Author Topic: SES AR Road Handlebar from Aliexpress  (Read 2778 times)

pearl

SES AR Road Handlebar from Aliexpress
« on: March 01, 2023, 05:43:09 PM »
Howdy friends, looking for something similar to the Enve carbon aero bar. I want a slight flare and want it to be pretty narrow up top, looking at the 37cm up top.

Any suggestions? I’ve scoured Ali express but nothing seems to fit the bill as much as I’d like.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 08:39:36 AM by pearl »

Yunglord

Re: Carbon Aero Bar search…
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2023, 09:02:41 PM »
There's this - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003336228394.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.97.75141802Iq9g55

Which I ordered in 38 CM I haven't really rode it much as it was on one of my back-up bikes but it is stiff.

pearl

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2023, 05:59:32 AM »
Thank you! Any real life photos of it installed on your rig?

Can you put a standard garmin mount on the bar besides the stem, or does it need the stem one for it?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2023, 06:02:13 AM by pearl »

Yunglord

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2023, 10:58:41 AM »
Hey Pearl!

Unfortunately, no pictures of it as I'm currently spending the winter away from home base.

I think it would be better with a stem GPS mount but while I was using that setup I used the elastic mount on top of the stem as I didn't have a second handlebar mount by then.

If you are patient I'll be back home for the start of April and can definitely snap pics then as I will be using the handlebar on my new build!

pearl

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2023, 01:24:13 PM »
interesting, im torn between these and the RXL ones I found on Amazon, mostly because i can return to amazon without any drama...

https://www.amazon.com/drop-bars-road-bike-handlebar/dp/B0B254K156?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

coffeebreak

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2023, 01:43:11 PM »
I have slightly different RXL bars from Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RLMR1SK and I can confirm that those are positively shite. Super flexy and ICR is painful. The holes for ICR are tiny and unfinished. All my cables were scratched trying to put them thru. If you do go ahead with this model, let us know. I might switch to them.

pearl

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2023, 02:22:13 PM »
oof maybe ill stay away then...

Yunglord

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2023, 02:27:20 PM »
I was looking at these personally as they are a bit lighter then the F'enve's

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004464102843.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.6a8138dagfEsou&mp=1

slight flare for the 38 they measure 37 H to H and 39 D to D.

pearl

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2023, 03:33:12 PM »
i did see those too, but it looks like the EC90 bar? i'm looking to put them on my gravel bike... so worried about destroying it!

FHS

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2023, 02:32:05 PM »
i did see those too, but it looks like the EC90 bar? i'm looking to put them on my gravel bike... so worried about destroying it!

Identical to the EC90 bar, which I just picked up from Aliexpress. The set I have has a crappy finish, you can see some "ridges" in the layup, but it's stiff enough and functional. The ridges would be kind of annoying if I ever rode the tops, but I don't, so f' it. Can't complain for how inexpensive they are and the less than two weeks shipping to California.

pearl

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2023, 12:40:33 PM »

pearl

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2023, 08:37:51 AM »
Got these in this weekend and put them on, the cons I had/experienced:

The clamping area seems bigger than 31.6 compared to my Zipp stem. I went to tighten them and heard some crunching, maybe it was my fault for going to 5nm, but I seemed to have to "jam" it in.
On my Deda stem I did not have this issue.

Getting the controls onto the bars was kind of rough, I had to wiggle them to the point that there was enough heat generated on the metal clamp for my levers, if that makes sense. Again, seems like its too "thick" compared to a regular handle bar.

Once I got everything in place and torqued to 4nm on the Deda stem, they felt solid. It's my first run with carbon handlebars so seeing any sort of "flex" is kind of weird, but they felt sturdy on the quick spin I took yesterday. I plan to take my gravel bike with these bars for a true test this weekend, fingers crossed, and that will be the true test!

Tdiguy

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2023, 11:40:30 AM »
Hey Pearl!

Unfortunately, no pictures of it as I'm currently spending the winter away from home base.

I think it would be better with a stem GPS mount but while I was using that setup I used the elastic mount on top of the stem as I didn't have a second handlebar mount by then.

If you are patient I'll be back home for the start of April and can definitely snap pics then as I will be using the handlebar on my new build!

Hey Pearl I’d be curious to know how these fit/feel when you start using them.

pearl

Re: SES AR Road Handlebar from Aliexpress
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2023, 01:10:37 PM »
getting used to the flare at the moment, everything feels comfortable to me at the moment! i'll get some photos of them shortly. Hardest thing right now is lining them up to be straight/even lol

Froglover825

Re: SES AR Road Handlebar from Aliexpress
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2023, 07:34:31 PM »
Taking the gamble on aliexpress carbon Aero Handlebars doesn't seem worth it imo, they all seem to be very prone to cracks.
You can pickup a pair of prime doyenne aluminum aero handlebars from wiggle for what, $75 aud? and carbon for $275

I have the aluminum version on two of my bikes and they look really nice especially if you reverse wrap with no tape and don't wrap the flat tops.