Author Topic: Fake/chinese frame or legit western brand bike ? (  (Read 972 times)

Fake/chinese frame or legit western brand bike ? (
« on: January 23, 2023, 04:28:12 AM »
I'm looking for an aero crit beast bike (45kmh + in training and around same speed in races)
My current road bike (Trek Madone 4.9 2010 is good, stiffer than my first bike (Giant Contend 2019 aluminium) but still feels like a noodle tbh, bought a Giant Trinity in august and it is just another world in terms of aero and stiffness)
So I need an aero + stiff bike, I'm really flexible so no issues on agressive geometry

I have a budget of around 3-4k euros max, I'm really hesitating between a real western brand like Giant and aliexpress/fake chinese frame etc
I could buy the new Giant Propel 2023 with 105 mechanical, its 3k euros but with alloy wheels

Or for around the same price I could buy the new 105 di2 (or used ultegra di2) + some Elite/Winspace wheels and an aliexpress frame (either fake pinarello or legit Dengfu, Hongfu, Yoeleo etc)
Or a real frame but used, but I'm looking for disc brakes and preferably di2.

Other issues with aliexpress/chinese carbon frames is that most of them don't do size 58+cm, I'm 1m98/6foot6 so I need at least a 60cm, my current Trek Madone 4.9 is a 61cm+ big stem and I could put a longer stem there..

What do you guys think ? Any tall riders that bought a chinese frame ? Cheers

carbonazza

Re: Fake/chinese frame or legit western brand bike ? (
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2023, 04:55:45 AM »
You know that Giant is from Taiwan, that can be seen more Eastern than China  ;D
My theory is, if you look at a top end branded bikes, you'll pay about half or less, the price for the same or better equipment.

Don't buy on the first shiny aliexpress seller you find, but do some homework by reading here what sellers have good reputation.
Personally I value more after sales service and reliability of a Chinese brand building their own models, than sellers of copies.

I'm having a hard time to find a frame for a 1.95m guy that is less flexible than you.
I would go for this one https://www.flybike-asia.com/product/148.html ( by Carbonda ) if I didn't have to put 6cm of spacers under his stem although Carbonda told me it is safe.
You should have more luck.

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2023, 05:49:28 AM »
You know that Giant is from Taiwan, that can be seen more Eastern than China  ;D
My theory is, if you look at a top end branded bikes, you'll pay about half or less, the price for the same or better equipment.

Don't buy on the first shiny aliexpress seller you find, but do some homework by reading here what sellers have good reputation.
Personally I value more after sales service and reliability of a Chinese brand building their own models, than sellers of copies.

I'm having a hard time to find a frame for a 1.95m guy that is less flexible than you.
I would go for this one https://www.flybike-asia.com/product/148.html ( by Carbonda ) if I didn't have to put 6cm of spacers under his stem although Carbonda told me it is safe.
You should have more luck.

Ok thanks for the suggestion, between the top manufacturers (Carbonda, Speeder, Dongfu, Hongfu, Workswell, etc) is there one that really stands out or all they all good ?

svanimpe

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2023, 07:48:50 AM »

Does Carbonda offer that model? It crossed my path as well because of it's low reach/high stack ratio. However, the seat tube may be too short for a 1m95 rider, depending on their leg length.

carbonazza

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2023, 04:58:00 PM »
Ok thanks for the suggestion, between the top manufacturers (Carbonda, Speeder, Dongfu, Hongfu, Workswell, etc) is there one that really stands out or all they all good ?
I started with frames from Peter, until he left.
I've built a few workswell hardtails, never had an issue with them but it looks their service is non-existent.
I almost exclusively build bikes from Carbonda now.

carbonazza

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2023, 05:00:03 PM »
Does Carbonda offer that model?
Yes, you may ask Wing when they open after the Spring Festival

bremerradkurier

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2023, 03:19:12 PM »
Canyon Aeroad should be fairly well equipped at the 3-4k euro price point.

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2023, 04:44:20 AM »
Canyon Aeroad should be fairly well equipped at the 3-4k euro price point.

I know it sounds retarded since non moving cable housings don't produce a significant amount of drag but I really want an all integrated frame that looks good af you know, for 4k euros which would be my max budget (and honestly actually above my budget) I could get an Aeroad with mechanical Ultegra indeed, but it's non integrated :/
I could get an Elves Falath or Winspace T1500 and some good wheels + used Di2 and that would be a banger for the same price of the Canyon Aeroad so idk