Author Topic: Elves vs Winspace ?  (Read 1341 times)

Elves vs Winspace ?
« on: February 05, 2023, 04:56:35 AM »
I'm looking to buy a new bike, really hesitating between all the options I have (Propel from my Giant LBS with 105 mechanical disc and alloy wheels) or buy a chinese frame from Winspace, Elves etc and build it myself with Di2 & carbon wheelset.

I have a 2010 Trek Madone 4.9 with 10s Ultegra (rim) (see below), it's better than my first road ever road bike (Giant Contend aluminium frame) but is like a noodle compared to my Giant Trinity that I bought in august. I need a buy for racing that's stiff & aero, and that fits me well (1m98/6foot6).

I thought it was going to be impossible to find a frame fitting me from a chinese manufacturer since their biggest size is usually 58cm (my Trek Madone being a 61cm), but the top tube length on my Madone is "only" 57cm, + my stem is 110mm but as you can see I don't have an agressive position on it at all lol, I'm really flexible so I will probably change the stem angle and slam in soon tho. Elves 3XL top tube is 56cm but the head tube is really small compared to my Madone (173mm vs 210mm), so it actually would be a really good agressive racing frame for me, same for Winspace their XL their top tube length is 58cm and head tube is 170mm. My headtube on the Madone is 210mm lol...

I could also just buy a rim brake frameset from Winspace or Elves and maybe a pair of Hypers or wheelset from Elves, Elitewheels etc and put my 10s Ultegra until I get more money to buy used/new rim di2 groupset. Still kinda hesitating between staying on rim or going full gas on disc since my Giant Trinity is rim and if I stay on rim I could switch out the wheels... so idk + I live in Paris so not in a mountain area no real need for disc

Should I wait for Winspace to release their T1550 and Elves for their new Falath Evo you think ? They're probably gonna be disc only ?

Thanks

Tines

Re: Elves vs Winspace ?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2023, 09:33:22 AM »
What happened to the top tube?

dsveddy

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2023, 10:26:56 AM »
Everything about this confuses me, the Trek Madone 4 series was never offered in a 61cm size. They are always even numbered sizes. I don't think there exists a Madone with listed size in the 60s but an effective top tube length of ~57cm.

Anyways, I suggest you compare your geometry on bikeinsights.com. The closest madone in their database that I could find compared to what you describe is the 2010 Madone 5 Series in a size 58, which has an effective top tube length off 572mm.

The numbers you want to compare are reach and stack, not top-tube length. If you aren't familiar, here's an article that explains: https://www.bikeradar.com/features/your-top-tube-length-is-irrelevant/

The new Falath Evo is going to be disc only. Likewise with anything Winspace makes in the future. I personally like the design of the Falath Pro better than the Winspace, but it's going to be heavy (like 1400gr). If you get the "59" Falath, it's going to have a reach that's only 3mm short of the Madone in a 58, which you can easily compensate with stem length. Keep in mind you will also want to compensate for bar reach--your bars probably have a 85-90mm reach, which will be 8-13mm shorter than the 77mm that is standard on carbon integrated bars from china, so maybe a 120mm stem is sufficient, or maybe you will want a 130mm stem. Personally I am stepping up to 130mm from 110 to overcome a similar reach shortfall.

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2023, 12:08:31 PM »
What happened to the top tube?

Crash last year, broke my collarbone and the bars smashed into the top tube. I actually rode the bike like 10 000km with a ~7cm long crack and everything was fine, decided to repair it couple months ago, didn't sand it down and repaint it, I'll do that in the summer when humidity&temperature will be good (bought the bike for 200 euros november 2021 and repainted it in december but it wasn't a great idea the clear coat took ages to really harden since it was done in winter)

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2023, 12:15:35 PM »
Everything about this confuses me, the Trek Madone 4 series was never offered in a 61cm size. They are always even numbered sizes. I don't think there exists a Madone with listed size in the 60s but an effective top tube length of ~57cm.

Anyways, I suggest you compare your geometry on bikeinsights.com. The closest madone in their database that I could find compared to what you describe is the 2010 Madone 5 Series in a size 58, which has an effective top tube length off 572mm.

The numbers you want to compare are reach and stack, not top-tube length. If you aren't familiar, here's an article that explains: https://www.bikeradar.com/features/your-top-tube-length-is-irrelevant/

The new Falath Evo is going to be disc only. Likewise with anything Winspace makes in the future. I personally like the design of the Falath Pro better than the Winspace, but it's going to be heavy (like 1400gr). If you get the "59" Falath, it's going to have a reach that's only 3mm short of the Madone in a 58, which you can easily compensate with stem length. Keep in mind you will also want to compensate for bar reach--your bars probably have a 85-90mm reach, which will be 8-13mm shorter than the 77mm that is standard on carbon integrated bars from china, so maybe a 120mm stem is sufficient, or maybe you will want a 130mm stem. Personally I am stepping up to 130mm from 110 to overcome a similar reach shortfall.

This is the bike https://bouticycle.com/Madone-4-9 Apparently no 61cm just 60 and 62cm, I don't remember before sanding it but there was a sticker with the frame size, it was either 60 or 62cm

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2023, 12:16:38 PM »

Yeah so it's a 60cm https://geometrygeeks.bike/bike/trek-madone-5-series-2010/ stack is 61.4cm