 AM »
The idea of a Madone knockoff with IsoSpeed is both really cool and terrifying. It's questionable enough getting something like the Cervelo S5 or the Tarmac SL 7 that have no moving parts, but throwing a suspension bearing into the frame takes this to a whole new level.

I'd love to see some actual details on what they did for that and whether the parts are interchangeable with the real thing.

That's an Emonda knock-off, right? So no IsoSpeed anywhere. There are however last gen Madone knock offs on Aliexpress. And I was wondering the same thing about these.
The only reason I bought a knock off as in the VB R218 from Velobuild is that it was the only frame available that had a) direct mount rim brakes and b) fully internal cabling. I wanted these two things and there is virtually no other frame out there - except maybe from one option at Lightcarbon that I didn't like the look of. I see it more as a replica than a counterfeit. It looks the same from the outside but it certainly is vastly different beneath the surface. Something which is widely accepted in the world of cars and motorbikes as well. I don't have a problem with it as long as it isn't made to deceive people into buying the real thing and as long as it doesn't copy color schemes and brand logos.

ChrisB

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2023, 07:29:44 AM »
My frame is an Emonda copy, I was able to only have one short 50km ride so far.
Long term experience will need a few more months, but so far so good.
There is nothing crazy in terms of technology on this frame that I would expect to cause any problems.

The only negative is, that it uses a copy of the Trek "seat mast" instead of a traditional seat post. You can not easily find such "seat masts" as separate parts on Ali.
In my case I wanted to fit a saddle with carbon rails but the seller could not offer the adapter parts for 7x9 rails.
Finally I found the adapter parts from Kocvelo on Ali that work perfectly with the clone Trek "seat mast":
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005066568629.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.183.47521802HDOx8x

I would also be careful with the Isospeed copy, my guess is you need to really understand how that thing works before making a copy.

BR Chris
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 07:35:23 AM by ChrisB »