Author Topic: SES AR Road Handlebar from Aliexpress  (Read 2778 times)

pearl

Re: SES AR Road Handlebar from Aliexpress
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2023, 06:27:46 AM »
You can pickup a pair of prime doyenne aluminum aero handlebars from wiggle for what, $75 aud? and carbon for $275

Was looking for these but the size I want is sold out.

patliean1

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2023, 08:40:42 AM »
Another co-sign here for both the Prime alloy and carbon aero handlebars. I've been using both for years and are fantastic.

It's a shame Wiggle/Chain Reaction can't see to keep these bars in-stock, but I understand. They are a fantastic value.

jonathanf2

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2023, 11:13:00 AM »
It seems like RXL is hit or miss, but I've been riding with these flared carbon bars for several months on two road bikes and they work great. Most of my riding is climbing and descending so I prefer the slightly wider drops. I find them adequately stiff, but they still do a decent job of absorbing road chatter.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803093583495.html

They're also available on US Amazon if you're impatient:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B28NHVXS
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 11:16:51 AM by jonathanf2 »

FHS

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2023, 08:05:32 PM »
Taking the gamble on aliexpress carbon Aero Handlebars doesn't seem worth it imo, they all seem to be very prone to cracks.
You can pickup a pair of prime doyenne aluminum aero handlebars from wiggle for what, $75 aud? and carbon for $275

I have the aluminum version on two of my bikes and they look really nice especially if you reverse wrap with no tape and don't wrap the flat tops.

I like that they have a decent looking aluminum bar option at a reasonable price. The 75mm reach makes it something I'd be interested in as well. But, $275 puts the carbon option out of consideration when there would be so many other brands to look at in that price range.

I would also like to know why you think all aliexpress carbon bars are prone to cracking. I took the gamble on a set of EC90 bars and I'm pleased so far. It has cosmetic issues, but seems well built enough to not have to worry about it imploding in the middle of a hard sprint.

Froglover825

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2023, 01:42:45 AM »
I like that they have a decent looking aluminum bar option at a reasonable price. The 75mm reach makes it something I'd be interested in as well. But, $275 puts the carbon option out of consideration when there would be so many other brands to look at in that price range.

I would also like to know why you think all aliexpress carbon bars are prone to cracking. I took the gamble on a set of EC90 bars and I'm pleased so far. It has cosmetic issues, but seems well built enough to not have to worry about it imploding in the middle of a hard sprint.
I agree with you on the prime carbon are a bit pricy at $275 the aluminum is very reasonably priced however.

In terms of aliexpress carbon bars, i've watched a lot of vids involving full china builds & read a lot forum posts and overall people have a positive time when it comes to their builds, however the one component in the builds that frequently have issues is the carbon bars. They are either incredibly flexy to the point that aluminum is far better, develop cracks after a month of normal use, or have holes that are so poorly drilled they cause issues with build and require some work from the customer.
Like all cheaper carbon parts there's always a risk to gain you are willing to take, for me at least, the 200g saving isn't worth the potential broken bones from carbon handlebars snapping on me.

pearl

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2023, 12:56:04 PM »
if someone can suggest a bar with 38mm tops, flaring to 40 or 42mm thats aluminum, i'll buy that instead lol

patliean1

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2023, 01:04:10 PM »
if someone can suggest a bar with 38mm tops, flaring to 40 or 42mm thats aluminum, i'll buy that instead lol

This will most likely be my next handlebar purchase. I've been eyeing getting a SEKA frameset soon, and the extra reach on these bars will be perfect. You may need to plan your stem length according however. I suspect these will be just has fantastic as Prime's alloy bars, except the claimed weight on these are lighter by 50-55 grams.

https://www.fsaproshop.com/products/trimax-aero-alloy-handlebar

FSA Trimax Aero Alloy Handlebar

• Alloy construction
• 7° Forward angle
• Cable groove compatible with new Di2 systems w/larger internal cable tunnel
• 125mm drop, 90mm reach
4 degree outward bend
• 310 grams (420mm)

StiffWeenies

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2023, 02:26:29 PM »
This will most likely be my next handlebar purchase. I've been eyeing getting a SEKA frameset soon, and the extra reach on these bars will be perfect. You may need to plan your stem length according however. I suspect these will be just has fantastic as Prime's alloy bars, except the claimed weight on these are lighter by 50-55 grams.

https://www.fsaproshop.com/products/trimax-aero-alloy-handlebar

FSA Trimax Aero Alloy Handlebar

• Alloy construction
• 7° Forward angle
• Cable groove compatible with new Di2 systems w/larger internal cable tunnel
• 125mm drop, 90mm reach
4 degree outward bend
• 310 grams (420mm)

Which stem would you be using? Seka uses a proprietary headset cover shape so you'd need their adapter for conventional stems

patliean1

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2023, 02:46:01 PM »
Which stem would you be using? Seka uses a proprietary headset cover shape so you'd need their adapter for conventional stems

Thank you once again SW for chiming in. Had no idea SEKA included that adapter if requested.

I'm opting for my own stem, only in the event a 400/130 integrated cockpit isn't easily available from SEKA or their Aussie dealer. Just a standard ZIPP stem if need be.

Tdiguy

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2023, 06:31:42 PM »
Has anyone tried out the stem from the ali or the same seller?

pearl

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2023, 12:28:57 PM »
So I have about 8 hours between the two handlebars and so far so good. 7 of those hours were road miles (on my all road bike). Minus trying to get my hoods in the exact position I want them to and getting comfortable on them, they have been good.

I rode the ones on my gravel bike on my local MTB trail today for the first time and I was nervous, but they did not let me down either. At first I was concerned but about halfway through my ride I totally forgot about it.

Tdiguy

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2023, 08:48:54 AM »
They look great, thanks for the feedback!

Sebastian

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2023, 11:56:24 AM »
I’m running three different carbon bars from OG Evkin and I think these bars strike a particularly good middle ground. Not too light. Not too expensive but also not too cheap. They seem to be well made and well finished. Yes, you might get rough edges at the entry and exit holes on the bars but that doesn’t bother me. That’s a problem that can be solved in a matter of minutes with a small file.

I’ve been running one of these bars - an aero bar with internal cabling - on my steel road bike for more than three years and about 15.000km with no issues. I do actually own the Prime Primavera carbon bars, first generation. And while these are stiffer, the cheaper OG Evkin bars are much comfier to ride on. And they don’t slow me down in sprints. After riding these bars for that long, I definitely trust them. I also run a standard round carbon bar on my commuter that I even crashed on. It held up fine. No damage.

With all that said: I do agree that there’s a risk involved. But I also had FSA Wing Pro alloy bars develop cracks. Still, I’d probably never put 30USD carbon bars on an MTB and bomb down huge drops.  For those kind of use cases I’d still prefer metal bars from a reputable brand.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2023, 12:03:35 PM by Sebastian »

pearl

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2023, 06:03:55 AM »
Did a 50 mile gravel race with these, filled with potholes and other big hits to them and they are still kicking. Big confidence booster.