Author Topic: Elves Falath EVO 2023  (Read 24130 times)

gaskrank

Re: Elves Falath EVO 2023
« Reply #75 on: June 24, 2023, 06:50:22 PM »
https://imgur.com/a/rJj9r9s
Bike feels really good, it's easier to stay tucked in than my rim brake Madone, the flat aero bars also help since you can put some weight with your wrists. It accelerates way better than my TT bike but almost holds a 50kmh pull as well, the perfect bike for flat roads.
I'll test it in uphills this weekend

Thanks for sharing your build including riding footage! It's very much appreciated and helps a lot! I'm 196 cm (6"5) and exploring the (chinese) market for a new roadbike frame. Unfortunately there are not many options out there for us tall riders. I like the Elves frame but I'm still not sure if the low stack number is too aggressive for me. I'm lookin for an all out racebike since I own a gravelbike with relaxed geometry already but I know for sure that I couldn't hold your extreme riding position comfortably for more than a few minutes.

May I ask whats your inseam? And what stem length are you running?

erallen30

« Reply #76 on: June 27, 2023, 06:08:55 PM »
After watching the Cam Nicholls video, am I the only one who doesn't think this bike looks fast? It looks like it was designed to have the appearance of being aero from the side profile, but clearly fails in several areas. The frontal profile on the head tube and fork is super chunky compared to the Falath Pro. Everyone knows frontal area=drag. There's also a lot of weird tube profiles, the seat tube and gusset have a really square frontal profile, and the top-down cross-section of the head-tube right behind the steerer doesn't really taper, instead terminating in a chunky square flat back like on a Trek Madone. This area of the head-tube is probably the most important part to make as narrow as possible since it gets the cleanest air. But then the downtube narrows and never widens again to shield the water bottle. It's backwards of what you want, which is narrow up top and a wider, flatter back down low to shield the bottle. I just don't get it. I'm not an aerodynamics expert but this bike seems to just violate a bunch of aero principles I know of. I wouldn't be surprised if the outgoing model is faster with bottles on.

That and it's heavy. I initially saw online rumors that the frame would be ~900gr. Now 400 grams over that? Even heavier than the outgoing model? I can't see this being popular.

I 100% agree with you. It's the very flattened backside of tubes that seem slow. Really awkward gap at the rear-wheel as well.

« Reply #77 on: June 29, 2023, 04:45:25 AM »
Thanks for sharing your build including riding footage! It's very much appreciated and helps a lot! I'm 196 cm (6"5) and exploring the (chinese) market for a new roadbike frame. Unfortunately there are not many options out there for us tall riders. I like the Elves frame but I'm still not sure if the low stack number is too aggressive for me. I'm lookin for an all out racebike since I own a gravelbike with relaxed geometry already but I know for sure that I couldn't hold your extreme riding position comfortably for more than a few minutes.

May I ask whats your inseam? And what stem length are you running?

Im running 420x130mm bars, the biggest size they have. I'm 1m98 with a ~96cm inseam. The bike fits me perfectly, it is an aero race bike tho, I have very flexible hips and work on mobility and I'm not in that position for a whole 4h ride haha

« Reply #78 on: June 29, 2023, 05:27:40 AM »
Already +500k on the bike, it definitely isn't the best bike for a chill/recovery ride haha, really stiff everywhere.
I have a slight issue with the chainstays, they flare out and my shoes are so damn long they're slightly rubbing the left chainstay when I'm out of the saddle, my Q factor is already quite big since I have Assioma pedals, might add a washer or two.
I put some clear tape so it won't damage the paint any further. The frame also didn't have any chainstay protection cover or metal cover for the BB, ordered some and might epoxy a metal cover on the chainstay
Apart from that no issues whatsoever
https://imgur.com/a/2m6DyY2
« Last Edit: June 29, 2023, 05:30:44 AM by ExclusiviteChinoise »

« Reply #79 on: June 29, 2023, 05:48:56 AM »
Also, if you guys saw the Cam Nicholls' video about the steerer being 50/50 carbon/fiberglass, Elves made an insta post about why they put fiberglass in their steerer. They're more transparent than the whole bike industry haha
GC Performance also made a video about it
I personally didn't even see there was 2 different materials in the steerer... the bonding between the 2 is well made, I cut the steerer myself and had 0 issues

gaskrank

« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2023, 04:22:21 PM »
Yeah, seems like "fibreglass gate" is in fact a non-issue and common practice especially on higher-quality frames even of top tier brands to ensure a perfectly round non-corroding fit for the expander plug. It's actually a good thing! Verdict: Don't listen to self-proclaimed "experts" on YouTube...

Thanks again for the first-hand tall-rider-experience!  8)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2023, 04:24:00 PM by gaskrank »

Dark17

« Reply #81 on: November 14, 2023, 12:53:04 AM »
Hambini got this frame a review

rematistang jempoy (sprinter fred) from The Philippines

jfcb

« Reply #82 on: November 14, 2023, 03:52:24 AM »
Hambini got this frame a review
Honest 'reaming' and I like his sense of humor. It's always a good reminder to be careful with reviews from youtubers/influencers that 'got' their frame from the brand spontaneously for reviewing.

PLA

« Reply #83 on: November 14, 2023, 07:18:35 AM »
And to think that Elves head office and the UK distributor have both been in talks with Hambini for 6 months prior to the release of the review (the distributor told me this via email) ... I imagine the review could have been a whole lot worse.

Elves is on my hard avoid list.
It’s so clearly a LARP of an aero bike.

kbernstein

« Reply #84 on: November 14, 2023, 08:38:14 AM »
It's one of the bikes that was featured so much on youtube that I definitely felt something was wrong. The raised top tube is one of the dumbest gimmicks I've seen recently, I really don't see the point, makes the bike look like it has no shoulders for a ridiculous aero gain

patliean1

« Reply #85 on: November 14, 2023, 09:51:59 AM »
I mentioned this in the Hygge Aero thread:

Be cautious of any brand being heavily promoted online where the primary focus is on the asthetics of the frame (custom paint, UCI whatever) rather than the actual quality and performance. Makes you appreciate brands like Yishun.

The problem with the Falath EVO as I see it is it's the perfect bike to attract clicks and views for YouTube. The frame design is unique (albeit polarizing) and budget-minded customers have been looking for the next good thing since Winspace. However, in real world practicality it does not seem like YouTubers are actually using their Falath EVO as their primary bikes. Just like LTWO ERX: Sounds great on paper and for views, but not as a permanent solution yet.

Speaking of Winspace, it's interesting how 4 years later we have still yet to see a true one to one competitor to the T1500/Hyper Wheels in terms of branding, innovation, performance, and reach to the Western world. We've seen some wheel brands gain success by basically using Winspace's marketing approach, but not to the same level of success. Ironically, Winspace's success is also the reason they have been on the decline.

Dark17

« Reply #86 on: November 14, 2023, 10:19:58 AM »
Elves Falath PRO was much better choice and has better quality than the newer version. I think the EVO and PRO have different manufacturers. Eddy from Tideace/Haidelibikes said that they manufacture for Elves since FM-CR08 is basically the PRO. I don't know what EVO is but someone in comment section said that it was originally an open mold for time trial frame
rematistang jempoy (sprinter fred) from The Philippines

sbellote

« Reply #87 on: November 14, 2023, 10:21:35 AM »
However, in real world practicality it does not seem like YouTubers are actually using their Falath EVO as their primary bikes. Just like LTWO ERX: Sounds great on paper and for views, but not as a permanent solution yet.
to me, this is key. If you have a spare bike, or multiple, I believe the approach to issues is totally different than only having 1 bike, which needs to be trustworthy, and that you wouldn't want to deal with issues and mechanicals on a regular basis...
that something that really draws me to someone like TraceVelo... who, although he has multiple bikes, he's always really transparent about the issues (like ERX for example which he's been a critic since the 1st video, albeit optimistic), also about having received or bought (anonymously), and he rides a lot all of his bikes

Speaking of Winspace, it's interesting how 4 years later we have still yet to see a true one to one competitor to the T1500/Hyper Wheels in terms of branding, innovation, performance, and reach to the Western world. We've seen some wheel brands gain success by basically using Winspace's marketing approach, but not to the same level of success. Ironically, Winspace's success is also the reason they have been on the decline.
I think it was a combination that'll be hard to see again... the marketing approach (which was Joe/ChinaCycling's doing, I believe) with youtubers, pushing products but also not trying to flee or hide the issues and critics, and for sure the way they arrived at western markets, offering easier ways to get the wheels, good communication, a good price (for the offering)
now although there are other brands using similar techniques, there are also lots of options out there, while Winspace was more by themselves...

I'm an outsider on this so I can be saying shit, but it's what it seems from my pov

kubackje

« Reply #88 on: November 14, 2023, 10:25:23 AM »
I like that Hambini exposed this larp Jordain.
Dude is an absolute cancer. He does not even ride bikes, have no experience and measures the BB with some cheap aliexpress caliper claiming he an expert. But he is just some wannabe cyclist who knows shit.
His whole idea is to review as much crap as possible, act like an expert just to get paid promotions from Chinese brands. F this dude.

Froglover825

« Reply #89 on: November 14, 2023, 08:11:08 PM »
I like that Hambini exposed this larp Jordain.
Dude is an absolute cancer. He does not even ride bikes, have no experience and measures the BB with some cheap aliexpress caliper claiming he an expert. But he is just some wannabe cyclist who knows shit.
His whole idea is to review as much crap as possible, act like an expert just to get paid promotions from Chinese brands. F this dude.
Honestly he is a super Fred, i don't blame him though, if i could make vids and get free items in return for some shilling i probably would as well, albeit i wouldn't show my face or name.